Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Private Torrents?

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jan 27, 2010 10:34 AM Last Post By: mmore1q3
jtopping

Private Torrents?
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 6:49 AM
Click to report abuse...
Hi all,

ive been using azureus for a while and somehow updated to VUZE and now im completely lost. I do a lot of downloading of torrents from live music sites and legit sharing sites. I am very conscious of my sharing ratio. I like to try to share more than i take. This new VUZE software doesnt seem to want to allow me to share now. When i go to my tracker and click on a torrent, i hit SHARE and i get the following message "the selected torrent is marked as a Private Torrent. You can not share private torrents."

Any idea of whats going on here? And is this a firewall issue now?

Thanks. Sorry for the lack of knowledge here.

Jeff
mmore1q3

Re: Private Torrents?
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 7:20 AM   in response to: jtopping in response to: jtopping
Click to report abuse...
When i go to my tracker and click on a torrent, i hit SHARE and i get the following message "the selected torrent is marked as a Private Torrent. You can not share private torrents."

Any idea of whats going on here? And is this a firewall issue now?

It means that you are trying to "publicly" share a torrent, which you have obtained from a private torrent site, which has marked it private. You should continue uploading the material by using the original tracker of the torrent site, not to include the torrent in your own personal tracker.

In general, you should not add torrents got from other places to your own tracker, instead you should just continue seeding them using the orignal tracker (of the torrent site, or TBP, or whatever).

"Sharing" using your own tracker is more meant for sharing material originated by you.
jtopping

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 8:08 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3
Click to report abuse...
ah, i think i understand now. SHARING means opening up to a larger group than those on the tracker site im downloading from?

So if i leave all as is, they should still be uploading? right now im getting NO indication of upload progress. thats what made me worry.

thanks for the help.
mmore1q3

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 8:36 AM   in response to: jtopping in response to: jtopping
Click to report abuse...
Have you read about the queue system? You should not have too many torrents active at the same time...

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Torrents_queued

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/UG_Options#Queue_options

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Good_settings
jtopping

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 9:10 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3
Click to report abuse...
one more question. i just uploaded a new torrent to a tracker. It said success and i had to download a personal tracker before i begin seeding. Do i replace the one i made (uploaded)? i didnt. i just put it in a folder and dragged it to my vuse application. I appeared in the top window frame where downloading torrents start out, and the health icon is red. is that because nobody is seeding yet, or because theres a problem with its location on my hard drive?

thanks
jeff
mmore1q3

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 9:56 AM   in response to: jtopping in response to: jtopping
Click to report abuse...
i just uploaded a new torrent to a tracker. It said success and i had to download a personal tracker before i begin seeding. Do i replace the one i made (uploaded)? i didnt.
Most likely you meant "personal torrent" (not tracker)

If you upload a newly created torrent to a private tracker, then you most likely should remove the created torrent from Vuze and use a new torrent downloaded from tracker for the seeding (not the original one). The reason is that private trackers "personalize" the torrents for each user, and can track that way your upload/download ratio.
jtopping

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 10:04 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3
Click to report abuse...
ok. thats what i did just to be sure. tossed the old one made by vuze and used the personal one to seed. I did get a yellow smiley, and 3 peers right after, and im hoping its seeding. Shouldnt it be in the bottom frame now? the uploading frame?
mmore1q3

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 10:34 AM   in response to: jtopping in response to: jtopping
Click to report abuse...
Shouldnt it be in the bottom frame now? the uploading frame?
It should.
Might be that you should open the torrent with File / Open from inside Vuze, and point Vuze to the correct file.

Read http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Seed_an_existing_file
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)