Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: Azureus download and upload at zero and other problems.

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: May 12, 2011 11:55 PM Last Post By: mmore1q3
Calvi

Azureus download and upload at zero and other problems.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 5:31 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hello,

I am using Azureus 3.03.4 Vuze and Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 3. I do not have Alcohol 120 % application installed. I have a 4 megas bandwith Internet connection. I have configured maximum downolad speed to 480 KBs and upload speed to 30 KBs as in the last bandwith test I did my download bandwith was 4235 kbs and 275 kbs. The rest of the settings are the standard beginner level settings. NAT light is green and by it reads NAT OK. share light is yellow and by
it reads share ratio 0.9. when I start runing the aplication all smilleys of torrents with more than 0 seeds connected become green.After that download and upload speeds start to rise up, but they do it in a very erratic way with ups and downs, for instance: download speed changes every fraction of a secon from 5 kbs to 15 then drops to 8 then rise up to 25 and drops down to 20 and rise up to 40 and so on, and on and on, until in about 5 minutes I have a download speed of 170 or 190 or 210 kbs. The same thing happens with upload speed. it reaches maximum speed allowd by me when I did configured transference settings: 30 kbs.

The problem is that those very good speeds only last for 5 to 10 minutes. After that time download speed drops down to 2 to 12 or so kbs and upload speed may be 0 to 3 kbs.

When Azureus download and upload speeds drop down to a few kbs 5 to 10 minutos after being started to run, the colum "Download Speed" of the upper side of "My Torrents" window in menu "View" -the one showing all download data- is full from top to bottom with yellow zeroes, no mater that the smileys of many torrents are green and another column of the upper side of the window shows: "Downloading" for those torrents.

another problem is that Azureus has frozen whenever I have let it running for a few hours to check if things changed.

every time I start the application again a prompt with the message "Azureus did not shut tidyliy" appears

after freezing for last time a prompt with the message "Error: the JVM could not be started. The main method may have throwon an exception" appeared.

And last of all: those problems started using an older version of Azureus and did not desappear when I did install the latest version.

I have reinstalled the application but nothing has changed.

I am proceeding to the first steps of a clean install and when I have tried to follow this Azureus Wiki page "Clean Install" instruction: "You must also backup the metafiles (.torrent) for your currently active torrents. These will be either in the directory you specified in the Files -> Torrents config or in the torrents folder under either program directory (see above).-" I have found that in the Torrents folder there is just another folder called "Incoming" -that is empty- to be found. I did not remember having specified no directory to store the metafiles at no "Files -> Torrents config" and I am not able to find the folders Files -> torrents. On the other hand, I do not know what those "metafiles" are. I guest they must have the extension .torrent but I do not know what they look like and I suppose they are not the ones with the blue frog drawing I downloaded and saved from download sites -search engines-.in different folders of my hard disk and double clicked to start them.

I do not understand the meaning of the sentence "Open your .torrent files and point them to the location of your torrent data" in the "Azureus Clean Install" webpage of Azureus Wiki website. I do not have the lesser idea of what making a file "pointing" to the location of another file -I understand that "your torrent data" means in this sentence it must be "your downloads.config files -Those containing seeding and downloading torrent data, share ratios, status and priorities-" according to what the Azureus Clean Install webpage text tells before. I am not critizising Azureus Wiki. It is just that I am not an English native tongue speaker and the text uses Computering terminology in English that I do not know.

Please excuse my ignorance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.

notechis8888

Fishbowler

Re: Azureus download and upload at zero and other problems.
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 6:23 AM   in response to: Calvi in response to: Calvi

Click to report abuse...
Let me start by saying that you've stated your problem very well and included a lot of useful information!

Calvi wrote:
I do not know what those "metafiles" are. I guest they must have the extension .torrent but I do not know what they look like and I suppose they are not the ones with the blue frog drawing I downloaded and saved from download sites -search engines-.in different folders of my hard disk and double clicked to start them.

Azureus, by default, is configured to take a copy of these files when double clicked (or to create them if using magnet links). By default (again) these are saved in (when using XP) to C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUsername>\Application Data\Azureus\torrents. If you do not have a folder containing any of these files, then you will need to re-download them from wherever you found them originally. Be sure that they are indeed the same torrents - something "similar" won't be enough.

Calvi wrote:
I do not understand the meaning of the sentence "Open your .torrent files and point them to the location of your torrent data" in the "Azureus Clean Install" webpage of Azureus Wiki website.

This simply refers to the process of double-clicking your torrent files and selecting a location to save. You can, in this instance, point Azureus at the pre-existing location of your downloads (before you re-installed) and it will re-check your file(s) for downloaded pieces and pick up where you left off. Snazzy, eh?
notechis8888
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 11:59 AM   in response to: Calvi in response to: Calvi
Click to report abuse...
Hello and a million thanks Fishbowler,

Now everything is pristine. I am proceeding as stated by you.

Words are not enough to express my gratitude.

Best Regards.

notechis8888
Calvi
Posted: Dec 11, 2007 1:52 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler
Click to report abuse...
Thank you very much Fishbowler,

isnĀ“t any other way to add its apropiated metafiles to torrents folder than to search for them in The Net and double click them again? I guess, as download starts properly for about 5 to 8 minutes, that those metafiles must be somewhere in my computer. Suppose I did configure Azureus wrong. Maybe there is a way to track them and to add them to the torrents folder.

Looking forward to receive your reply soon.

Best Regards.

Calvi
Calvi
Posted: Dec 11, 2007 2:21 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler
Click to report abuse...
Hello again Fishbowler,

I have started Azureus again and it has given me the chance to update it to newest 3.0.4.0 version.
With this new version the program does not freeze nor the download and upload speeds drop down to zero 5 to 8 minutes after start. Speeds increase very, very fast up to 400 kbs download and 30 kbs upload but, for all along the time the aplication is running the speeds change erratically and download speed for instance changes continuosly from 400 kbs to 20 kbs to 50 kbs to 380 kbs and so on to stabilize around 50 kbs and then it remains at that speed for hours unless I minimize and later on maximize the window or I touch some menu or button. I would like my speed to be as high as possible and I think it might be that I can do it if I make something with torrents folder and metafiles. Keep on wondering if there is another way but to download from torrents sites and double click the torrents to add the metafiles to torrents folder.

Best Regards.

Calvi
Fishbowler

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 3:43 AM   in response to: Calvi in response to: Calvi

Click to report abuse...
Check that folder - see if they're already there.
You may need to unhide the Application Data folder first.
Thorn

Posted: May 12, 2011 11:47 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
hi , can you please tell me how to unhide the application data... im kind of a newbie to all of this
mmore1q3

Posted: May 12, 2011 11:55 PM   in response to: Thorn in response to: Thorn

Click to report abuse...
Go to Windows Explorer options and set it to show the hidden files & folders. "Application Data" is in your user profile directory in Windows XP, but is hidden by default. In Vista/W7 it is called AppData inside your user home directory.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums