Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: copyright complaint

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 24 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Feb 13, 2014 10:03 AM Last Post By: Zerberus Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
cherbear

copyright complaint
Posted: Jan 9, 2011 1:58 PM

Click to report abuse...
Got a copyright complaint emailed to me from downloading a movie on VUZE. Is there a way to avoid this? Or is it just a risk that is always there?
redbike2001

Re: copyright complaint
Posted: Jan 9, 2011 11:05 PM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
I got the same thing today from Charter. It was a complaint from Paramount for downloading True Grit and The Fighter on Jan 3rd. Would appreciate some advice and guidance on this one folks.
justanotheruser

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 1:29 AM   in response to: redbike2001 in response to: redbike2001

Click to report abuse...
This thread will probably be a good place to start. The gist is if you use public trackers you run this risk as BitTorrent was never designed to keep what was happening secret.
donny

Posted: Jan 14, 2011 5:27 AM   in response to: redbike2001 in response to: redbike2001

Click to report abuse...
I got the same thing.............. how can we hide our ip address or something like that
walkingtall

Posted: Jan 20, 2011 11:23 AM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
A man named Kelly Tillery, from DCS called my husbands work today looking for me. He is a copyright lawyer.
I'm a little freaked out and need as much advice as there is to give. I'm not a heavy VUZE user, maybe like 5 movies in the last couple months.
THEkimmer35

Posted: Jan 20, 2011 6:33 PM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
I have been using VUZE for about two years. I just started getting notices from my ISP that they would shut down my internet service if I continued to download movies. The only thing I do not understand is, why it took two years. And I am getting letters stating I downloaded movies and at the time I was in the hospital, so there is no way these dates are correct. Is VUZE really legal?
meavenson

Posted: Jan 20, 2011 7:06 PM   in response to: THEkimmer35 in response to: THEkimmer35

Click to report abuse...
I got a notice as well. I just recently started b/c before I was not set up to use vuze. I can tell you the first thing I will say to my ISP if they confront me about shutting me down. I'll say fine- Ill switch from Comcast to Uverse quicker than they can blink an eye. Not that AT& T won't do the same thing... but at least Comcast will know that they will lose business over this. Also, how is there no possible way to keep the ISP from monitoring your activity- can u say violation of privacy. I think this is going to end up evolving over time kind of like the music industry did with napster.
meavenson

Posted: Jan 20, 2011 7:27 PM   in response to: meavenson in response to: meavenson

Click to report abuse...
Was everyone flagged for the fighter? Thats what mine was for.
meavenson

Posted: Jan 20, 2011 9:19 PM   in response to: meavenson in response to: meavenson

Click to report abuse...
http://www.raynersoftware.com/netshade/

vuze geniuses weigh in.... aside from an underground network of users tunneling in VPN this is the only thing i see that could possibly help mask this issue... sure the isp can still see you.... but if it truly is a 3rd party who is flagging these based on a public ip..... wouldn't this be a way to keep a 3rd party from tracking your public ip?
BuNtEr

Posted: Jan 22, 2011 9:21 PM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
i just got the same warning from my ISP from these people

Respectfully,

D. Brewer
Enforcement Coordinator
Peer Media Technologies, Inc.
copyrightqs- at -mediasentry- dot -com

i was in understaning that vuze hid ur ip while you download im sure i saw that while i installed it somewere.

be good if a mod or admin from Vaze would coment
justanotheruser

Posted: Jan 23, 2011 11:31 AM   in response to: BuNtEr in response to: BuNtEr

Click to report abuse...
It doesn't need a mod or an admin to comment I'm afraid. The simple fact is BitTorrent was not designed to conceal your IP address, the protocol was designed to efficiently share content. If you download copyrighted material from public trackers you run the risk that somebody is watching the swarm and recording IP addresses for use later on. The tracker gives out your IP address because that's its role in managing the swarm. Of the sites that Vuze allows you to search only the Vuze network is actually under the control of the Vuze team and the others they have no say over, nor can they make any claims as to the legality of whatever torrents they host.

Now some people will use a VPN to 'hide' their ISP assigned IP address but you should know that if any of the companies are based in the US then they will likely give up their records if requested via the correct channels.

As for legal advice, to the best of my knowledge we don't have any US lawyers here so any advice regarding the notices or demands should be regarded as unverified.
Mark74

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 1:14 PM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
Recently I was in Samoa went to watch a movie at the Cinema and it cost me $5 (Australian) , if I go to the Cinema here it will cost me close to $20.

So this got me thinking why don't the movie companies catch up with the times and make movies available for download at the time they are released at the movies. For you guessed it $5 per download/stream

That way you have a choice you can watch it over the net, in the cinemas, or wait for DVD release.

I would be happy to pay such a small amount of money for it and on occasion I would still go to the movies or rent a DVD just as I do right now.

So instead of threatening everyone with copyright just catch up to the times.

(ps) you can even put adds in the download version as long as it does not interfere with the movie.
justanotheruser

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 1:51 PM   in response to: Mark74 in response to: Mark74

Click to report abuse...
but you do realise your idea doesn't allow them to gouge us for every penny they can?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sit here and say piracy is all their fault blah blah blah but I also can't muster any sympathy when it comes to media companies or given our current climate banks now too. We seem to have gone well beyond the nicey nice version of capitalism and well into the milking their 'customers' for every penny you can at every given opportunity.

What you discovered first hand is the whole point of regions on DVDs - to make sure they can charge the maximum they can in different places and they seem extremely stubborn when it comes to realising that times and technology have changed.
buck_dodgers

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 1:25 PM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
I just got hit by DCS thru my Suddenlink ISP, threatening to cancel my account for copyright infringement on the movies Green Hornet & Get Him to the Greek. The only thing I did different with these movies that I have never done with others is that I watched them via the VUZE player. Normally I'll convert to mp4 and watch via Quicktime. With VUZE open for sharing, and them finding a torrent at my IP, can they also see me playing the movie??? The complaint filed against me said they had detected my IP as sharing torrents. So are they specifically searching for torrents? I hate to say it ... but I have already removed all seeds from my target folder ... So that's how they are trying to shut torrent sharing down. By intimidating people from seeding? "Justanotheruser" wrote that we should only be using torrents on the VUZE network if we want to keep our IP hidden? But then as soon as the torrent is copied to my computer VUZE seeds it to everyone ... so aren't I vulnerable again? Should my standard practice be to download -- then move completed torrents & files out of my shared folder so that I never seed and can never be found when they search the internet?

Edited by: buck_dodgers on Feb 3, 2011 1:27 PM
justanotheruser

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 1:43 PM   in response to: buck_dodgers in response to: buck_dodgers

Click to report abuse...
Watching the film made no difference.

BitTorrent requires a tracker to act as the hub and there are a lot of trackers out there. There are what we call private trackers, ones where you have to sign up or be invited and then there are public trackers where anybody can connect to the tracker without requiring an account. The Vuze team don't just supply a BitTorrent client now, they also operate their own tracker and you can purchase content via their Vuze network hence content direct from Vuze is legal. Vuze however can make no claims about content you download from public trackers of which a few used to be searchable from Vuze in a default installation.

Public trackers can be spied upon because the tracker will talk to anybody. All somebody has to do is say tell me about all the peers and the tracker will spill its guts. Newer films are often under more scrutiny for the obvious reasons. It's a risk you take by using public trackers full stop.
guyinthesky

Posted: Feb 6, 2011 10:04 PM   in response to: meavenson in response to: meavenson

Click to report abuse...
The whole underground network tunneling through vpn sounds like the perfect fix. I'm trying to learn more about the whole concept of vpn, there is also something called open vpn. I'm not sure what the difference is yet. If you know anything about the topic please share man. If there is a free network out there that could solve this whole privacy and spying problem I think everyone here should promote it.

There is software out there that is suppose to hide or change your IP address to a fake one but I'm a little skeptical about the idea. What ever company you pay to access internet from will know your IP, they issued it! I would imagine that it is 3rd party that would do the actual tracking for copyright infringement, so there may be some validity to the idea. I have only been file sharing for a little while and love it. I am trying to learn everything I can about how to be smart about it.

If we all work together to defeat the system we can keep torrent sharing open and free.
guyinthesky

Posted: Feb 6, 2011 10:12 PM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
I'm not really an expert on the subject, and am still trying to figure the whole thing out, but from what I understand is that there is a way to defeat the system and stop them from nailing you for copyright infringement. It is called a vpn network and it basically works by funneling your traffic though their network as an encrypted file. Your ISP can only tell that data is moving, when they try to see what that data is for copyright crap, all they get is white noise. Sounds like a freaking good idea to me. The only draw back I am finding is that so far what I have found is that all these networks charge a monthly fee for being able to use them. Paying for crap goes against the whole spirit and reason people are on here in the first place. There is something called open vpn too, but I haven't got my head around what the difference is. It might be worth paying a few buck to not get busted, but then again there also maybe something that is free out there and I just don't know about it.

I hope this helped man. If you start checking into the whole vpn thing and find something cool please drop me a line.
shantgh

Posted: Feb 7, 2011 4:38 PM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
http://blog.recipester.org/2010/04/top-free-windows-7-vpn-services/

list of free vpn downloads...I to have been hit with a letter about copyrights and am unclear...I use kickasstorrents.com but my hubby used bittorrent.com and thats where we were flaged at. His downloads were also left seeding and I stopped mine. I am using hotspot vpn and stopping the seeding after download completes with hopes to cease the emails....attached is hotspot shields download i used....good luck all

Edited by: shantgh on Feb 7, 2011 4:40 PM
jenny123

Posted: May 26, 2011 5:55 PM   in response to: redbike2001 in response to: redbike2001

Click to report abuse...
I recieved the same thing. What did you do?
chevyman

Posted: Jun 25, 2011 12:21 PM   in response to: shantgh in response to: shantgh

Click to report abuse...
I was flagged on bittorrent site. I use HMA amd peerblock, check them out!
magnifico1000

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 12:30 PM   in response to: chevyman in response to: chevyman

Click to report abuse...
HMA is great VPN and also my choice. Everyone always raves about Peer Block and I also use it, but essentially it's useless. Don't be fooled by private trackers either. Both are easily and often defeated by DMCA trolls. Your best bet also is always to go out of Eastern European countries that are nightmares for law enforcement. Lastly, and they would slam me for saying it as nobody is suppose to ever talk about it, but Usenet is awesome.
rubik101

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 12:37 AM   in response to: magnifico1000 in response to: magnifico1000

Click to report abuse...
In simple terms, Vuze can't hide your ISP as it needs to know it to know where to send all the stuff you are trying to download. Loading hide my ass or Tor is counterproductive and provides no protection when using Vuze. Your ISP can be disguised but even so, it will be added to the outgoing streams to allow other users to take streams from your computer. You can't be a Vuze user and hide yourself completely, it just isn't possible.

see: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea
HUTA

Posted: Oct 21, 2011 12:27 PM   in response to: buck_dodgers in response to: buck_dodgers

Click to report abuse...
I recently received a copyright infringement notice 10/2011 regarding a movie that i downloaded. And after reading your comments about deleting the files from the
"share" folder after the downloading is complete so that it doesn't "seed", this maybe a very positive step to take so that no one can see your activity? Because, here is my
experience, In Feb.2011 I also received a copyright infringement notice, scared me, and i stopped all torrent downloading for about 4months. I recently resumed download-
ing again "but" after each download was completed I transferred my movies to my external drive / flash-drive and then with patience clean out all of the "Vuze" folders. Well
this eliminated any seeding / sharing, "SORRY" but I had no problems what so ever. It is when I recently decided to "seed" again is when I got caught, so unfortunately
"seeding" appear to have very negative consequences, as well as positive.
bobk

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 9:38 AM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
Run a progam to hide your ISP address. Look in the Bit Torrent Bible attached.
Zerberus

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 12:00 PM   in response to: cherbear in response to: cherbear

Click to report abuse...
Honestly the way I see it if you get caught it's ur own fault, the laws for copyright material were pretty laid back in my Country (Canada) until the United States applied some pressure.

But for real anyone every read up on copyright material, what u can do and can't. face it u buy a cd or dvd it's really not ur's.

I had stopped DL movies for the past 3 years had 3 emails that I would be taken to court and fined 250k for downloading copyright material that I didn't have the rights too.

Scary thing is, they new the time and date, were I was what city - county - what OS i was using and the version of the torrent software i was using.

I stick to simple things tv/shows.

And for hiding ur IP not really sure u can really do that, we have 2 IP address a hard one that is given from ur ISP and a soft one. but the laws are changing and many more will get caught
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums