Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Vuze 4.0.0.4 stops downloading

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Feb 16, 2009 3:44 AM Last Post By: divined
raymie67

Vuze 4.0.0.4 stops downloading
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 8:17 AM

Click to report abuse...
Anyone any ideas on the following.

Since upgrading to v4 (from the last v3 version) sometime overnight all my torrents stop downloading and will not start again unless I restart the client itself.

After a restart the client behaves perfectly correctly until the next morning.

I was running safepeer but have disabled that now but perhaps this could be linked to the file I use for IP filters being updated each day (although I think that the problem happends well after that was scheduled)?, I use blockmanager to recreate that file on a daily basis.

Apart from that the only common thread to the issue over the last few days is that in the evening all my current torrents completed and stopped and overnight RSSFEED added in new ones from a variety of sources, but with then not seeming to have downloading anything it would appear that RSSFEED is operating fine and that the vuze client is failing to start them properly.
raymie67

Re: Vuze 4.0.0.4 stops downloading
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 12:46 AM   in response to: raymie67 in response to: raymie67

Click to report abuse...
Sill getting this problem but I suspect now is linked to this message in the debug log

1012 00:03:03 stderr java.net.SocketException: No buffer space available (maximum connections reached?): connect

I have changed some settings to hopefully avoid the issue

options > connection > advanced network settings > Max simul outbound connection attempts set to 20 (was 40)

options > transfer > Max connections per torrent set to 100 was 150
options > transfer > Max connections globally set to 250 was 0 (unlimited)

mmore1q3

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 1:22 AM   in response to: raymie67 in response to: raymie67

Click to report abuse...
Quite possible that you have had too many connections and that has hurt either java TCP/IP stack and/or router's NAT table, especially if you have wireless connection, which may break and cause new connections to be created in rapid speed. Each peer also causes idle protocol chatter with them, so having enough peers to fill your download and especially upload bandwidth is important, but additional peers do not really help you after your net is utilised to max.

raymie67 wrote:
options > connection > advanced network settings > Max simul outbound connection attempts set to 20 (was 40)
options > transfer > Max connections per torrent set to 100 was 150
options > transfer > Max connections globally set to 250 was 0 (unlimited)

Sounds good. There is really no need for more global connections, unless you are lucky enough to have 10/10 Mbit or higher speed. This is the most needed setting here. Unlimited sounds bad to me.

Same also for simultaneous outbound connections attempts. Having more caution there may slow down the initial kick-off, but has no siginificant negative effect later.

I live happily with 10/1 Mbit cable, 300 max. connections globally, and max. 5 active torrents (only over 4 kB/s speeds calculated as active).
The_One_True_God

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 8:06 AM   in response to: raymie67 in response to: raymie67

Click to report abuse...
I was having the same problem. If you were using a laptop, or even a desktop for that matter, and it has a 'put the computer to sleep' after x-minutes, that might be what's doing it. Go to control panel and go to screensaver change. There should be some sort of power managment screen there. If not look elswhere for the power settings. Then change the screensaver to none and set the three or four different sleep settings to 'never'. I think you think everything is downloading fine, then when you go to sleep the computer goes into sleep mode. If you have a laptop then you also have to change the 'don't ever go to sleep' setting when you close the lid, even part way. Hope this helps. And is right.
dajomas

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 12:00 PM   in response to: The_One_True_God in response to: The_One_True_God

Click to report abuse...
Actually, I am having the same problem but all my screensaver/powersaver options are off and my Linux machine is running non-stop. It takes much less time for all the downloads to stop downloading. Uploading continues though. I am now moving back to Vuze version 3.1.1.0 since I also have a problem shutting down Azureus (but that's in another thread see here )

Edited by: dajomas on Jan 13, 2009 12:07 PM
raymie67

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 11:31 AM   in response to: dajomas in response to: dajomas

Click to report abuse...
Still have this issue and from today it has started on another machine as well (in a different town and ISP)

When the problem happens I find that the app will not close down properly and needs to be killed, without that it just sits using a little cpu and memory.

Killing the app and restarting caused it to work for a while again, normally at least half a day.

My best guess now is a memory leak issue with one of the plugins possibly speed scheduler
justanotheruser

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 10:22 AM   in response to: raymie67 in response to: raymie67

Click to report abuse...
Try supplying the details asked for in Open Support >> Read Before Posting!. Do this for both machines please.
raymie67

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:35 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
I cannot be 100% sure but I have found a workaround.

The issue goes away if I leave a torrent seeding but stopped and so not remove it from the application.

It seems that this issue is far from unknown and is referred to as well on the speedscheduler web page although there are updates on there to indicate that people have had it happen with or without speedscheduler being installed.

Looks like a bug in Vuse (under old UI mode) in 4.0.0.4 and seems to be around a torrent moving from downloading to seeding or stopped. In may also only happen when there are no other torrents already in the seeding/stopped status.

And for the record this happens on a system with no changes other than an update from the last v3 version to v4. XP Pro SP2 and SP3, two machines with different firewalls and virus scanners, Java 1.5 and 1.6 both tried.
Fishbowler

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 4:08 AM   in response to: raymie67 in response to: raymie67

Click to report abuse...
XP Pro SP2 and SP3, two machines with different firewalls and virus scanners, Java 1.5 and 1.6 both tried.
Can you provide anything more? The list of things in the Read Before Posting is fairly comprehensive.
cca

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 10:33 PM   in response to: raymie67 in response to: raymie67

Click to report abuse...
I have the same problem with every new version beginning from 4.0.0.4 up until the latest 4.1.0.2 .The last stable version for me is 4.0.0.2. I'm running Vuze under Gentoo Linux in command line mode, so GUI is irrelevant to me. I'm using webui 0.7.6 and AszMRC for remote administration. The specific problem is a showstopper for anyone who run Vuze mostly unattended in a seedbox and it doesn't happen always, but it is certain to happen within a few hours from the application startup, making Vuze useless and I have to use "kill -9" to kill the process, normal kill doesn't work.
Washii

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 10:37 PM   in response to: cca in response to: cca

Click to report abuse...
Can you please gather some more information about the box in general? (Kernel and Java version/maker would be excellent!)

We may request you gather up the log files and post those, as well.
cca

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 11:41 PM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii

Click to report abuse...
Ok, kernel version is 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 which is the latest stable version in Gentoo, the sun jdk is version 1.6.0.11.
I took a look at the logs myself, I could not find anything significant, I don't know if it is possible to activate any extra debugging output.
divined

Posted: Feb 16, 2009 3:44 AM   in response to: cca in response to: cca

Click to report abuse...
I can confirm the problem cca is reporting, using more or less the same gentoo linux setup. This is indeed odd and rather irritating, since the vuze runs unattended for long time spans and I have no way of knowing when it will stop downloading!!!
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums