Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: 13 hours and only 30%

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Dec 8, 2008 11:53 PM Last Post By: mmore1q3
dok1313

13 hours and only 30%
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 8:14 PM
Click to report abuse...
I am having serious issues with my DL speed. I have set up a static IP and am using port forwarding and all my smiley faces are green, but still only getting a max of 24k. I thought it was because I as DL multiple files at once, but the the more files I close the slower it gets.
dok1313

Re: 13 hours and only 30%
Posted: Dec 5, 2008 8:49 PM   in response to: dok1313 in response to: dok1313
Click to report abuse...
Ran speed test and got 359.8k DL 20k UL
justanotheruser

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 2:32 AM   in response to: dok1313 in response to: dok1313
Click to report abuse...
Firstly, did you run that speed test with no other applications running? You also don't specify if that is Kbps or KB/s, which are different by a factor of 8.

Right click on the torrent and select Show Details. See if your speeds are that different from the swarm average. If they're not it's just that the torrent is slow. There's nothing you can do about this.

Next. How many seeds and peers on the torrents? With a maximum of 20KB/s (for arguments sake) if connected to only a few-to-no seeders then you are relying on tit-for-tat with the other peers. I'd bet many are capable of uploading at a faster rate meaning you'll be marginalised somewhat.

You also don't say who your ISP is. See if they are on the bad isp list and follow the advice for traffic shaping regardless.
dok1313

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 6:53 PM   in response to: dok1313 in response to: dok1313
Click to report abuse...
ISP is Comcast. Seeds are 15, peers are 34. Download is kb/s. No other aps running.

Edited by: dok1313 on Dec 8, 2008 6:54 PM
mmore1q3

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 11:51 PM   in response to: dok1313 in response to: dok1313
Click to report abuse...
dok1313 wrote:
my smiley faces are green, but still only getting a max of 24k

Ran speed test and got 359.8k DL 20k UL
ISP is Comcast. Seeds are 15, peers are 34. Download is kb/s. No other aps running.

If you wrote that correctly and as kb/s = kbit/s, then Speedtest showed max. speed of 360 kbit/s, which in practice would mean approx. 36-40 kB/s (as Vuze measures speed in kiloBytes). Having 24 kB/s download speed in Vuze is already 2/3 of your practical maximum speed.

What makes me wonder is your upload speed. If that was really only 20 kbit/s, then it will hurt you, as that would only be 2 kB/s. Sounds very low...

Due to tit-for-tat, other peers will send you approximately same amount as you upload to them. So, indenpendently of your download speed, having upload speed of only 20 kb/s, or even 20 kB/s, will restrict your download speed.

http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?threadID=78768&tstart=0

B) Green smilies, slow traffic

If you get green smilies as torrents' "Health", then you know that your basic network settings are ok. However, that doesn't guarantee speedy transfers.

It is good to understand that
* there is no central server from which you download. Everything that users download, is at the same time uploaded by users
* you contact other users for your downloads
* respectively, others should be able to contact you (NAT & port fowarding to be configured)

It is quite possible with a "new" torrent or an one with "small" swarm (only a few peers), that the missing pieces are not available. So, it is quite possible that torrent remains active with "downloading" status, but is not actively downloading anything as there is nobody to download from.

The low speed or inactivity may also be due to low amount of seeds/peers in the torrent, or their slow upload capability. As there is no central server, your download speed is directly dependent on uploads from others. The torrent's downloaders' total download speed matches the total upload speed.

Some key fields for torrent status:
  • Done: your own download completetion percentage
  • Availability: tells you how many full copies you see right now. If Availability is below 1.0, you don't see a full copy now and can't complete the download now. In new swarms, there is only the original uploader and others start empty. Thus the Availability may be over 1.0, but in reality most peers have only a few percents completed. This may lead to slow downloads. For example, if you are connected to 1 seed and 88 peers, your Done is 30% and Availability is 1.32 (132%), then in practise only the original seeder has full 100% copy, and the others (you included) have 32% of data. As you already had 30%, the other peers only have 2 more percents for you to download.
  • Swarm average speed: tells you how quickly others are downloading on average. Individual speeds depend on bandwidth (and luck), but the average is roughly what you should expect to reach yourself.
  • ETA: Estimated Time of Arrival. Fluctuates, but tells you a rather realistic forecast of remaining download time.

In general, your download speed corresponds a lot to you upload speed. So, having a more upload speed in your ADSL/cable connection will also speed your downloads.

The downloaded files can be really big. So the download can easily take hours or days with the biggest files.

So it might be that there is not much to do in this case.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums