joshtried\ dateline='\'1449694147' Wrote: the videos being converted have not changed massively in size. Maybe a few here and there went from 700mb to 1.3 gb. I try and stick to smaller videos files. I am not expecting a video file 4x the size the convert in the same amount of time. But 700mb 1.5 years ago took roughly an hour, vs 700mb taking 16 hours now.
As for the codecs/file types... I have seen no new files types. mkv, mp4, and avi. Something i have noticed though is that some avi's will drag and drop and need no conversion, while others do. I havent figured out why that might be either. mp4 sometimes doesnt need to convert either, while mkv always does.
I dont debate that i dont have the best computer in the world, but mac's dont exactly crap out slowly either. It is either fine, or it is dead. Not a lot of in between.
What other information can i provide that would help narrow down what is going on?
If i used handbrake, would the file be able to instantly drag and drop into my 360 list?
Let me start with your handbrake question. I have never used the program. I do not do any converting. I watch about 85% of the stuff I download on my computer. The other 15% I drop directly into iTunes without conversion to watch on my iPad. The reason I mentioned handbrake is:
1) It is free
2) It is the program I see the folks whose opinion I trust the most recommend
Give it a try it is free. My understanding is that it is a bit tricky to set up initially but once it is set up it is the best program out there. From what I have heard there are lots of youtube videos showing in great detail how to set it up! The point here is trying to figure out if the problem is Vuze or your computer or what! Obviously if you have the same problem with handbrake we can say pretty clearly that the problem is not specific to Vuze. How long handbrake takes to convert the same video is going to tell us a lot.
Before I go further I will say very clearly that conversions are not something that I am an expert about by any stretch of the imagination.
The bit I highlighted in red. I suspect that the differences are the way those videos are encoded. I know that different encoding schemes take more or less horsepower to get done. I would try to find a program which tells you the technical details of the video file you are trying to convert and use that on the ones that drag and drop without conversion and the ones that do. Finding that difference might lead you to either choosing different torrents to download or lead you to the best conversion program for that type of file.
The bit I highlighted in green . . . same thing really.
Just because the file type is the same it does not mean that the codec's and whatever else plays into the encoding of the video are the same!
Without knowing exactly what to tell you to look for . . . I again suggest finding some video player or whatever for your computer that will give you that information.
I know that VLC player gives a lot of that information (press command-i after loading a video and click on the various tabs). It is also a free download let me find you a link . . . https://www.videolan.org/vlc/
You can get the most basic information from QuickTime . . . but since there is a lot of stuff that QuickTime does not play and the information is cursory at best so VLC is a better option.
You could also try ~sedna Movie Thumbnails Free (available from the App store) but that creates a mosaic screen shot of videos and can take a while to run. Even when it is done it does not give you quite as much data as VLC.
I am just trying to help you identify what the problem might be. I still suspect that there is some relatively recent change in the way some folks are making and or converting the videos which just does not play well with your older Mac . . . but that is only slightly more than a guess. Between trying handbrake and examining the details of the videos which will play with and without conversion we are going to get a lot closer to finding the exact nature of the problem and or finding a solution!