Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Devices

Thread: converting video files to tivo and keeping and keeping original resolution

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 29, 2011 11:16 PM Last Post By: vlapesa
vlapesa

converting video files to tivo and keeping and keeping original resolution
Posted: Apr 29, 2011 10:51 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hi, I have a tivo premiere and I use vuze to convert my MKV files to VOB, then I transfer it to my tivo. Works great. It seems that Vuze converts all files to 720p, which is fine because most of my video MKV files are already in 720p. But sometimes I'll have a MKV file that's 1080p quality. When I covert those 1080p files to VOB, it seems to convert it to 720p. I'd like to keep the original quality when converting 1080p files. Is there a setting on Vuze to keep original resolution when converting? Please help. Thanks.
Phorat

Re: converting video files to tivo and keeping and keeping original resolution
Posted: Apr 29, 2011 1:50 PM   in response to: vlapesa in response to: vlapesa
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
Following is an edited re-post from an earlier thread in which I discussed this sort of thing. I think this should help...

First, I'll assume that you're not familiar with how to modify Vuze's transcoding environment. I apologize if this is already familiar territory for you.

Vuze uses "FFmpeg" to perform its transcoding (see: http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html). You can view the settings used by FFmpeg for your device within a .properties file located at one of the following locations:

In Vista/Windows 7, .properties files are stored in a folder within:

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Azureus\plugins\vuzexcode\profiles"

in Windows XP, they're at:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Azureus\plugins\vuzexcode\profiles"

On a Mac, they're at:

~\Library\Application Support\Vuze\plugins\vuzexcode\profiles

Within "..\profiles" are several small files (basically, text files of type ".properties") that have commands that relate to how FFmpeg builds the transcoded file that will be played on your device. Your .properties file will be "TiVo_HD.properties". The file may be opened and edited in a text editor (like Notepad). When you edit your device profile, make sure that it is saved as file type ".properties" after you're done making changes. Note that Vuze must be shut down and restarted before changes to the .properties file take effect.

There are two main command lines: one that determines the video codec and its settings, and one for the audio codec and its corresponding values. The two command lines look something like this (these are for the HD TiVo, and include my own changes to the arguments):

video-args= -vcodec mpeg2video -b 20000k -maxrate 35000k -bufsize 4096k -f vob

audio-args= -acodec ac3 -vol 512 -ac 6 -ar 48000 -ab 448000

Since I have a "full-resolution display" (i.e., a TV and DVR that can display HD or 1920 × 1080 images), I have removed any constraints or "flags" (the arguments delineated by "-" or "minus" signs) that specify the vertical and horizontal pixel counts. In fact, I have removed all of the "standalone" commands (e.g., "video-max-width = 1280"), so that my .properties file is rather "lean."

In your case, commands like "video-max-width = 1280" are artificially limiting the resolution of the .vob files that you are viewing with your TiVo. I would either "comment" them out, or just delete them outright. I have never trusted "implicit" commands like the "-max-" commands in the Vuze .properties files, so I got rid of them all. I run everything "explicitly" in Vuze. Consequently, I have a "lean" .properties file:

+ TiVo_HD.properties +

#General information

name = TiVo HD
device = tivo.generic
file-extension = .vob
icon_url = http://hwcdn01.vuze.com/devices/tv-hd.png

#Video information

video-args = -vcodec mpeg2video -b 20000k -maxrate 70000k -bufsize 4096k -f vob

#Audio information

audio-args = -acodec ac3 -vol 512 -ac 6 -ar 48000 -ab 448000

#Container information

container-format = vob

+ + +

My modus operandi when I get a new video is to check it first with VLC. VLC is the best video player out there - period. It also gives the user the ability to view the source's codec details under Tools > Codec Information > Codec Details. From there, I can see how many audio channels are present in the audio stream, what the audio languages are, what the audio bitrate is, etc. I then adjust my .properties file accordingly BEFORE I fire up Vuze. Once transcoding has started, I open the file while it is being transcoded by right-clicking on the file within Vuze Devices. This allows me to check if the audio is coming out OK.

A word of caution about my "homebrew" audio-arguments command line: the version that you see here is for a specific video that had 5.1 audio, an audio sample rate of 48000 and an audio bitrate of 448000. For another file with different settings, I would change my .properties file to "adapt" to those different setting, WITHIN CERTAIN GUIDELINES. For example, when the audio bitrate exceeds 448000, I do NOT increase the transcode bitrate accordingly, since a TiVo can't handle anything faster than 448000. Conversely, TiVo's require a minimum bitrate of 128000. Thus, even if the audio bitrate is less than 128K, I'll set the value "-ab 128000", even though this means that the audio file will be oversampled.
vlapesa

Re: converting video files to tivo and keeping and keeping original resolution
Posted: Apr 29, 2011 11:16 PM   in response to: Phorat in response to: Phorat

Click to report abuse...
Thank you very much
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts