Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: Can Teredo IPv6 screw things up?

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Dec 7, 2010 8:27 AM Last Post By: peacocj
peacocj

Can Teredo IPv6 screw things up?
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 4:56 AM

Click to report abuse...
I'm a longtime Azureus/Vuze user without any significant problems until recently. I have 10MBit broadband cable and usually achieve good download speeds (up to 1 Mbit/sec). A couple of months ago I experienced a decline in my average download speed plus intermittant loss of connection. This would typically be a climb to a reasonable speed followed by a sudden drop to zero followed by a slow climb back up again. This process would repeat for the duration of the download. I also lost the 'green smiley' and began to fail the Port test. I access the internet via a Linksys Etherfast cable router.

This was puzzling because I had not changed any settings. Initially I thought it may be a recent Vuze update that had screwed things up.

To cut the story short, I tried all the usuall/obvious solutions but without success. On logging onto my router I found port forwarding for Teredo (Tunneling entries?). This puzzled me because I had not put them there. I know very little about Toredo but after some invesigation understand it is is to enable IPv6 protocol? and could be as a result of a Windows 7 update?

Anyway, I decided this was all a bit weird so I did a factory reset on the router and re-entered the vuze port forward details. Guess what everything is fine again. Green smiley is back and downloads are back to where they were.

Does anyone know what is happening here? Could Teredo be responsible? How may have it changed my router settings?

Edited by: peacocj on 07-Dec-2010 07:29
mmore1q3

Re: Can Toredo IPv6 screw things up?
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 5:42 AM   in response to: peacocj in response to: peacocj

Click to report abuse...
Teredo is a special tunnel protocol related to IPv6, but it is not that widely used. Sounds strange that your router should have settings related to that, unless you have configured theme there by yourself.

(I am using 6in4 tunnel myself for IPv6, where my router acts as a tunnel-endpoint towards SixXS, but I have seen no trace of Teredo in the router settings).

You might disable IPv6 support in Vuze in its Advanced Network Settings (in Advanced user mode).
http://wiki.vuze.com/w/UG_Options#Advanced_Network_Settings

In general, IPv6 works in Vuze in Windows only with Java 7 beta, not with Java 6. So, unless you are using Java 7 beta, the IPv6 is useless in Vuze for you in Windows.

But that should have no relevance to IPv4 settings and you losing green smileys. It sounds like your router got confused for some other reason.
justanotheruser

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 6:18 AM   in response to: peacocj in response to: peacocj

Click to report abuse...
I've heard one or two ISPs push changes down to their customers' routers. They might have done it and if not them do you have a another semi-technical literate person in the household?
peacocj

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 7:09 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
I can confirm I did not enter the Teredo router settings - it must have been done by a program installation. The problem is I do not know when/how this happened.
Thanks for your comments.

Edit: I did find this thread: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Teredo_tunneling_Crossloop_t103631.html

Which refers to Crossloop S/W installation making Teredo entries in router tables.

Edited by: peacocj on 07-Dec-2010 07:23
mmore1q3

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 7:37 AM   in response to: peacocj in response to: peacocj
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
Your router is probably password protected. Hopefully. It should be...
So, no program should be able to change router settings without your knowledge.

(Unless there is UPnP enabled in the router, and even then the settings would be temporary.
In my router, UPnP is disabled.)

Edited by: mmore1q3 on 07-Dec-2010 17:38
Ps. if you read that discussion thread through, he first suspects Crossloop, and then finally determines that it was not the reason.
peacocj

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 8:27 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
OK. I think this has answered the question. Although UPnP is now disabled I have ascertained that it was enabled for a period. The Teredo entries must have occurred then.
Thanks for your reply.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)