Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: Just very odd. Please help.

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Sep 12, 2011 7:26 PM Last Post By: Dureagon
Dureagon

Just very odd. Please help.
Posted: Sep 11, 2011 12:25 PM

Click to report abuse...
Hello. I am going to try to explain my problem with as much detail as possible. I hope that someone can be able to help me.

Situation:
I have 3 computers, 2 Desktops and 1 laptop. 1 computer is an old desktop that i have replaced with a new desktop. Let's call the new desktop "Desktop B" and the old desktop "Desktop A".
I have been using Vuze for years on my Laptop and Desktop A with no problems. I have only recently purchased Desktop B.

Laptop is running Windows 7 32bit Desktop B is running Windows 7 64bit.

Problem:
I have downloaded the newest version of Vuse for Desktop B and have noticed that the dl speeds are very slow. Not only are the dl speeds slow, but after trying to download a torrent (Any torrent, I have tried several) My entired internet connection is also slow until (usually) I close the torrent client.

Details:
If I do not open the torrent client at all on Desktop B my connection will maintain its normal speed. If torrents on my laptop, they download normally as they always have. I have ran a Glasnost test and it has shown that there is no evidence my isp is throttling my bandwith. My ISP (Road Runner) is also not on the list of ISPs who throttle bandwith. I have also opened ports on my router and am now running a static IP like may tutorials have said to do.

This is the behavior of the problem. As soon as I open the bittorrent client with a torrent running the speed of my connection is cut to about a 5th of what it usually is. This only happens on Desktop B and no other pcs or laptops in the house. As soon as i close the bittorrent client (most of the time) my connection goes back to normal. The times that it does not a simple reset of the modem/router fixes that problem. I am able to run these same exact torrents on my laptop with no issues whatsoever. Any Ideas?

Edited by: Dureagon on Sep 11, 2011 12:55 PM
newname600

Re: Just very odd. Please help.
Posted: Sep 11, 2011 1:10 PM   in response to: Dureagon in response to: Dureagon

Click to report abuse...
This sounds like your modem/router don't like the 64 bit, your decktop A was a 32 bit. Look and see if theres a setting in your router for 64 bit.
Dureagon

Posted: Sep 11, 2011 3:25 PM   in response to: newname600 in response to: newname600

Click to report abuse...
There is no setting on my router for 32/64 bit. I did a test however. I direct connected my modem to my Desktop B bypassing the router. And that seemed to solve the problem. How to get it to act normally using the router i have no idea. Its a Linksys WRT54GX4. I really have no idea where to begin fixing this if the router is the culprit.
newname600

Posted: Sep 11, 2011 5:35 PM   in response to: Dureagon in response to: Dureagon

Click to report abuse...
Ok I had a linksy WRT54xxx? and it would lose conection after I downloaded for awile, I finley replaced it and no more trouble. crisco 1000 was the only one I could buy here but it seems to work fine. If you keep haveing to reboot it, I'd bet its going............gone. Mine was old.
mmore1q3

Posted: Sep 11, 2011 11:22 PM   in response to: Dureagon in response to: Dureagon

Click to report abuse...
Your problem sound pecualiar, but is probable something related to speed settings.

64-bit/32-bit by itself does not cause anything, and there are no router settings dependent on that. (I am normally running Vuze with 32-bit java in in Win7 x64, and every now and then that also with 64-bit java. Works ok.)

Some ideas for you:
  • speed settings in the Vuze installations are different. Too much upload traffic jams the connection. Check again the max connection, and max. upload speed settings in Vuze. http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Good_settings
  • on the same thinking track: too many connections set in Vuze in the new PC, and the router chokes.
  • port forwarding settings: you have forwarded port X in the router to the old desktop PC's address, and you have not set the forwarding for port Y to the new PC's IP address. (this would only slow bittorrent traffic, not general internet browsing). For testing purposes, you might configure Vuze's in the different PC's to use different ports, and set the port-forwarding accordingly.
  • your antivirus/firewall software does not like java/Vuze in the new 64-bit PC? Rather far-fetched, but possible. If the "slow connection" only affects this new PC, this might be the reason. But if during the "slow connection" conditions, the other PC's internet connections (web browsing) also slow down, then this is not probably the reason.
newname600

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 4:08 AM   in response to: Dureagon in response to: Dureagon

Click to report abuse...
One thing go option/ advanced/connections/advanced Network Settings/Line Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) and set that at 1460 Your router will probley be set at that, to high of a setting here is not good.
mmore1q3

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 5:55 AM   in response to: newname600 in response to: newname600

Click to report abuse...
One thing go option/ advanced/connections/advanced Network Settings/Line Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) and set that at 1460 Your router will probley be set at that, to high of a setting here is not good.
That depends mainly on your internet connection type (cable, ADSL, PPPoE, ... ) and secondarily on your router's MTU settings.

1460 sounds low for most connection types.

1492 or 1500 are the usual ones. (Low values might be needed for some tunnel protocols, e.g. I have 1424 for a 6in4 IPv6 tunnel.)

You might test MTU: http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml
newname600

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 10:10 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
Ok a driver update for that router may be all he needs. on wireless it don't respond to well over ten feet as it comes when you install it.
Dureagon

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 7:26 PM   in response to: newname600 in response to: newname600

Click to report abuse...
Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I am finding that this may have nothing to do with Vuse. As there is an overall reduction of speed even when no torrent client is open. I have to constantly reset the connection. I think that it may be time for a new router. I will try my best.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums