Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Open Development

Thread: [4.4 BUG?] "Delete from Computer" & "Remove from Library" do same thing

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Sep 28, 2010 12:48 AM Last Post By: werepacman
djdemarais

[4.4 BUG?] "Delete from Computer" & "Remove from Library" do same thing
Posted: May 15, 2010 7:39 AM
Click to report abuse...
New problem in Vuze version 4.4:

When deleting torrents from the queue you are given the following 3 options: "Delete from Computer", "Remove from Library" and "Cancel".
"Delete from Computer" & "Remove from Library" do exactly the same thing. Choosing either of these two options in 4.4.0.4 deletes the .torrent file from the queue AND the computer, (regardless of where the .torrent file is located on the computer).

What SHOULD happen, and what used to happen before Vuze 4.4 is this:
"Delete from Computer" should delete the .torrent file from the queue AND the computer (or move it to trash, if "Use Trash" preference is selected).
"Remove from Library" should only remove the .torrent file from queue, NOT from the computer.

As it is, these two delete choices do exactly the same thing. Try it for yourself. Drop a .torrent file into the queue, select it and hit the delete button. Choose "Delete from Computer" in the dialog box that comes up. Notice the .torrent file is removed from the queue and deleted from the computer, (as it should be).
Now put another .torrent file in your queue, then delete it and choose "Remove from Library" in the provided dialog box. I think you'll find that once again the .torrent file has been removed from the queue AND deleted from the computer, (which in this case is incorrect).

A FEW NOTES:
  • I am refering to the Vuze Mac version 4.4.0.4. I am using Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard).
  • Also, it makes no difference whether the following preference is selected or not: "When deleting data, allow files linked outside torrent save directory to be removed also". My .torrent files are deleted from my computer in every case.
  • My current workaround for this problem is to select the preference "Use Trash when deleting files". Then I have to drag my .torrent files back out of the trash each time I remove them from the queue. There are other ways to work around this bug, but it should be fixed in any case.

Any pertinent responses would be appreciated. Thanks.
mmore1q3

Re: [4.4 BUG?] "Delete from Computer" & "Remove from Library" do same thing
Posted: May 15, 2010 8:52 AM   in response to: djdemarais in response to: djdemarais
Click to report abuse...
Well, that might be OS dependent, so it is good that in this thread your told that you are using Mac.

In Windows I see the context-menu options: Remove and... "Delete torrent file", Delete data" and "Delete both". So I see a bit different options than you. I get confirmation dialogs with question and Yes/No buttons.

For me in Windows (az2 interface), there is also a bug behaviour reagrding the middle option, but it seems to be a bit different than yours. And the buggy behaviour seems also to change with the Files option "Confirm when deleting data"...

With option "Confirm when deleting data" ENABLED:
  • Delete torrent file: works normally. Asks for confirmation about deleting torrent.
  • Delete data: has bug regarding confirmations. Asks for both confirmations (torrent and data) and then correctly deletes only the data. So, it unnecessarily asks for torrent confirmation.
  • Delete both: also works normally. Asks for both confirmations (torrent and data) and deletes both.

With option "Confirm when deleting data" DISABLED:
  • Delete torrent file: works normally. Asks for confirmation (torrent) and then deletes torrent.
  • Delete data: has bug. Asks wrongly for confirmation (torrent) and then wrongly deletes both torrent and data. EDIT: Well, the deleting part seems to variate. Right now it seems to delete correctly only data. But I am quite sure that it did delete the torrent a few minutes ago.
  • Delete both: also works normally. Ask for confirmation (torrent) and deletes both.

(The option "confirm..." seems to only affect the data, as confirmation regarding torrent gets always asked)

Java 1.6.0_20
Sun Microsystems Inc.
SWT v3557, win32
Windows 7 v6.1, x86
V4.4.0.5_B05/4 az2

Edited by: mmore1q3 on 15-May-2010 18:59
I created official bug report about this:
https://jira.vuze.com/browse/SUP-69

Edited by: mmore1q3 on 15-May-2010 19:10
djdemarais

Posted: May 15, 2010 4:14 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3
Click to report abuse...
mmore1q3,
Thanks for your informative reply, and also for filing an official bug report: https://jira.vuze.com/browse/SUP-69
Hopefully these issues will be addressed in the next release.
werepacman

Posted: Sep 27, 2010 5:27 PM   in response to: djdemarais in response to: djdemarais
Click to report abuse...
So, I'm still seeing a bug even in 4.5.0.4 (Windows).

I use Vuze Classic, and it's common practice for me to regularly remove torrents from my library (while still keeping the actual data files) after I have shared the torrent files to a sufficient ratio. In version 4.4, I could press the Delete key and the torrent would disappear from my library, but both the content files and the original torrent file (in my saved ".torrent" files directory) would stay on the computer.

The new behavior of 4.5 adds the confirmation dialog to let the user decide to remove just the torrent from the library or delete the content files completely. In the configuration options, it's possible to turn off this confirmation dialog, but with that option unchecked, the content files get deleted too! This is totally counter-intuitive, especially since older versions of Vuze have the behavior of just removing the torrent from the library and not touching the actual content files.

Please fix this behavior by adding an additional checkbox that specifies whether or not the user wants to delete the content files when the Delete key is pressed and the confirmation dialog is off!

Edited by: mmore1q3 on 28-Sep-2010 10:48
Locked as duplicate of http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?threadID=93420
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)