Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: IP Filter/Security Questions

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 10, 2012 2:59 PM Last Post By: rimce44
RustyVenture

IP Filter/Security Questions
Posted: Jul 3, 2011 7:32 AM

Click to report abuse...
My knowledge and understanding of computers is quite limited, and for the longest time I've been using torrents without the sort of protection it appears I should have been.

A trusted friend installed Azureus onto my desktop quite awhile back (I want to say '06), and I converted to Vuze when time came, and have never had any real problems with the program. I have never had any great trouble with torrents either, continuing to use them even after the forementioned friend moved away, and kind of thought it was a common thing to make use of them - though, thats not to say I actually understood how they worked all that well either.

All that I can gather is, we all sort of 'share' stuff that we have access to, and everyone gives small portions to everyone else (giving as much as they get), and its all good.... except, after doing some investigating into how it really works and how the people who attempt monitoring/policing go about it , it now sounds more like 'we all sort of share stuff, the computer-savvy folks avoid most of the danger and the people who dont know what theyre doing get caught'; which makes me alittle nervous, being of the latter category.

So, I was about to start a torrent recently, and I noticed in the comments section that someone using my ISP had noted they recieved an infringement warning, to which another person responded that they should be using PeerBlock or something similar (which I don't), else they are imbeciles (which I apparently am).

After a bit of searching around on Google and the Vuze forums, it appears Vuze has a built in IP filter that functions in much the same way.
(NOTE: I am well aware this is not a 100% cover-all, but it certainly seems to diminish one's chances of discovery. And yes, I am aware this is a debated matter - and you can see where I stand).
Unfortunately, most of the threads I had a look at were pre-2010, so I'm wondering if someone could tell me: Where does one find the list(s) for IP filtering?

I've seen several URLs noted (mostly one called "bluetack", and some mention of a "Level1 list"), but again, the threads were so dated and vague that I wasn't able to gain much from them. I managed to find a site that seemed related to this bluetack thing, but my lack of understanding of what I was looking at resulted in it just being a jumble of nonsense (which I failed to interpret).

I am thoroughly confused, would greatly appreciate some input from someone in the know, and would be overjoyed to hear that this is just going to simply be a matter of pasting a URL into the Vuze options, perhaps occasionally checking a website every so often for an update.
Thank you in advance, and I'll give an Action-Johnny to anyone who can help me figure this out.
wyosasquatch

Re: IP Filter/Security Questions
Posted: Jul 6, 2011 8:22 AM   in response to: RustyVenture in response to: RustyVenture

Click to report abuse...
Rusty - I'm surprised nobody has helped you with this yet. I joined the forum to do just that.

Open Vuze, go to your preferences and then the "IP Filters" tab.

Paste http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/splist.zip into the "IP filter to autoload" box and then click "load now".

Don't download the file, just paste the url.

This file includes the following lists:

Level1
Level2
Bogon
D-Shield
Hijacked IP blocks
IANA Multicast
IANA Private
IANA Reserved
Microsoft
NonLan list
Bad Peers list

Vuze will redownload every 7 days, Bluetack updates the list every two weeks.

Hope this helps.

Edited by: wyosasquatch on Jul 6, 2011 8:23 AM
RustyVenture

Posted: Jul 8, 2011 6:19 AM   in response to: wyosasquatch in response to: wyosasquatch

Click to report abuse...
Thanks very much for the assistance!
And, as promised, your Action Johnny awaits above.

I was getting worried there for abit that my question was literally too stupid to warrant an answer, so thank goodness for good samaritans. ;)

Edited by: RustyVenture on Jul 8, 2011 6:19 AM
QfanatiQ

Posted: Jul 21, 2011 1:41 PM   in response to: wyosasquatch in response to: wyosasquatch

Click to report abuse...
Joined to say Thanks for this. I found one of these some time back. Searching again proves how hard (well hidden) this information appears to be.

Greatful for the share in location of a reg updated source.

Cheers.....Q
tiredoftryin

Posted: Jul 24, 2011 6:40 PM   in response to: wyosasquatch in response to: wyosasquatch

Click to report abuse...
i followed your directions, did not download the zip file, just pasted the url (http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/splist.zip) in the ip filters pane and hit 'load now' . the cursor changed into a 'thinking' cursor for a second like it was loading but then nothing appeared in the list box below.

My question(s) are: Should the list of blocked ip's (ip ranges) appear in the box at the bottom of the ip filters pane after I followed these steps? Essentially, is it working?

Thanks for your help in advance.. i will mark ya up

Edited by: tiredoftryin on Jul 24, 2011 6:41 PM

wyosasquatch

Posted: Jul 25, 2011 7:18 AM   in response to: tiredoftryin in response to: tiredoftryin

Click to report abuse...
Attachment Picture 66.png (139.8 KB)
tiredoftryin:

A list should appear in the ip filters pane. I've attached an image of what it looks like.

You might try loading it again, or checking it to see if it has loaded yet. Also make sure that you have enabled IP Filters, and that you have set the "Clear filters when reloading" to on. Otherwise, they won't take effect until you restart. I hope that helps.
Nick60

Posted: Jul 28, 2011 9:53 PM   in response to: RustyVenture in response to: RustyVenture

Click to report abuse...
What is the purpose of the IP filter? I am not trying to be stupid. I did get a list in the upper pane. What exactly does this do? Thanks in advance.
wyosasquatch

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 7:31 AM   in response to: Nick60 in response to: Nick60

Click to report abuse...
Nick - Whenever you are P2P sharing, you are being tracked. There are various groups that do it, but most notably the RIAA and MPAA. That is, unless you block or "filter" their known IP addresses from being part of your downloads. Basically, this list tells Vuze to block certain IP addresses from taking part in downloads/uploads, keeping these anti-piracy groups from seeing what you're downloading.

An IP filter hardly makes you anonymous, but it can significantly reduce your chances of being tracked by these groups. I hope that answers your question.
Nick60

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 10:13 AM   in response to: RustyVenture in response to: RustyVenture

Click to report abuse...
Thanks for the info. Is there a reliable solution for real privacy from ISP's. Thanks.
wyosasquatch

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 2:49 PM   in response to: Nick60 in response to: Nick60

Click to report abuse...
With the above list, your chances of getting tracked are pretty slim, there are more comprehensive lists if you're paranoid.

For example:

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/psplist.zip - is the paranoid IP Filter, which includes the following lists:

* Level1
* Level2
* Level3
* Rangetest list
* Ad Trackers
* Bogon Ranges
* D-Shield Recommended
* Educational Ranges
* Hijacked IP blocks
* IANA Multicast
* IANA Private
* IANA Reserved
* Microsoft Related
* Non-LAN list
* Spiders list
* Spyware list
* Proxy list
* Bad Peers list

Combine that with a proxy server, and you're chances of being tracked are about as close to zero as you can get. The only trouble with this is, the more IP addresses you block, the less there are to download from, which means slower download speeds.

Edited by: wyosasquatch on Jul 29, 2011 2:49 PM
newname600

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 1:47 PM   in response to: wyosasquatch in response to: wyosasquatch

Click to report abuse...
Man! I found this post and installed the bluetack and was suprised how many got banned. If you don't know what a Bogon is Google it. But my question is. Are some of these from people who are useing a proxy server.? And just want to stay hid, Does it just ban certain ip's or a block of ip's.? I have one file I'm trying to seed, and it seems like everone that wants to down load it gets banned. Proable good for me it may be highly watched. But thanks for the information I'll keep playing with it and see if I want to keep it, but right now it look's good. And been Googling some of the banned I.P.s
maskedman

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 4:23 PM   in response to: wyosasquatch in response to: wyosasquatch

Click to report abuse...
does the bluetack address end with psplist.zip or splist.zip? I have seen it both ways and I have not been able to get the list to load. BTW, hidemyass tries to suspend bittorrent users.
orbach

Posted: Feb 5, 2012 4:20 AM   in response to: wyosasquatch in response to: wyosasquatch

Click to report abuse...
Could you tell me how to use a Proxy Server? Do you mean an anonymous proxy server such as http://anonymouse.org? And do I set this up in Vuze in Options->Connection->Proxy Options? If so, which options here should I set here?

Thanks!
greenfaerie

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 12:49 AM   in response to: orbach in response to: orbach

Click to report abuse...
would.love.to.hear.the.answer.to.the.proxy.question.i.got.my.net.shut.off.the.other.night.bc.nbc.had.contacted.my.isp.and.told.them.they.uploaded.a.snl.from.me.they.made.me.delete.the.file.then.they.tured.my.net.back.on.told.me.that.was.there.way.of.handling.it.bc.people.normally.ignored.emails.they.wanted.me.to.remove.the.program.of.corse.but.thanks.a.million.blocked.LOADS!!!.and.the.proxy.info.would.be.most.helpful.
just.installed.peer.block.but.read.it.didnt.really.work

Edited by: greenfaerie on Apr 5, 2012 1:19 AM
rimce44

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 5:25 PM   in response to: orbach in response to: orbach

Click to report abuse...
I don't think using proxy is best solution.
---
Painter and Decorator in Catford Painter and Decorator North London

Edited by: rimce44 on 10-Apr-2012 14:56

Edited by: rimce44 on 10-Apr-2012 14:58
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member