Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Remove customized web search

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jun 13, 2012 4:55 PM Last Post By: benway
EndlessSummer

Remove customized web search
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 6:01 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hi,

I am trying to remove the Vuze customized web search from FF3 on a macbook and frustratingly it won't go away. I have followed various instructions from this site and others and removed/deleted/uninstalled everything Vuze but still it persists. When I open the tools drop-down and select add-ons and then open up extentions, it is empty... no mention of Vuze so I am unable to remove what is not there (but is because I can see it).

I want it removed because I don't like what are often irrelevant sponsored links to be the first thing I see when I search. I have not yet found advice about this specific issue elsewhere and I hope someone in the community can help.

Many Thanks
EndlessSummer

ps: and for the first time ever, I am receiving page load error messages... unheard of for this user.
pono650

Re: Remove customized web search
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 12:54 PM   in response to: EndlessSummer in response to: EndlessSummer

Click to report abuse...
Removing the toolbar is completely unrelated to uninstalling Vuze. What happens when you follow the instructions here: http://faq.vuze.com/?CategoryID=41 ?
tommcg6382

Posted: Apr 3, 2009 6:08 AM   in response to: pono650 in response to: pono650

Click to report abuse...
I'm having the same problem. I installed Vuze on a macbook pro and now my firefox puts "sponsored results" at the top of the page whenever I search for something. I run the uninstall through Tools/Add Ons and it still says "vuze customized web search" in my search bar. I uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it and it still does the same thing.

I have a feeling your company has done something potentially illegal to my machine. Prove me wrong and tell me how to remove this step by step. If you can't do that it's obvious that you've accessed my computer and are doing something to effect my machine on your end.
justanotheruser

Posted: Apr 3, 2009 6:32 AM   in response to: tommcg6382 in response to: tommcg6382

Click to report abuse...
Taking that tone certainly isn't going to help your cause. While I can understand that you find it frustrating, throwing accusations around isn't going to encourage anybody to assist. Try asking nicely.

Oh, and have you considered that uninstalling and re-installing Firefox probably didn't remove the configuration?
nolar

Posted: Apr 6, 2009 2:53 PM   in response to: EndlessSummer in response to: EndlessSummer

Click to report abuse...
The firefox toolbar plugin gets installed to the standard location:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile id>/extensions/{974c81d1-2bc4-4437-af71-588d6e350ed0}/

Deleting that folder will remove the plugin.

You can reset your default homepage in the usual firefox preferences, and default search provider by clicking the down arrow in the search bar and selecting Manage Search Engines...
boziboy

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 10:20 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar

Click to report abuse...
Dude, I've been to 4 sites that all say the same thing you just said. Yet, while this does remove the toolbar from firefox, it will not remove the conduit files that are installed on firefox. I have the same problem, I used to be able to just type "nba" or "Yahoo" and firefox would insert the ".com" portion. That does not happen now even after I have uninstalled the toolbar and vuse itself. Please help us fix this, this really sucks because no matter what i do nothing works.
boziboy

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 10:20 PM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar

Click to report abuse...
Tried deleting this accidental double post but it would not work.

Edited by: boziboy on Jul 25, 2009 10:21 PM
Washii

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 10:38 PM   in response to: boziboy in response to: boziboy

Click to report abuse...
Well, then I'll try to go get him. However, he would be one of the ones to know, since he's a staff developer.

Do you not have any other extensions installed to rule out?
teun

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 4:28 PM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii

Click to report abuse...
The conduit file is located here:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile id>/searchplugins/conduit.xml

Delete it, restart firefox and the search option is gone.

To the Vuze developers:

Please consider making it real clear that the eula you agree is for some extra toolbar, because it really feels like the eula for vuze.
If this was done on purpose, then it really undermines the trustworthyness (sp?) of your operation. I now have the bad taste of ad/spyware in my mouth rather than being happy with the new program I just installed (and consider uninstalling real soon, since I don't know what else was installed as well... Time machine will tell me soon.)
If not, then sorry for the harsh words.

Edited by: teun on Aug 16, 2009 4:39 PM - adjusted the facts after double checking install procedure.

wilko81

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 2:22 PM   in response to: teun in response to: teun

Click to report abuse...
Hi

In reference to your comments above can i ask a stupid question?

I would like to remove the conduit file but can't find the 'users' file you indicate that it is located in. Should i be looking in the Vuze application or the Firefox application? Can you give me some guidance in finding this file.

Thank you

Wilko81
Washii

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 8:33 PM   in response to: wilko81 in response to: wilko81

Click to report abuse...
You're on a Mac and you can't find /Users?

What if you open up the Finder and just enter '/User' into the address bar?
wilko81

Posted: Sep 1, 2009 8:15 AM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii

Click to report abuse...
That's great, thanks for your help.

Wilko
Derek

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 9:47 AM   in response to: wilko81 in response to: wilko81

Click to report abuse...
now how about telling me how to remove it on a PC? and just so you know, I think you guys suck for putting such a stupid thing on here in the first place without even asking me if I want it here, and then making it impossible to remove.
mmore1q3

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 10:23 AM   in response to: Derek in response to: Derek

Click to report abuse...
Check that in the browser's search box (on top right corner), the search provider is Google or Live search or whatever "normal" one.

Read e.g.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/searchguide/en-en/default.mspx
http://www.technipages.com/firefox-change-address-bar-search-provider.html
gormo01

Posted: May 20, 2010 10:06 PM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
justanotheruser how about you watch your tone mate. people are coming here to get help from people not a bunch of arrogance.

i believe i've found out how to get rid of it for good if you're a firefox user. and i also believe it was installed on the sly (EVIDENCE below).

FIREFOX USERS:
type "about:config" into your URL bar
you will probably get a warning not to mess with things, this is normal.
there is a filter bar at the top of a long list. type "keyword.URL" into the filter bar.
there are four columns: "Preference Name" / "Status" / "Type" / "Value"

"Value" will be set to something with conduit written in it along with the number CT2504091.
you need to right-click the entry in the "Value" column and choose modify
select all of the text in the box and overwrite it with http://www.google.com/search?&q= instead

EVIDENCE:
when you open "about:config" for the first time after installing the new version of VUZE, the list contains no less than 74
new entries all containing or relating to CT2504091 or conduit. (the number seems to be their code-name for conduit, as
the number also appears in "Application Support" in relation to conduit.

Additionally, for me, the 21st entry in the new CT2504091 entries is one as follows:

Preference Name Status Type Value
CT2504091.InstallationType user set string UnknownIntegration

to me this shows two main things: one, the status being "user set" implies that the user (you) had some say in the integration;
and; two, that VUZE surreptitiously "integrates" conduit into your browser, which is both bad practice and exceptionally frustrating.

jtgturner047

Posted: Oct 23, 2010 8:33 AM   in response to: EndlessSummer in response to: EndlessSummer

Click to report abuse...
All my searches from vuze pop up in web search Like when i use google how do i make it back to the original vuze format??
I cant get anything
And i am not referring to the toolbar , actually searching with vuze to download music.-for example britney spears.
It takes me to google in the vuze downloader not torrents.

britney spears filetype:torrent

Edited by: jtgturner047 on Oct 23, 2010 8:34 AM
iangrant

Posted: Oct 23, 2010 6:19 PM   in response to: jtgturner047 in response to: jtgturner047

Click to report abuse...
I added some details about adding search templates to vuze here: http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=230797&#230797
guest9999

Posted: Oct 25, 2010 3:33 PM   in response to: EndlessSummer in response to: EndlessSummer

Click to report abuse...
melliemel

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 9:46 PM   in response to: gormo01 in response to: gormo01

Click to report abuse...
Thank you so much gormo01! This was driving me crazy. I even uninstalled Vuze, removed any files I could find. Followed the other suggestions above. Yours is the only solution that worked.
simy202

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 6:53 PM   in response to: EndlessSummer in response to: EndlessSummer

Click to report abuse...
I'm having the same problem. I installed Vuze on a macbook pro and now my firefox puts "sponsored results" at the top of the page whenever I search for something. I run the uninstall through Tools/Add Ons and it still says "vuze customized web search" in my search bar. I uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it and it still does the same thing.

Moreover Once I search for PHP, it matches filename.php on my site rather than something written in PHP, anyone can recommend me a good internal site search engine to solve my problem. PHP web search scripts is everywhere, but it is really hard for me to find the one to solove my proble.
justanotheruser

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 11:41 PM   in response to: simy202 in response to: simy202

Click to report abuse...
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox

Try moving that folder and see if you still have the extension present. My guess is you won't. You can then try copying all the files except the ones associated with extensions and see if that still works (but giving you back your bookmarks etc).
gazza-911

Posted: Jan 7, 2011 1:30 PM   in response to: EndlessSummer in response to: EndlessSummer

Click to report abuse...
Let me just say this: It is the conduit system itself that is doing this, not the Vuze toolbar (Even though Vuze icon appears on a new tab, conduit uses its' icon). Any toolbar that is created with conduit (almost all toolbars are) installs the conduit system on the user's computers, regardless of whether Vuze or the user wants it to. Now, to get rid of the conduit system (without getting rid of Vuze toolbar) | delete conduit/conduit engine from your program files (not vuze toolbar), go to (your user)/AppData/LocalLow and delete the files named Conduit/conduit engine. And then when you open a new tab, at the right there is a close button, that will stop it from appearing. (If you don't delete the files, it often keeps reappearing)

P.S, app data will only be shown if you have the 'show hidden folders' option ticked in windows explorer

Edited by: gazza-911 on 07-Jan-2011 13:32
blakean

This worked for me...
Posted: Dec 22, 2011 1:39 PM   in response to: gazza-911 in response to: gazza-911

Click to report abuse...
Seriously, go here: http://www.technipages.com/firefox-change-address-bar-search-provider.html

The guy deserves traffic love for steering me to a simple about:config solution in FF after wasting a solid hour on trying to get rid of conduit's search hijack.
benway

Posted: Jun 13, 2012 4:51 PM   in response to: EndlessSummer in response to: EndlessSummer

Click to report abuse...
Thank you SO MUCH, teun !
You are a lifesaver.

I have literally spent HOURS, at least 2, trying to figure this out.

What annoyed me most was it hijacked my address bar.

I even went into about:config and individually reset all the entries marked "conduit" back to default (since they cannot all be selected at once / simultaneously).
I didn't delete anything since I have no idea which of those hundred-or-so entries might related to important firefox operating files.

...and I of changed the keyword.url back to the default google search.....

ALL TO NO SUCCESS.

Your one-step process has worked perfectly.

Thank you.

Dear Vuze developers :
You make perhaps my favourite application,
but you are soiling it and dirtying it with this.

It has left a bad taste in my mouth also.

I might have even given vuze-conduit a chance at some point ,
since it probably earns revenue for vuze, which I totally support ... IF it didn't make itself so impossibly hard to delete / remove / modify.

Thank you again for the best program of it's kind.

Edited by: benway on Jun 13, 2012 4:54 PM
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)