Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Open Development

Thread: OS X 4.7.0.3 betas - per torrent upload max not limiting

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Mar 18, 2012 3:49 PM Last Post By: parg
kdean

OS X 4.7.0.3 betas - per torrent upload max not limiting
Posted: Jan 4, 2012 10:27 PM

Click to report abuse...
Attachment shot.png (10.2 KB)
B01 seems to be fine, but when I tried B03 and B06 I've noticed that torrents set to a max upload of 40K/sec are seeing uploads as much as 180K/sec whereas before I'm pretty sure it stayed much tighter around 40.

Seems the bandwidth limiter is broken in some way.

Note in my screenshot the Up Speed column and the Max Up Speed column.

Occassionaly it seems to drop back around 40, but it doesn't seem to stick there like previous versions.

Edited by: kdean on Jan 5, 2012 1:28 AM
kdean

Re: OS X 4.7.0.3 betas - per torrent upload max not limiting
Posted: Jan 4, 2012 10:35 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Hmmm, B01 may have some issues as well. It seems to stay closer to 40 more often but still shows speeds in excess of 80-110K over short periods.... oh and now it just went up to 190 plus which is about my global up limit.

I just don't remember it allowing so much variation before.
kdean

Posted: Feb 17, 2012 10:20 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Still haven't seen any change in this issue.

I've attached a shot of another torrent that's limited to 40K/sec upload yet it's cranking away at near 200K/sec which is my global limit.
kdean

Posted: Feb 17, 2012 10:44 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
I'm thinking the "Increase download speeds by biasing upload capacity to incomplete downloads" may be the culprit, causing it to ignore the per torrent upload speed limitation.
kdean

Posted: Feb 19, 2012 4:36 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Well, with that unchecked I'm still periodically getting max upload speed on limited torremts. So there goes that theory.

Any thoughts devs?
kdean

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 1:39 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Hello? Anyone? Developers? Come on.
parg

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 8:30 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Hi!

Nothing's changed in that area very recently - do you have an actual global upload limit set or is 200K/sec around your line limit?

Another possibility is that something's broken with speed limits and uTP connections, perhaps you could see if disabling uTP removes the issue?

In the meantime I'll see if I can reproduce it
parg

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 8:50 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Another thing to try - when it is misbehaving go to tools->Speed Limits and select the 'View Current' option, see what it displays
parg

Posted: Feb 27, 2012 9:39 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Unlikely to be the case, but if for some reason a peer was being considered 'LAN local' then, assuming you have separate LAN limits (which is the default), this would cause the torrent's up limit to be ignored.
kdean

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 10:02 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg

Click to report abuse...
Yes, I have a global limit set to 200K. The problem may have started earlied than the current betas. I just noticed it recently.

Weird thing is it doesn't always happen... which may point to uTP like you said. The next time I notice it I'll try disabling it. I don't have the LAN Peer Finder plugin loaded.

I don't have a "tools->Speed Limits". Is that dependent on anything like a plugin or something being activated first?
parg

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 10:15 AM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
ah, whoops, missed the speed-limits entry on the OSX menu - I'll fix and create a new snapshot, should be under the View menu.
kdean

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 12:21 PM   in response to: parg in response to: parg

Click to report abuse...
OK, I can see the Speed Limits now.

Not currently running a torrent with the problem, but my usual settings show as:

Global Limits
Up=200.0 kB/s
Down=1.75 MB/s

Download Limits
None

Category Limits
None

Scheduler
Rules defined: 0
Active rule: None
kdean

Posted: Mar 2, 2012 12:54 PM   in response to: parg in response to: parg

Click to report abuse...
FYI, disabling UTP doesn't seem to have an effect. It still sometimes exceeds the upload cap for more than just a short temporary burst.
kdean

Posted: Mar 2, 2012 1:42 PM   in response to: parg in response to: parg

Click to report abuse...
Here's something else I noticed when monitoring the torrent. While most of the peers are below the limit, occassionally I see some that are exceeding the max upload completely on their own without adding in any other peer's bandwidth and every time they've been only connected for 0 to 2 minutes compared to the other peers that have been around longer. Could the problem lie where Vuze focuses bandwidth on new connections to the swarm? Maybe new connections aren't being capped until they've been around for a bit longer and there's always the clients that like to disconnect and reconnect to you to monopolize the effect.

Just a thought.
parg

Posted: Mar 2, 2012 2:59 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Tried reproducing with no luck :(

Can I just check that you haven't set a value other than 0 for the torrent option 'KB/sec max upload speed when global limit reached' ? Just ruling out some code-paths that can adjust limits (doesn't really make sense as if the limit was adjusted this should be visible in the UI, and it wasn't in the screenshots you sent). Just in case...

I don't know of any logic we have to exceed upload limits for newly connected peers, unless the peer is somehow not being added to the torrent's byte-bucket for some reason.
parg

Posted: Mar 2, 2012 5:33 PM   in response to: parg in response to: parg

Click to report abuse...
Actually I think I know what it is - it is the 'fast-start' extension I implemented a while back. This gives peers new to the swarm prioritised downloading for a few specific pieces so that they can start contributing more quickly.

Choked peers normally sit in an un-rate-limited (per torrent that is) pool so they can send their maintenance BT messages in a timely manner (keep alives, unchokes etc). When a peer is unchoked it is moved from the global pool into a (possibly) rate-limited per-torrent pool

'fast start' allows a peer to request a given piece even when choked. This causes Vuze to upload to the peer from a choked state, thus bypassing the per-torrent limit.

Note that this can't be gamed because a given peer only is permitted to request pieces like this from a small and fixed set.

{You may be able to verify this - when a peer is being uploaded do in this fashion the '*' in the choked column turns into a '+'.} scrub that sentence, we only show a '+' when we over-ride another peer that is choking us...

Edited by: parg on Mar 2, 2012 5:36 PM

Edited by: parg on Mar 2, 2012 5:37 PM
kdean

Posted: Mar 18, 2012 11:07 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg

Click to report abuse...
Don't know if you've tried any adjustments in recent betas, but I'm still seeing uploads ignoring the limit.
parg

Posted: Mar 18, 2012 3:49 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
I've disabled fast-start for downloads with an upload speed limit - its non-trivial to fix this any other way, and per-torrent upload limits are rare in practice, so this seems like a reasonable compromise. please check the next beta

Edited by: parg on Mar 18, 2012 3:49 PM
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)