Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: is it illegal?

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Nov 29, 2010 5:37 AM Last Post By: justanotheruser
tomislav7

is it illegal?
Posted: Nov 26, 2010 7:39 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hello everybody,

Well, let's say I've been unlucky enough for being sued downloading a specific album with vuze, and although I was aware, that downloading this via Vuze is illegal, I'm being sued for providing it. Not for the download, fair enough. The law firm has sent me a letter with a 950€ bill, for the providing of this album.
My question is now of course:
Am I already providing items, when I only download them?
Am I therefore never actually allowed to download anything with vuze, cause I'm providing it automatically and making myself actionable?

best regards
justanotheruser

Re: is it illegal?
Posted: Nov 26, 2010 7:42 AM   in response to: tomislav7 in response to: tomislav7

Click to report abuse...
BitTorrent works using a tit-for-tat system. Other BT clients will only share with you if you share with them - it's why BitTorrent is so effective at distributing content. Once you've finished downloading a torrent it automatically switches to just seeding (uploading) so that others who are after the same content can get hold of it too. If nobody seeded then nobody could download.

If you don't want to upload then I'd suggest looking at other systems such as newsgroups etc.
tomislav7

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 7:50 AM   in response to: tomislav7 in response to: tomislav7

Click to report abuse...
Hi,
well the point is not in not wanting to share. It is, weather I'm allowed
tomislav7

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 2:05 PM   in response to: tomislav7 in response to: tomislav7

Click to report abuse...
no responses?
I already found out the truth: it's illegal to use vuze in specific countries and you can actually be sued for that, the height depending on the amount you downloaded (in my case 850€ for one music album).
I'm sorry, I love Vuze, but don't you think we should be informed about that?
justanotheruser

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 10:03 AM   in response to: tomislav7 in response to: tomislav7

Click to report abuse...
It's not illegal to use Vuze. You're confusing the tool to do the job and what you use the tool for.

It isn't the fault of the Vuze team if you download copyrighted material - you have to accept responsibility for that.
tomislav7

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 3:44 PM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
I'm accepting responsibility for that, of course. I do. I already did, by the way.
But simply the fact, that I'm able to download copyrighted material, without being informed about its illegality is kinda something to blame the vuze team for.
I don't want anything, whatsoever. I'm not about to sue the company of vuze. It would be just like one of those guys, who sued McDnalds for their obesity.
I just think people should know... that's all
justanotheruser

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 5:37 AM   in response to: tomislav7 in response to: tomislav7

Click to report abuse...
Identifying, in an automated fashion, what is copyrighted material and what isn't is a damn hard task. That's why the experienced P2Per tends to laugh when media companies demand they stop piracy via a particular piece of software. Some, like Napster if I recall correctly, openly profiteered from copyrighted material which is why it was different in their case and why they were shut down.

It's far easier for people to discern what is allowed and what isn't. The album you downloaded for example, my assumptions are it's a relatively new album from a well known artist or band. Now you downloaded it, undoubtedly for free and so I ask you, why did you think what you were doing was okay? All Vuze knows is you are downloading a bunch of files and I think it would recognise that they are audio files (there are some parts of Vuze I don't use). You are in a far better position to make judgements as to if the material is copyrighted or not.

The fact is none of the tools differ in this respect. All the main BitTorrent clients take a torrent file and proceed to download. You have to make the decision on what to download and what not to.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums