Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: DOWNLOADING TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE -Problems!!

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jul 19, 2010 5:13 AM Last Post By: mac10411
kd_mackie

DOWNLOADING TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE -Problems!!
Posted: Feb 14, 2010 1:07 PM

Click to report abuse...
Hey , I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this problem . I have recently purchased an external hard drive and would like to download my files through Vuze straight onto it . I have went to tools > options > files and changed the directory to my e: drive which is where my hard drive is attached . When I commence a download a folder is created on the hard drive for it but the actual download does not progress from 0.0 and it says 'allocating' . I have tried leaving the download for 30 minutes but it still does not begin . When I am downloading through VUZE straight to my laptops built in hard drive I have no download problems at all . If anyone has experience of this or is able to offer a solution it would be much appreciated.
nemesis53

Re: DOWNLOADING TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE -Problems!!
Posted: Feb 14, 2010 2:13 PM   in response to: kd_mackie in response to: kd_mackie

Click to report abuse...
Usually ext-drives comes with FAT32 file system. If you are trying to download something includes bigger that 4 gb single files this problem will occur. Try to format your ext-drive with NTFS file system.
mmore1q3

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 2:27 PM   in response to: nemesis53 in response to: nemesis53

Click to report abuse...
slug3266

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 2:01 PM   in response to: nemesis53 in response to: nemesis53

Click to report abuse...
I am having the same problem, my external drive is NTSF already. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug
DOC-WHO

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 4:19 PM   in response to: slug3266 in response to: slug3266

Click to report abuse...
External HDD Tips:

• Defrag often
  • Keep the Unit Cool, external Units are nearly always un-vented and heat up with lots of Use.
  • 'Delayed Write Failure' Errors can be common, tried all the remedies, non will work on 'cheap' external units.
Adrian59

Posted: Mar 10, 2010 5:51 PM   in response to: nemesis53 in response to: nemesis53

Click to report abuse...
Hello
I have a Verbatim 320Gb external usb drive. Brand new. Current format FAT32 according to the properties list. Am downloading a 1.36Gb file without problem. However, #2 in the download list is a 900Mb file which is stuck on 'allocating' under the status heading. #3 and #4 are very large 30Gb and 60Gb downloads but both of these don't contain any files larger than 800Mb. #3 and #4 are also stuck on allocating.
When checking the external drive, file space has been allocated to #2 and each of the individual files in #3 and #4.
I can't understand why these files won't start to download. Could it be to do with temporary download files of some type or the USB only feeding one file at a time. I am guessing and would appreciate any help to resolve this.
Many Thanks
Washii

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 2:38 AM   in response to: Adrian59 in response to: Adrian59

Click to report abuse...
You might try stopping and Force Rechecking each torrent (right-click -> Stop or Force Recheck)
Adrian59

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 3:25 AM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii

Click to report abuse...
PROBLRM SOLVED????????????

Actions I took.

• delete all outstanding torrents and stopped all other actions ie transfers to psp
  • closedown Vuze and restart pc
  • check external drive and delete any files created by the non working torrents.
  • open vuze
  • select - tools-options-files
  • check box next to 'Allocating files set size to zero'
  • click on Apply and then exit

I then downloaded the torrent for 'Star Trek Voyager S01 - S07 complete' (58.5 Gb) from Kickass torrents. The status monitor went to Allocating. Instead of remaining at 0.0% the percentage completed slowly increased. EUREKA????

Granted the time to get to 100% was very very long ie a couple of hours but I presume this was due to the extremely large file size.

Hopefully this is of help.
mac10411

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 5:13 AM   in response to: Adrian59 in response to: Adrian59

Click to report abuse...
THANKS Adrian59

You Save My Life, for another similar problem, but différent.
When I started a big file dl on external drive, formatted in Mac HFS+, it was always resetted to zero when I restarted Vuze... it was doing the same when I do a re-check of the file.
I have tried to find a solution for years...

so I check "Allocating file set size to zero", it take some time to allocate it, but now it works !!!!

This should be put in the Wiki, because is was the same "bug" on any vuze version i tried...
my Dl was 51 Go. Thanks a lot a lot a lot ;-)
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums