Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: How to set Vuze as default download software, NOT frostwire

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jun 15, 2013 11:41 PM Last Post By: elgrayso
tinker

How to set Vuze as default download software, NOT frostwire
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 4:07 PM
Click to report abuse...
A prior post said to try Options -> Interface -> Reset File Associations, but I couldn't find any "Reset File Associations" under that tab, or anything that looked vaguely related.

Any help in making Vuze my primarily place for downloads?
Washii

Re: How to set Vuze as default download software, NOT frostwire
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 4:22 PM   in response to: tinker in response to: tinker
Click to report abuse...
"Reset explorer file associations (.torrent)" next to 'Reset' button, with 'Check associations on startup' checkbox.

It's available in all user modes. Did you scroll down to the bottom?
tinker

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 7:35 PM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii
Click to report abuse...
I've spent the last hour + searching for any resemblance of what you were talking about...

Searched all throughout Preferences/Option Tab, found NO "reset" button next to anything about "file associations;" didn't even find the word "associations." Checked on all 3 modes.

Scrolled down to the bottom of Preferences, but found nothing out of the ordinary.
Washii

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 7:45 PM   in response to: tinker in response to: tinker
Click to report abuse...
Can you please copy/paste the information from Help -> About Vuze? (Yes, you can highlight and copy it)
timdaw

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:33 PM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii
Click to report abuse...
Since I installed osx10.6, limewire has become my default torrent app. I've looked and looked and the 'reset' option is nowhere to be seen on my Vuze either. Is it a Mac thing?
tinker

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:34 PM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii
Click to report abuse...
Washii,

I don't follow.

Using a Mac, I have access to File --> About Vuze (which is nothing...developers' names, etc.) and the Help Tab; which doesn't have much useful headings under it.

Are we talking about the same thing?
tinker

Posted: Jan 9, 2010 10:39 AM   in response to: tinker in response to: tinker
Click to report abuse...
Anyone?
timdaw

Re: How to set Vuze as default download software, not LIMEWIRE
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 11:29 AM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii
Click to report abuse...
Hey Again,
So I'm still on a mac and I still don't seem to have any of the options you mention. This problem of Limewire being my default torrent app happened when I installed Snow Leopard. I'm assuming this is relevant. Please, any advice at all would be gratefully received.
I've attached a few screenshots of the interface section of my preferences just in case they help.
Thanks in advance,
Tim
kdean

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 8:55 PM   in response to: timdaw in response to: timdaw
Click to report abuse...
Not sure if Snow Leopard throws any wrenches in the works, but did you try the following.

To set torrent files to open with Vuze:
Get Info on a torrent, change the "open with:" option to Vuze and then click "Change All...".

To set your browser and other apps to open magnet links in Vuze, you could try installing RCDefaultApp which installs a System Preferences where you can edit the URL protocol for magnet links to open in Vuze and you can set the .torrent extension to open in Vuze.
westernwest

Posted: May 21, 2010 4:56 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean
Click to report abuse...
@ washii dud you are slow when you go to the interface tab move your mouse over to the right and srcoll the page all the way down there youll see the reset button not too complicated i hope
westernwest

Posted: May 21, 2010 5:01 PM   in response to: tinker in response to: tinker
Click to report abuse...
same thing scroll all the way down on the interface tab aaalllll thee waaayy down make sure then youll finally see it
Mkdw

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 10:08 PM   in response to: tinker in response to: tinker
Click to report abuse...
For the love of... please stop talking about scrolling down and 'its there'. He said he's on a MAC, they both did, and that feature is simply NOT available on the mac version of Vuze. So please stop giving Windows advice.

As a MAC user, the best way to work around this is to make your internet browser recognize your application to always open magnet / torrent links with Vuze as your default application.

If you're using firefox: Firefox -> Preferences -> Applications -> magnet

You may enter 'magnet' into the search bar and the result will show up immediately. To the right you will see action and a drop down menu with various application options. If you do not see the application you wish, then select 'user other...' and find the application in your OS (usually found in the application folder).

Using the same search, type in 'torrent' and do the same thing.

A similar process can be used with IE or whatever.

IF you're using torrent files then its quite easy.

You just right click the torrent file, get info, open with, select the program, click change all.

AlyssaZ

Posted: May 3, 2011 1:19 PM   in response to: Mkdw in response to: Mkdw
Click to report abuse...
What if there is no magnet? I searched that one mine and nothing came up.
MLopez927

Posted: May 23, 2011 8:35 PM   in response to: tinker in response to: tinker
Click to report abuse...
Hello guys,

Here I have attached a pic of what you should be looking for on Windows 7. I do not own a Mac so I am not able to help you there. Hope this helps.

Edited by: MLopez927 on May 23, 2011 8:37 PM
scy77

Posted: Jul 28, 2012 5:59 AM   in response to: MLopez927 in response to: MLopez927
Click to report abuse...
Had this problem myself for quite some time on an older Mac and kept getting the error message:

Protocol (magnet) isn't associated with any program

until I finally figured it out. I had thought that the problem was that I was running OS 10.3.9, so I upgraded to 10.4.11, but in retrospect it shouldn't have been necessary, but I can't say for certain. That being said, all of these steps may not be necessary but this is the configuration that finally worked for me (although it does seem a little unstable, so some tweaking may be required):

1. In Firefox, in the URL bar enter:

about:config

You may get a warning message prompting you to continue with caution (you should).

2. One the information loads, scroll down the list. You are looking for four entries:

network.protocol-handler.app.magnet
network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet
network.protocol-handler.external.magnet
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.magnet

If they don't exist, you'll have to create them one-by-one; if they do exist, set them to the following values. To create them, control-click in the window and select:

New --> Boolean --> Name: network.protocol-handler.external.magnet --> Value: true
New --> Boolean --> Name: network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet --> Value: false
New --> Boolean --> Name: network.protocol-handler.warn-external.magnet --> Value: false
New --> String --> Name: network.protocol-handler.app.magnet --> Value: usr/bin/azureus

(If they already exist, then control-click and "Toggle" or "Modify"). The key for me was not to try to link to the GUI location of the app (/Applications/Azureus/Azureus.app), but rather the system level application, which is why I say this should have worked under 10.3.9.

FYI, I also have in the same list:

network.protocol-handler.expose-all --> Boolean --> Value: true.

Not sure if that's necessary, but once again ... works for me.

3. That should do the trick. You might have to Quit Firefox and relaunch, but after I configured it with those settings, magnet links worked again. I was slightly unstable and sometimes Azureus/Vuze would crash after a link, but relaunching seemed to solve the problem.

Good luck.
jekianth

Posted: Sep 12, 2012 11:26 PM   in response to: tinker in response to: tinker
Click to report abuse...
Hi Tinker,
As per the suggestions you received "A prior post said to try Options -> Interface -> Reset File Associations, but I couldn't find any "Reset File Associations" under that tab, or anything that looked vaguely related."

There is no such options in V4.7.1.2
If you want to make vuze ur default downloader then follow the steps.
1) Open Firefox - Tools
2) Click Application Tabs. It will show content type & application to be associated
3) Search for Magnets (below content type list).
4) Besides magnet ( u will see frostwire in application side). Click on Frostwire & you will get a drop down box. Selecy always ask or Vuze or any other Torrent downloader & click ok.
That's it.
laurala92

Posted: Dec 4, 2012 6:47 PM   in response to: kdean in response to: kdean
Click to report abuse...
Thank-you!! This completely solved my issue. :) Much appreciated!
tmb092

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 2:48 AM   in response to: tinker in response to: tinker
Click to report abuse...
Hi there,
I see this is an old thread but I have another solution, to set a certain program to open any type of internet file - on windows - is done as follows......

control panel > programs > default programs > associate a file type or protocol with a program.

you will see a list of all file types including torrent & magnet, you simply double click on the one you want to change, or highlight then click 'change program'

it's all basic follow the prompts so shouldn't have any problems with it :)
elgrayso

Posted: Jun 15, 2013 11:41 PM   in response to: jekianth in response to: jekianth
Click to report abuse...
and how do i change this on chrome....? it keeps opening uTorrent automatically and i'd rather not delete uTorrent
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums