Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Devices

Thread: Added basic DLNA TV support

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 59 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: Oct 2, 2011 9:34 PM Last Post By: doctrjack
nolar

Added basic DLNA TV support
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 1:30 PM
Click to report abuse...
We've supported the UPnPAV spec for quite a while now, but we recently obtained a Samsung LN40B650 flatscreen television at our office, which supports streaming playback of video via the DLNA protocol. Vuze client now acts as a DLNA server, meaning any TV or media device player / renderer should be detected and play back Vuze downloaded content right over your network. Not all DLNA compatible hardware is the same however, so codec support is device & model dependent. Our Samsung plays almost anything we threw at it, and Sony televisions are supposed to be good too, but if you run into device-specific problems, please post about it here, as we'd like to build out our officially-supported library.

You'll need to first uncheck 'Hide generic devices' in the Options - Devices config section to see these detected devices atm.

Edited by: nolar on Apr 2, 2010 1:37 PM
blue12

Re: Added basic DLNA TV support
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 5:09 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
hello i am new to the whole dlna thing and just brought a certified dlna television the sony bravia kdl-32ex308 and having a little trouble with the setup vuze recognizes the tv but the tv says vuze is a unsupported server i read the post from this thread and it told me what to do by unchecking the hide device in the options menu and thats when it found my television but still wont connect please someone help greatly would appreciate it thank you
cejones

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 12:04 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
I just wanted to say that my new Samsung LN46C630 showed up as a device in Vuze and plays movies perfectly. Awesome job!

Now, I have a question. Is it possible to setup folders for genres? When I am on my TV, and choose the Vuze DLNA server, it just lists all my movies alphabetically. Anyway to setup folders with say, all Sci-Fi movies, etc?

Thanks again for a great addition to the Vuze program.

Chris
nolar

Posted: Apr 18, 2010 9:04 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
I'll ask our device dev to detail some way of debugging your Sony comms. We've only got a Samsung here in the office atm, which is the only tv we've mildly tested so far.

At this point the dlna exposure Vuze makes is super basic...there's still a ton of the spec not implemented. We'll improve this over time.
parg

Posted: Apr 18, 2010 9:46 PM   in response to: cejones in response to: cejones
Click to report abuse...
totally untested, but for some other devices you can map categories to folders. Under tools->options->plugins->media server check the 'create folders for categories' option.

then try assigning categories to your content.

tell me if it works :)
kmcnul73

Posted: Apr 21, 2010 2:55 AM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
Are you able to use the Samsung remote to control playback of media files. When I am streaming from Vuze onto my LA40B650, the remote does not allow me to pause, rewind etc. This is a problem as if I am interrupted I can't see any way to get back to where I was - any ideas? Thanks!
nolar

Posted: Apr 21, 2010 2:55 PM   in response to: kmcnul73 in response to: kmcnul73
Click to report abuse...
Ya, no pause/rewind for us either, sorry. Will have to look into how to expose such functionality.
torches

Posted: Apr 30, 2010 12:30 AM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
I can see vuze on my Samsung LA32B650 and PS3 but I do not see the contents of my folders. Are those folders the logged in users folder?
Also you stated :
You'll need to first uncheck 'Hide generic devices' in the Options - Devices config section to see these detected devices atm.

I can't find this option in my Vuze version, I am running 4.3.0.6 on linux ubuntu 10.04

THX
torches

Posted: Apr 30, 2010 9:39 AM   in response to: torches in response to: torches
Click to report abuse...
I just installed vuze on a winxp and I see the option in version 4.4 but I still can't see the content on the XP as well.

Also, I downloaded the latest for ubuntu from your website and still I do not see the same option in linux.

back to the original problem. which folders is vuze using for streaming. Is there a port I need to open on my ubuntu or windows machine?

When this works it will be really great, I can't wait to till my friends about it.
nolar

Posted: Apr 30, 2010 5:21 PM   in response to: torches in response to: torches
Click to report abuse...
There is no Devices support under Linux at this time.

Under Win/Mac, you explicitly drag and drop videos to the device that appears in the left nav area.
torches

Posted: May 1, 2010 10:22 AM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
That is a shame, nice work though guys. keep it up.
bull

Posted: May 15, 2010 12:19 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
Hi everybody

I got a Sony KDL-46EX700 and although it finds the media server, it can't connect to it. Could anyone help me out to get it working? In the server diagnosis panel of the TV it states "server does not support" whatever this means.

Are there any config issues knowns?

I can, though, find the TV in the renderer's section of Vuze. If this information is of any use.

Thx
bull

by the way, I'm running Vuze on Snow Leo.

Edited by: bull on 15.05.2010 12:20
parg

Posted: May 15, 2010 5:03 PM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
Do you have a media server on your PC that the Sony will play files from? If so, perhaps you could install WireShark (http://www.wireshark.org/) and capture a network trace of the TV <-> PC communications so I can analyse them. If you manage to do this, don't include the trace corresponding to the actual video file being played as this will be huge. Of more interest is the interaction as you browse to the media server on the TV, navigate to a video, then play the first second of it.

Thanks
Kippax

Posted: May 24, 2010 5:06 PM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
A thumbs up fom my Panasonic P50G20 plasma and me.

Wirelessly watching downloaded movie usinf vuze.... I'm made up

Cheers guys n gals !!
bull

Posted: May 25, 2010 9:27 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
hi parg

I'm running the whole thing on a Mac with Apple's OS X 10.6 aka Snow Leopard.

I actually tried with TwonkyMedia server and I was finally able to play music from the iTunes library and pictures from iPhoto on the TV.
But I had probs with videos, but rather because I was using a format the TV was not able to play and the media server not able to real-time transcode it.

Unfortunately wireshark.org is not online for the moment, but as soon as I get back to it I will try to do a capture of the Bravia browsing for files via TwonkyMediaServer.

Just for a recap: I am not even able to connect to the Vuze MediaServer with the TV.

So as soon as I get to it i'll post a capture of the Bravia doing the "Serverdiagnosis" thing once with Twonky- and once with Vuze-MediaServer. Furthermore a capture of the Bravia browsing for files on Twonky.

Thanks and, in my own interest, I'll be on it as soon as wireshark.org is back online...

bull
parg

Posted: May 25, 2010 10:53 AM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
great, looking forward to the trace!
bull

Posted: May 26, 2010 1:21 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Attachment dlna.zip (836.2 KB)
Hi parg

I did some traces of the Bravia interacting with Vuze and Twonky. Hopefully the filenames are clear enough. If you got any further question let me know. After Wireshark is finally running on OS.X now, it's not a big deal to get other traces. It's only for my Twonky test licence that is running out in 10 days time.

Regards
bull
parg

Posted: May 26, 2010 10:03 AM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
Great! This might take a while as I need to make incremental changes to see what is required.

I've uploaded a 0.2.29 plugin version, its in .vuze file format so you might be able to double click it to install, or worst case use the file->open->Vuze file menu option.

I've extended the root device description with some dnla attributes, let's see if this gets us any further.

thanks!
bull

Posted: May 27, 2010 12:15 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Hi parg

Does not work so far, but one question came up to me:
Did you hardcode the server-name in the update? It shows now "tunder.twonky" regardless of what I enter in the corresponding field of the config page.

Regards
bull
alexvoce

Posted: May 27, 2010 2:07 AM   in response to: Kippax in response to: Kippax
Click to report abuse...
hi can u tell me how u did it on ur txp50g20 as i have the same model and i tried to put the file i wanted into devices and it wanted to convert it for itunes which obviously i didnt want to do... i am missing anything here???
parg

Posted: May 27, 2010 10:00 AM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
No changes in that area - weird, perhaps the TV is caching it for some reason? Can you just check that the new version installed OK? Check the version in tools->plugins and make sure it is 0.2.29.

I'll be making a new version soon with some more changes :)
parg

Posted: May 27, 2010 12:19 PM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Here's version 0.2.29.1 - please install as before, verify that the version has installed correctly, then retry, If this doesn't work, can you grab a new network trace of you attempting to connect to Vuze from the TV in case things have progressed further before failing?

thanks!
bull

Posted: May 27, 2010 1:06 PM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Hallelujah....

So, with 0.2.29.1 I can see the Vuze icon (frog) display on the TV.
Moreover the "Serverdiagnosis" results "successful"!

For each category I can brose for on the TV (Fotos, Music, Videos) I do find the Vuze icon, and can see the following four folders listed beneath: Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures. But none of them has any content.

I dragged a nondisplayable .avi file from my finder onto the device in the vuze-menu an let Vuze transcode it to .vob which the Bravia should play, but it does not show up in any of the folders, neither does the TV start to play, do I have to make any configs for the folders or their contents?

Any ideas?

Regards
bull
parg

Posted: May 27, 2010 2:32 PM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
Have a go with 0.2.29.2, it has a chance of working with .vob mpeg2 files. If it doesn't work please grab a network trace of you browsing the contents of the movies folder.
bull

Posted: May 28, 2010 1:14 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Heureka! Great job!

So now it works. Transcoded a file from .avi to .vob and it showed up on the TV browsing into the "Downloads" and "Movies" folder, but not in "Music" and "Pictures" as it should be :)

.Watching the film was fine, some interruptions in the audio sub-track, but this might origin from transcoding.
.Fast forward x1 and x2 worked as fine as fast rewind.
.The pause future works fine if you interrupt for a short time only, but going to the kitchen to get a beer makes it necessary to go back to the menu and choose the same film again. This will then start the movie from the moment it was paused before.

So far so good, movies work, sadly enough that the Bravia only plays MPEG2.

How about accessing the iTunes Library or pictures from iPhoto? Can I config this somehow?

Regards
bull

PS Really great job!
parg

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:46 AM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
Cool :) We don't really support non-video content so there's no easy way of getting access to them via Vuze. You could drag the files onto the device in the sidebar and select 'transcode never' but it probably won't show on the Sony as I haven't looked into the DNLA support for those media types. As for pulling stuff out of iTunes, especially fair-play protected content, I have no idea, but it sounds nasty.

One thing I will look into though is getting the Sony to show up in the sidebar in the default view (as opposed to having to show 'generic' devices) - can you help me test this?

cheers
bull

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 6:37 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Hi parg

Sorry for the long reply delay, but I was on a business trip.

Sure I'll be glad to help you testing quite anything with my Bravia.

(In the end I'll be for my own good) :)

Two question:
Could you add specific transcoding settings for the Bravia, or rather a config page where one could modify the transcoding settings? I'm testing better settings than the generic one, that unfortunately produces 4:3 instead of 16:9. But it's a bit difficult since I have to adapt the generic settings for all devices...

I perfectly understood that you do not intend to support audio or photos, but in terms of product management it would surely be great to try to add just basic support :)
Probably you could just tell the mediaserver to look into the users home directory and there
/music/iTunes/iTunes Music
and publish all this content into the audio folder to the device. This should work perfectly on a Mac, if the user did not move the iTunes library to another place :)

For photos it'd be
/photos/iPhoto Library/Originals

:)

Cheers
bull

Edited by: bull on 05.06.2010 15:39
parg

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 9:44 PM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
I can definitely add specific transcode settings - please send the profiles over, with a bit of descriptive text, and I'll include them.

cheers
Paul
bull

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 11:01 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Hi Paul

Heres just the most basic setting I tested. Only change was the 16:9 video format, and a try in slight changes in audio output. Seemed to me to work quite well.

It's quite difficult to test; since I do not have too much different input files. :)

Regards
AJ
parg

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 2:29 PM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
I've bundled that with OSX version 0.4.7 of the transcode plugin - you'll need to be running the latest beta of Vuze (B16 - see http://azureus.sourceforge.net/index_CVS.php). Hopefully the Bravia will show up in your sidebar and will have two profiles defined for it, the existing one plus your new one. The audio is pretty loud with your changes, does the TV need boosted audio in general?

cheers
Paul
bull

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 11:07 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Hi Paul

The Bravia does perfectly show up in the sidebar. Great job.

I did some more tests with transcoding settings, and figured out, that, although it would be quite comfty not to have to change the aspect settings on the TV all the time while watching via vuze, it's too difficult to get all the settings straight. 16:9 does not work, if the original is in 2.35:1 (but transcoding in 4:3 works, since you can change aspects accordingly on TV) because it stretches the frames. But for TV recordings this 16:9 works fine.
I tried to -aspect 2.35 but this was rather a disaster.
Also the -ab 192000 was rather a mistake, worked only for one film I was testing with then.

So to sum up; the -vol 512 is quite useful, since with that the volume of the movies has about the same source-volume as TV so no vol+ and vol- when changing between watching vuze movie and TV.

The 16:9 is useful for TV recordings that source 16:9. Any other aspects should be transcoded without the -aspect flag and then adapted via the TV remote. That's a bit annoying since after every pause you have to change aspects again on the TV, but least people look like people. :)

In fact the setting without -aspect x:y would do for all cases but having to change aspect-ratio on TV anytime. But with this at least you do not have to think which setting to choose...

Just one thing: the progressbar in the transcoding view does not progress unless I click on the file, and it only progresses on-click.

Anything else I can do?

Regards
AJ
parg

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 11:40 AM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
Hi,

Yup, the progress bar not updating is a known bug that should be fixed soon.

So, if I'm reading things right, I should

1) add the -vol 512 to the old profile
2) remove the -ab from the new one
3) keep the 16:9 profile for the case where people know the source is 16:9 already

Not optimal but would keep most people happy?

Thanks for all the testing - let me know if you figure out anything else useful I can add/change!

cheers
Paul
bull

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 11:51 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Hi Paul

1) yes
2) Yes
3) YES
:)

I admit that I could have been a bit shorter in my explanation.

And, yes, I think it would be a nice solution for most of the users. It might be worth a note in the 16:9-profiles description that it fits 16:9 sources ONLY. And that, if the user ist not perfectly sure, he should go for the other profile...

I'll let you know if I get anything further with anything :)

Will there be an official release with all the things you added?

Regards and thanks for the great work!
AJ
parg

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 12:25 PM   in response to: bull in response to: bull
Click to report abuse...
Yup, next official release will include all the changes.

cheers
Paul
kinglodda

Posted: Jul 16, 2010 12:02 PM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Hi,

I have a question (i'm no transcoding expert btw):

I also have a Sony KDL TV and right now I'm trying Vuze as my DLNA Server. It works so far, but I think it's not perfect. For example if I take this current A-Team trailer http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/The_A-Team_1080p_Theatrical_Trailer.html (.mp4 file) and put it on a USB stick and insert the stick in my TV I can play the trailer. If I drag this file into Vuze on my TV section, it transcodes it and this takes up to 10min for the 2min trailer :( (but it works..but taking up 5times of the original length is not good)

So my question: Why does this file need to be trancoded? My TV could play this file directly, so it would be great if I could try to skip the conversion. But there is no possibility to do this :(

Edited by: kinglodda on 16.07.2010 12:03
roskelld

Posted: Jul 17, 2010 3:52 AM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
I've just got a Panasonic SC-BT230 Bluray Home cinema setup which has DLNA support.

The device spots Vuze in the server listing but Vuze doesn't see the Panasonic system. I tried sticking videos in the iTunes and Xbox device lists to see if, for some weird reason, the Panasonic would pick them up, but sadly it doesn't.

I've been through this thread, updating the media server and revealing hidden devices, but no joy so far.

I haven't installed the latest Vuze beta, I don't know if there's any potential fixes in there that could help out.

Cheers,

roskelld
rain ruska

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 1:10 PM   in response to: roskelld in response to: roskelld
Click to report abuse...
I've got the same problem with my blueray lg soundbar.

LG finds Vuze
but Vuze shows no LG in sidebar

Any answers so far?

greetings
rain
parg

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 8:48 PM   in response to: kinglodda in response to: kinglodda
Click to report abuse...
I know this isn't great UI design (hey, it wasn't mine) but you should be able to do what you want by selecting the 'Never' option on the transcode profile selection screen bottom right (there's a drop down). You then have to go ahead and select one of the profiles (doesn't matter which) to get the dialog to do close and do something. In theory this should make the file available on the device without transcode - tell me how it works out :)
parg

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 8:54 PM   in response to: rain ruska in response to: rain ruska
Click to report abuse...
If you have a device that shows Vuze, but Vuze doesn't show the device, try the following:

Right click on the Devices entry in the sidebar and select 'options'

Uncheck the box titled 'hide generic devices'

Now see if your device appears in the sidebar - if so you there are a couple default transcode profiles available, you can also right-click and deselect the 'only show transcoded files' option.

Tell me how you get on.
Querion

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 1:58 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Hi, quick question. Transcoding works alright on my Samsung TV, but I could not have been able to display subtitles with the transcoded avi. I am guessing there is no support yet for subtitles. If there its already there, please explain how to do it (beyond the obvious "giving the same name to the subtitle file" solution). If there is no support for subtitles yet, I assume it would be an awesome feature to implement.
rain ruska

Posted: Aug 9, 2010 4:29 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
thanks parg,

but I already unchecked the 'hide generic devices'

still no sign of the LG Soundbar.
Any other solutions?

greetings

rain
JazJon

Posted: Aug 11, 2010 6:15 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
I'm using an xbox 360 and I can view / play .avi files I'm currently seeding in Vuze. (works great)

Can we have Vuze list my entire shared video library? It seems the only method to play non torrent videos is to drag and drop them via the Vuze gui first. I'm running Vuze as a Service on my Windows Home Server box so this isnt easily done.

Many of my .avi files will not play back in the native Xbox 360 interface that connects to my shared video library. I can view the library, but many say they are not supported. Since Vuze seems to transcode anything and everything you throw at it, it would be nice to use it for the above!

Is this possible now or in a future release? I'm looking for a kick back bedroom solution that just works via remote control.
CocoPops

Posted: Aug 12, 2010 6:52 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
Vuze sees my Sony Bravia TV and the TV see Vuze... but if I drag an avi onto the device I get an error saying no profiles...
See image below:
http://img.skitch.com/20100812-xpxij88dc42k6eixw54ekkccd6.jpg

Edited by: CocoPops on Aug 12, 2010 6:56 AM
chrisadam5

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 2:10 AM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
Codec support must be TV side. DLNA is a network protocol for streaming ... section it will bring up a listing of any network paths you added a shortcut to, ... but the media formats supported by the TV's are very basic. ...

Want to get-on Google's first page and loads of traffic to your website? Hire a SEO Specialist from Ocean Groups seo pecialist

parg

Posted: Aug 23, 2010 4:13 PM   in response to: rain ruska in response to: rain ruska
Click to report abuse...
Hi rain, sorry for the delay.

That's weird, do you think you could generate a debug.zip (from the help menu in Vuze) and send it to me - paul- at -vuze- dot -com ?

thanks!
breachy51

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 12:21 AM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
SONY Bravia KDL-37EX403U 37
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM

I'm having a slightly different problem to what others seemed to have be describing. I've had no problems with vuze and the bravia finding each other, thats been excellent.

I've dragged two avi's of dvd rips in to vuze and they are transcoded in reasonable time. However it is the playback on my bravia that I'm having difficulty with.

Firstly, none of the aspect ratio settings seem to get the ideal picture. The "wide" setting seems to stretch the picture too much, I usually end up going with "zoom" on the tv. Not a major issue though.

The difference between 720p avi's and dvd rips is incredibly apparent on the tv, the dvd rips look pretty rubbish, 720p's look excellent.

I seem to get stuttering on the video during certain sections. This is the main issue.

I played the files (both before and after transcode) on the vlc player on my laptop and there is no stuttering.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
geoffw23

Posted: Oct 4, 2010 4:09 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg
Click to report abuse...
I to am having the same problems, Vuze shows up on my LG player, but the LG does not show up on the Vuze sidebar?

Please help.

Geoff
parg

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 9:16 AM   in response to: geoffw23 in response to: geoffw23
Click to report abuse...
Please update to the latest beta (join the beta program via the Help menu item), run Vuze (after it has fully installed all the beta components) then send me a debug.zip (paul- at -vuze- dot -com)

Thanks
parg

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 9:17 AM   in response to: CocoPops in response to: CocoPops
Click to report abuse...
Please update to the latest beta (join the beta program via the Help menu item), run Vuze (after it has fully installed all the beta components) and see if that fixes things.

Thanks
crudbug

Posted: Dec 10, 2010 3:22 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
Hi Paul,

I have asked a question here, http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=233443&#233443

As, you said above we can select "No Transcode" option in the UI. I don't see any dropdown coming when I drag and drop .mp4 file. Is this a bug ?

I am running Vuze 2010.10.05 | Vuze 4.5.1.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.5

See the screenshot attached
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)