Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Am I Seeding?

This question is answered.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 4, 2013 1:00 PM Last Post By: mr6n8
delasoul

Am I Seeding?
Posted: Apr 4, 2013 9:27 AM

Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Totally clueless. Downloaded file and it appears 2 separate times in my Library (somehow I clicked over to "sharing" it which I thought would help with seeding).

Anyway, status bar shows "Seeding" status with "Seeds" at 0 of 15 with a "Share Ratio" is 0.000.

The other file is "Queued" and shows "Seeds" filter at 1 but the "Share Ratio" is still 0.000.

Just want to make sure I am doing my part.
mr6n8

Re: Am I Seeding?
Posted: Apr 4, 2013 9:32 AM   in response to: delasoul in response to: delasoul

Yes it looks like you are seeding. Seeding does not necessarily mean you are uploading, it just means you are available to upload.
That torrent has 15 seeds and shows 1 peer and that would be why no upload (the peer may not even be a real peer)

If this is from a private torrent site, check there. It should show you as seeding on this.
delasoul

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 9:43 AM   in response to: delasoul in response to: delasoul

I see.

I checked under "General." It is not marked as a Private Torrent. I got it from TPB.

It looks like there are 4 different trackers though. I know trackers log if someone contributes at least as much as take, but does seeding via Vuze register with the trackers? It seems confusing to me. What if each tracker was from sharing the torrent on different sources (i.e. not TPB)?

Does having an adequate share ratio mean I must seed the file longer/more since there are 4 trackers?

Confused.
mr6n8

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 11:17 AM   in response to: delasoul in response to: delasoul

Yeah TPB is a public site.

Public trackers do not keep track of ratio. Only private trackers keep track.

It does not matter how many trackers there are. The ratio you see for the individual torrent is what matters and you are the only one who sees it.

Keeping a good ratio on public torrent sites is just a personal choice.
You got the content because someone else stayed to seed, so just putting back in.

On a torrent like that, personally I would keep it open for a few days and if no action I would have no issue deleting it.
Keeping it active for longer will not have any negative effect on download (nor will it have any positive effect on other downloads)
delasoul

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 12:14 PM   in response to: delasoul in response to: delasoul

I see about trackers not mattering if the torrent is from a public site.

I think I get it now. Having a a file on "Seed" only marks it so that if a peer wants to download it, they may download it from me --- just as I downloaded it from another user.

If there are 0 peers for a few days, while a file is set to "Seeding"-enabled, it means there has not been anyone who downloaded the file from me --- even though I have allowed the possibility.

Yeah...These are scarcely wanted files, so I guess that is why 1 torrent of them still has a share ratio of 0.000 despite me making it available to others.

ONE LAST Q: Does the Vuze application have to running in order for the files to be seed-able?
mr6n8

Posted: Apr 4, 2013 1:00 PM   in response to: delasoul in response to: delasoul
Correct
You are correct on all your statements and yes Vuze needs to be running for files to be seedable - computer must also be active (not in sleep mode).
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums