Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Java problem - EXE4J_JAVA_HOME

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Dec 19, 2010 2:20 AM Last Post By: mmore1q3
occamsmeataxe

Java problem - EXE4J_JAVA_HOME
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 11:37 PM

Click to report abuse...
This problem has come up twice but never satisfactorily answered. I just ran into it.

I updated my JRE today from Sun. Both 32 bit and 64 bit versions to SE6u23 on my windows 7 x64 box
Vuze gave me an error message "No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from Java.com"

I set the environment variable EXE4J_JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files(x86)\Java\jre6
I looked in "Common Files". The directories referred to the last time this problem came up in the forums were not there.
Vuze doesn't work.
Any suggestions?
justanotheruser

Re: Java problem - EXE4J_JAVA_HOME
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 11:40 PM   in response to: occamsmeataxe in response to: occamsmeataxe

Click to report abuse...
Where did you set the environment variable and did you surround the path with ", I'm pretty sure you need to do that to cope with the space character, that and won't you need to point it to the bin directory?
occamsmeataxe

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 11:55 PM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
Yes, I have tried with and without quotes. I've tried with and without the \bin at the end. Makes no difference
justanotheruser

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 12:30 AM   in response to: occamsmeataxe in response to: occamsmeataxe

Click to report abuse...
So where did you set this variable and can you see it set if you open a command prompt?

Also, have you checked the Java Control Panel to ensure everything is okay there?
occamsmeataxe

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 12:36 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
I set it using: Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables
In the Command Prompt (why does Microsoft bury that most useful program out of the way?) I typed echo %EXE4J_JAVA_HOME% and got the expected results.
Other programs which use Java seem to be working fine - a couple IDEs and applications, apps in browsers, etc.
justanotheruser

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 12:53 AM   in response to: occamsmeataxe in response to: occamsmeataxe

Click to report abuse...
You'll have to wait for somebody else to help you I'm afraid. I have a Windows 7 VM but 1) it's 32bit and 2) I don't have that particular variable set and yet Vuze is working fine in the guest OS.

All I can suggest is to try uninstalling Java completely, install just the 32bit version and unset the variable but as you can see it's a generic sort of suggestion.
mmore1q3

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 2:04 AM   in response to: occamsmeataxe in response to: occamsmeataxe

Click to report abuse...
I have Win7 pro x64, Sun java6u23 with both 32bit and 64 versions installed. Both of them work ok with Vuze. (I can explicitly select from CMD commandline or shortcuts, which Java I use for Vuze).

But, I do not that have that environment variable EXE4J_JAVA_HOME set, and I have never seen that error message. You might test removing that variable, (especially if it existed before you now tested setting it).

I think that your problem may have something to do either with the installer that Vuze uses (install4j) or with the java launcher (azureus.exe = exe4j launcher).

You might try to identify if the problem is with Sun java or the Vuze launcher.

1) Does your java identíty itself ok, when tested from a browser? http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1

2) Test launching Vuze manually from CMD cmmandline (or from a created shortcut). The command used to launch the 32bit java (in 64bit Windows):
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw" -classpath swt.jar;Azureus2.jar org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main
(working directory should be your Vuze program directory, when that command is run)
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/howto_win.php

3) If Vuze starts manually ok, you might then test deleting the Azureus.exe aereg.dll and let Vuze to download and install the "platform support" again.

Other approach is to wonder about the laucher program Azureus.exe = EXE4J launcher program. Why does it not find Java?
The Vuze installer program may install its own java JRE in some cases, and will then try to keep using that Java despite you having installed Sun Java later.
You already mentioned seeing a couple of messages about this and here are links to them in any case:
http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=233226#233226
http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=232541#232541
You might search your disk for a "JRE" directory, and possibly remove it.
One possible location is also C:\program files (x86)\Vuze\jre.

Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums