Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: HELP! How do I remove the Vuze firefox toolbar without opening Firefox?

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Aug 16, 2010 5:44 PM Last Post By: aellish
wakey75

HELP! How do I remove the Vuze firefox toolbar without opening Firefox?
Posted: Jul 5, 2010 3:12 AM

Click to report abuse...
I downloaded and installed Vuze and the firefox toolbar on my mac, now when I now try to open Firefox it opens for a brief second before closing down and saying "Sorry firefox has unexpectedly quite, send a report etc".

This happens every time and I now cannot use Firefox.

I have tried removing both Firefox and Vuze and reinstalling them.

Even without Vuze being installed Firefox will now not open.

How do I remove the Vuze toolbar without opening Firefox?

Will this rectify the problem?

Thanks
wakey75

Re: HELP! How do I remove the Vuze firefox toolbar without opening Firefox?
Posted: Jul 5, 2010 3:27 AM   in response to: wakey75 in response to: wakey75

Click to report abuse...
This is the dialog from the Firefox crash report:

Add-ons: searchimdb@sogame.cat:1.2.0,{3112ca9c-de6d-4884-a869-9855de68056c}:7.1.20100408Mb1,en-GB- at -dictionaries- dot -addons- dot -mozilla- dot -org:1.19,{ba14329e-9550-4989-b3f2-9732e92d17cc}:2.7.1.3,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.6.6
BuildID: 20100625223402
CrashTime: 1278325587
EMCheckCompatibility: true
Email:
FramePoisonBase: 00000000f0dea000
FramePoisonSize: 4096
InstallTime: 1278243929
ProductName: Firefox
ReleaseChannel: release
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 11
StartupTime: 1278325584
Theme: classic/1.0
Throttleable: 1
URL: about:sessionrestore
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 3.6.6

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.
wakey75

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 3:35 PM   in response to: wakey75 in response to: wakey75

Click to report abuse...
Using Vuze is not the problem. Firefox not opening since I installed the Vuzer toolbar is the problem.
greenriva

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 12:14 PM   in response to: wakey75 in response to: wakey75

Click to report abuse...
I see that nobody has bothered to reply to you for nearly two months. Which doesn't give me much faith about describing a similar problem, but I will give it a go. Firstly I did not want a vuze toolbar in my browser, so I avoided updating vuze for ages and ages because there did not seem to be a way to install the update without letting the toolbar install into firefox. It was one of these 'Tick here to except the terms and conditions *and install the vuze toolbar*' efforts. Which, is kinda lame to begin with, but eventually I thought 'I'll just update vuze and remove the toolbar from firefox manually' (on my time).
When it first installed into Firefox it looked exactly how I had feared, adding a piece of clunky, frankly useless functionality to my browser skyline. I noticed too, that not only had this vuze addon been installed, but it had also overridden my chosen search engine in both the mini search field, and the main URL search field of firefox, pretty cheeky thing to do without asking don't you think? Yes I think so too. OK so what do we do about it? Firstly uninstalling an addon is quite simple in firefox, you just go tools/add-ons and uninstall what's bothering you from the list. Done. But wait, both my url search field and mini search field are still using the 'vuze search engine - powered by google'. Changing the mini search field is a breeze, simply left click the icon prefixing the search field and select the search engine you want to use in that field. Nice.

And this is my problem, the URL field, I cannot see anywhere to change that back to google, and this VUZE SEARCH POWERED BY GOOGLE, well... when I said before that it was useless functionality, perhaps it's best that I clarify, it's not entirely useless, it does work, if by working you mean, not as accurate as a google search and compromised by 100% more sponsored links. So basically not something you would want to use, ever; if the alternative is accurate and uncluttered search!. So it's deceptive, it claims to be 'powered by google' but throws in a ton of extra advertising. So not only is it such a rubbish search engine, that you would be ashamed when your friends came round and they saw you using it but you can also not remove it. It's like a COLD SORE, just when you think it's gone, its not really. So in case I haven't expressed my loathing of the vuze toolbar and it's parasitic-like functionality in colourfull enough language, I have enclosed two screen shots of an identical search. Notice how the one works and the other is like a wounded animal waiting to be put out of it's mysery.
aellish

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 5:44 PM   in response to: wakey75 in response to: wakey75

Click to report abuse...
You can reset the firefox URL search back to normal by following the instructions in this link:

http://www.lajag.com/firefox-search-repair/107/

It gets rid of the Vuze powered Search and restores it back to original firefox functioning.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums