Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Delete button in 4.5.0.2 shows dialog box instead of removing from library

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 30 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Nov 22, 2010 4:03 PM Last Post By: Magistic
dave18

Delete button in 4.5.0.2 shows dialog box instead of removing from library
Posted: Aug 9, 2010 3:44 PM

Click to report abuse...
OK, so this probably seems pretty minor, but I just upgraded to 4.5.0.2 and found a change in functionality that I really don't like and was wondering if I could change the behavior with an advanced setting checkbox somewhere...

Prior to my upgrade, when a torrent was selected and I hit the delete key, it was just removed from the library. Now when I hit the delete key, a dialog box pops up asking me whether I want to remove it from the library, delete the file from my computer, or just cancel the operation.

Yes, this is minor, but for some reason I find it really annoying having to read when I just want to remove the thing from the list like I did before. I hope this isn't too petty...

And BTW, the new UI looks great! I love the addition of the graphs. Nice work! :)

Java 1.6.0_06
Sun Microsystems Inc.
SWT v3650, win32
Windows XP v5.1, x86
V4.5.0.2/4 az2
ISP: Surewest
Connection NOT wireless

Thanks for any help or suggestions that anyone has!

-Dave
Ace_boy2786

Re: Delete button in 4.5.0.2 shows dialog box instead of removing from library
Posted: Aug 13, 2010 10:40 AM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
I agree, Anyone know of a fix for this break???
mike09

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 1:21 PM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
I have the same "problem" here and it's quite annoying, still no solution on how to fix this ?
Zephiris

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 2:01 PM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
Same issue here... extremely annoying and I made account here cuz I couldnt find this one out on my own.

I would greatly appreciate it if there is a way to get it back to how it always was, or a option to turn it off.
I do not wish to delete them from my PC, I just want to delete it from the Library by default... (like it used to be always).

Using default Azureus interface, oldschool user.
Pferdeknecht

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 10:04 AM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
Also in Version 4.5.0.4 the torrent files are deleted from disc when they only should be removed from the library. It's VERY annoying to undelete the torrent file each time it has been removed from the library and I didn*t find any way to stop VUZE deleting the torrent files from disc. I hope this behavior will be changed soon!
kdean

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 10:15 PM   in response to: Pferdeknecht in response to: Pferdeknecht

Click to report abuse...
The delete torrent file checkbox is right in the window that pops up when deleting.

To customize the defaults for deleting, go to Preferences/Options-->Files and go down to the File deletion section.

There you can permanently toggle the deletion of the torrent and other options.
Pendelton_Fluff...

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 4:40 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Attachment exa00001.gif (5.4 KB)
This does not fix the issue. There is no option to change the default behavior of the input.
I thought, perhaps like other programs, if I first selected to "delete from Library", then disable the dialogue, it would save the action.

No such luck, it silently deletes the file from the disk regardless.

I thought "well, fine, I just have to live with a dialogue, even after the function worked INTUITIVELY for five years."

Oh, but to my delighted surprise when I tried to delete multiple selected files - I HAVE TO CONFIRM EACH ONE INDIVIDUALLY!

Sorry, this is very frustrating, and why this was changed boggles my mind.

Please fix this nonsense ASAP for us luddites.
kdean

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 7:03 PM   in response to: Pendelton_Fluff... in response to: Pendelton_Fluff...

Click to report abuse...
I made a post in the Bug Reports and Patches board regarding the missing option for choosing between Delete From Computer and Remove From Library when unchecking the Confirm option. That should be an option.

As to confirming each one individually... when my delete window appears, there's a checkbox to apply to all selected torrents, so you shouldn't have to do them one at a time.
Zephiris

Posted: Sep 15, 2010 6:19 AM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean

Click to report abuse...
Another thing...

if you select all you want to delete, and then just right mouse button on it and select remove you dont get the stupid popup either, nor are your files (torrents) deleted.
I am also saving the torrent files I downloaded on my PC, so I know how annoying this is. This makes me itch to not update anymore eachtime a new update comes around, this update sucks balls
Captain_Pugwash

Posted: Sep 20, 2010 8:56 PM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
I also made an account solely to complain about this change.

Previously, pressing delete would "remove from library" leaving both the torrent file and downloaded data untouched. It was convenient using the keyboard up and down arrows, pressing delete to clean up the GUI and not touch any files.

But no, now we get a confirmation dialogue. And if you turn off the confirmation in Options, then press delete, it defaults to "delete from computer" and this cannot be changed! Somehow the more destructive 'delete' is the default action when it should be a separate option in the right click menu as it used to be. Putting this on shift-delete is also a good idea.

This is a step backwards, turning a convenience into an annoyance. Please make delete more configurable.
croquesaveur

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 6:27 PM   in response to: Captain_Pugwash in response to: Captain_Pugwash

Click to report abuse...
Add me to the list of people annoyed by this "improvement". I liked being able to select a set of files and be able to select between Remove... --> And Delete Torrent or Remove... --> And Delete Both from the context menu.

This dialog thing is a pain in the ass.

I joined the forum to complain only about this annoying change.
newname600

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 2:18 AM   in response to: croquesaveur in response to: croquesaveur

Click to report abuse...
Add me to the change that I don't like eather. the remove from libary was better. And some of these update's messes up your setting's so your download speed gose down. I say IF IT NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT.
Bubba

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 4:14 AM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
And WHY did you remove the right-click context-menu for removing/deleting ??
ANNOYING it is !!
nolar

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 1:54 PM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
4511-05 nightly jar will add an option for Remove vs Delete when enabling the no-prompt-dialog option.
mmore1q3

Posted: Oct 17, 2010 1:16 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar

Click to report abuse...
croquesaveur

Posted: Oct 18, 2010 7:28 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
This is better, but sometimes I want to delete the file and other times I only want to remove the file and torrent from the library.

Not everyone uses Vuze as a media center.

Personally I started using Azureus a long time ago because it was a good BitTorrent client that supported plugins (RSSFeed Scanner in particular). Over time all this extra playback and conversion stuff got added. Presumably a lot of people wanted all this stuff.

My use cases are:

1) A file I want gets downloaded. Once I'm done seeding I want to remove the file from my library. Whenever I get around to watching the file (it could be many months later) I'll delete it using my HTPC.
2) A file I do not want gets downloaded. I want to delete the file completely.

In both cases I want to delete the .torrent file.

The old interface allowed me to select a half dozen files and perform the desired action. It was not broken.

Adding a giant pop-up dialog doesn't seem like a usability improvement to me.

The change described in the Wiki seems to allow me to choose one use case or the other but not either one as necessary.

Thanks,

Chris.
nolar

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 11:00 AM   in response to: croquesaveur in response to: croquesaveur

Click to report abuse...
No delete functionality has been removed (actually, no-prompt config options have been added); it just looks different. Instead of choosing the type of 'delete' action via the right-click submenus, you now click one button or the other in a dialog.
croquesaveur

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 6:46 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar

Click to report abuse...
Yeah, I understand the functionality is the same. Any UX designer knows that moving the mouse a long distance is slower than moving it a short one. Also an extra step is required to click the checkbox that says "Apply To All". Although similar, this is not an equivalent use case.

Before:
1. Select files.
2. Right-click and choose Remove...
3. Move the mouse a couple of millimeters to
4. Select "Delete" or "Remove From Library".

Now:
1. Select files.
2. Right-click and choose Delete...
3. Move the mouse several inches to
4. Select the "Apply This To All Files" checkbox.
5. Move the mouse several inches to...
6. Click on the "Delete" or "Remove" buttons.

Hell, I'd happily settle for just a shortcut combo to perform Delete vs Remove for the files I've selected.

Thanks,

Chris.
Ripplin

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 11:48 AM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
Getting rid of the Remove option is the kind of stupid decision that makes me regret updating! Why oh why would they do that?! :(

So, UNTIL THIS GETS FIXED (hint hint!), what do I do now? Does 'delete from computer' delete the data AND the torrent file, or just the data? Does 'remove from library' leave the data and torrent file intact?

ARGH!
Ripplin

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 11:52 AM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
"OK, so this probably seems pretty minor"

Not minor at all! I'm not the only one who joined the forum just to voice displeasure at the removal of a very convenient feature. As has already been said, this is an annoyance and a step backwards!

Come on, Vuze, restore that function for us quickly! ;)
nolar

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 12:11 PM   in response to: Ripplin in response to: Ripplin

Click to report abuse...
Delete from computer = delete underlying data
Remove from library = does not delete data

.torrent file removal is a separate checkbox in the dialog.
Ripplin

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 2:41 PM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
So...um...any chance the old Remove system will be added back into the program at some point? I hope there is at least some discussion of doing it.
nolar

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 4:22 PM   in response to: Ripplin in response to: Ripplin

Click to report abuse...
There are no plans to revert back, no.
Ripplin

Posted: Oct 30, 2010 5:12 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar

Click to report abuse...
Understood. Thanks for the reply. I'd love to know what the rationale was behind changing it, though. Seemed like an 'if it ain't broke, don't break it' thing to me. ;)
mmore1q3

Posted: Oct 31, 2010 1:02 AM   in response to: Ripplin in response to: Ripplin

Click to report abuse...
Ripplin

Posted: Oct 31, 2010 6:41 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
Interesting. One of those things where if it worked well for some, they would miss it, but if it was buggy for others, they wouldn't be sad seeing it go. ;) I guess I don't mind the new system. I just liked the ease with which I used the Remove system. Thanks for the reply.
Captain_Pugwash

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 3:03 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
Tried 4.5.1.1 beta and the delete key is now very configurable. Someone else actually brought this up before my first post: http://forum.vuze.com/message.jspa?messageID=228528#228528

But the main issue in this thread is the dialog box. As croquesaveur explained, it takes more effort to do the same stuff. In past versions, choices for deletion were nicely placed as two separate context menu items. Having these options delegated to a submenu was bad enough, but now in 4.5.x, having them moved to a dialog is just terribly inconvenient.

Here's what I'd like to see:

delete -- Remove from Library
shift-delete -- Delete from Computer
r-click, Remove from Library
r-click, Delete from Computer
(all configurable, of course)

.. with no dialogs whatsoever. It says the code was buggy, but can't a context menu item just call the same function that the (apparently working) dialog choice calls?
fieldmaus

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 5:15 PM   in response to: Captain_Pugwash in response to: Captain_Pugwash

Click to report abuse...
Alright, I'm confused. I'm using 4.5.0.2. Since the update I have seen the "delete .torrent file as well" tickbox, as shown on the "delete_torrent" wiki page linked above, but in the past couple weeks this box disappeared. Why can't I see that option, or delete any .torrent files without having to find and delete them manually? After I'm done seeding, I usually leave the file on my computer, but want to remove it from the library AND delete the .torrent file. I'm not having any luck figuring that out. What am I missing? Does it matter where the .torrent file is saved?
mmore1q3

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 1:14 AM   in response to: fieldmaus in response to: fieldmaus

Click to report abuse...
Alright, I'm confused. I'm using 4.5.0.2. Since the update I have seen the "delete .torrent file as well" tickbox, as shown on the "delete_torrent" wiki page linked above, but in the past couple weeks this box disappeared. Why can't I see that option
...because you are using an too old version of Vuze...

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Delete_torrent
The 'Delete' (or 'Remove') torrent command was changed in Vuze 4.5.0.3. Earlier there were several slightly different Delete methods, which are now unified.

Update to the current 4.5.1.0.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/files/
fieldmaus

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 9:45 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
Sorry, I let subject line confuse me momentarily. I AM using 4.5.1.0. I have seen the checkbox for removing the torrent file previously, but it recently disappeared and as far as I know, no updates were applied.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'm wondering if the check box has disappeared because Vuze can't find the .torrent files on my computer. Does anyone know where/how it finds the .torrent files to remove them? Do they need to be saved to a particular directory for Vuze to locate and thus delete them?
Magistic

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 4:03 PM   in response to: dave18 in response to: dave18

Click to report abuse...
Please see the Options - Files - File Deletion config section. You probably want to make it Ask on deletion.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums