Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Open Development

Thread: azureus --closedown misbehaves

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Feb 28, 2012 6:39 AM Last Post By: soger
soger

azureus --closedown misbehaves
Posted: Dec 7, 2011 10:37 AM

Click to report abuse...
I have problems with azureus shutdown in gnome, because I found no way to make gnome wait for azureus to finish shutdown. If anyone knows how to, please respond.
Anyway, the bug I wuld like to report is the following:
When I shut down azureus it saves some of the tabs I have open. What I want is the "My torrents" and the "Statistics" tab to be always open.
My solution to the problem I mentioned above is a small script that first shuts down azureus; waits for the java process to disappear then shuts down gnome.
I shut down azureus using:
azureus --closedown
but this does not always keep the "Statistics" tab open and when it is not open, the activity is not recorded.
metaleeck

Re: azureus --closedown misbehaves
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 5:06 AM   in response to: soger in response to: soger

Click to report abuse...
which distro you have? update the distro and vuze. perhaps it'll help. i'm running on linux mint 12, haven't used vuze on it, will try.
soger

Posted: Dec 14, 2011 5:23 AM   in response to: soger in response to: soger

Click to report abuse...
I'm using ubuntu, currently Natty but I plan to upgrade next week.
Actually I'm not using azureus shipped by ubuntu, because (at least some time ago when I last checked) ubuntu shipped ancient versions of azureus.
But you are right, I should install the ubuntu version and see how those guys solved the issue (if they in fact did solve it).

Anyway, I'm curious, is this only my issue or others simply ignore the "azureus did not shut down tidily" message and then complain about the sideeffects?
soger

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 6:24 AM   in response to: soger in response to: soger

Click to report abuse...
So, I've installed Kubuntu Oneric, and unfortunately the guys at ubuntu do not solve the shutdown issue. Anyway, kde has shutdown scripts, so at least that helps. I wrote a little script that looks like this:

java=`pidof java`
if (( "x$java" != "x" )); then
azureus --closedown
while (( -d "/proc/$java" )); do sleep 0.2s; done
fi

azureus being the only java program I'm running this little script closes it correctly. With the exception of my original problem, the statistics tab keeps disappearing.
How could I force it to open automatically? There used to be an option for this, but now it's gone.

edit: unfortunately square brackets do not show up, so I've replaced them with round ones.
soger

Posted: Jan 22, 2012 2:26 AM   in response to: soger in response to: soger

Click to report abuse...
I've just noticed another thing.
I made some changes yesterday to the "My Torrents" view (I removed some columns and I resized some others) but today when I started azureus the changes were reverted (the columns that I hid yesterday reappeared and the column sizes were also restored). So clearly something funky is going on when I shut down azureus with --closedown. Then how should I shut it down from the command line?
painrage

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 10:43 AM   in response to: soger in response to: soger

Click to report abuse...
I'm running win7 64 and have the same problem with shut down locking up if i don't first stop Vuse from all transfers.
soger

Posted: Jan 30, 2012 6:52 AM   in response to: painrage in response to: painrage

Click to report abuse...
I wouldn't say this is the same problem. What I was reporting is that shutting down from the command line with:
azureus --closedown
is not working correctly (statistics tab disappears, column changes are not saved). Yours is a different shutdown with a different problem.
soger

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 6:35 AM   in response to: soger in response to: soger

Click to report abuse...
Yes, well I feel like I'm talking by myself in here... Anyway I did some more research and testing and it seems like it's not eough to wait for the java process to finish because azureus has shutdown tasks to perform - which is another process that needs to be waited too.
So now I have three little scripts that aid azureus:

1) the startup script:
#!/bin/sh

toexec=`azparam "$@"`
flock -s /tmp/.azureus -c "$toexec" >/dev/null 2>&1 &

2) the startup helper (I call it azparam, I guess it's job could be done in bash, I just don't know how):
#!/usr/bin/perl

$ret="/path/to/azureus";
$ret.=' '.quotemeta while $_=shift;
print $ret;

3) the shutdown script (once again, I wrote round brackets instead of square ones):
#!/bin/bash

java=`pidof java`
if (( "x$java" != "x" )); then
/home/soger/Azureus/azureus --closedown
flock -x /tmp/.azureus -c 'sleep 0.1'
fi

You have to associate the first script with torrent files (not the original azureus script).
I know it's painfull, but I see no other way. And this still does not resolve my second problem where the changes to columns are not saved. Fortunately I don't change them too often. Also, restarting azureus releases the lock and the shutdown script will not work. You have to manually stop and start azureus if it was automatically restarted (ex. after a plugin installation).
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums