Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Question about seeding.

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 23, 2012 9:35 AM Last Post By: lukewatson1
iTheBadGuy

Question about seeding.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 1:21 AM

Click to report abuse...
My connection is horrible, with only 128kbps of upload, so i can only have 2 active torrents. When i place 6 torrents to download only one downloads.. then after that one is completed, the completed one goes into seed mode, a second torrent begins to download. This is good, it's what i want. But when the second torrent finishes downloading this one also goes into seed mode. Now i have 2 active torrents (only seeding), this means no torrent will start downloading until i stop one or both of the torrents which are seeding.

My question is; Can i make the completed torrents queue seeding if there are downloads in queue?.

Or better yet, can i make the completed torrent NOT seed automatically?. I do not want to have to wake up in the middle of the night to stop one seeding torrent so another queued download torrent can start. When i leave 6 torrents downloading i expect at least 3 to be finished, they're about 300MB's each.. My download speed is of 600kbps.

In uTorrent if there are queued downloads, seeds will go into queue mode automatically until the downloading torrents finished downloading by default. I can't seem to find settings under the queue section to stop automatic seeding..

Oh, before i forget, i'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and the lattes Vuze for it i believe..

Thanks in advance..
mmore1q3

Re: Question about seeding.
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 2:56 AM   in response to: iTheBadGuy in response to: iTheBadGuy

Click to report abuse...
Familiarize yourself with Vuze's queue system and options:
http://wiki.vuze.com/index.php/UG_Options#Queue_options

The priority order of torrents is: First priority seeding, download, seeding.

Please note that as the First priority status overrides the Seeding rank, the First priority torrents have been started despite their low Seeding rank.

I think that you should be able to configure Vuze to have at least 1 download active always despite the high priority seeding files:
Max simultaneous downloads: 2
Max active torrents: 2
Min simultaneous downloads: 1
iTheBadGuy

Posted: Oct 6, 2009 12:47 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
So if i disable the option "Automatically reposition torrents based on seeding rank", will it make seeding manual?. After a torrent finishes downloading, it will go into "Seeding queued" so the rest of the downloads that are queued can continue downloading?.

EDIT: I just noticed that's disabled on my Vuze..

Can someone just tell me how, if possible, to do exactly what i want?; for completed torrents to NOT go into seeding mode automatically, so i can set them to seed when i want to or when all downloads are complete.

Edited by: iTheBadGuy on Oct 6, 2009 12:49 PM
mmore1q3

Posted: Oct 6, 2009 1:09 PM   in response to: iTheBadGuy in response to: iTheBadGuy
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
Can someone just tell me how, if possible, to do exactly what i want?; for completed torrents to NOT go into seeding mode automatically, so i can set them to seed when i want to or when all downloads are complete.
You have to manually stop them.

Vuze is built for sharing, not just for downloading. When downloading, you are always downloading it from other users like youself. Thatswhy Vuze enters all finished downloads automatically to the seeding queue, and the minimum share ratio where queue system can stop torrents, is 1.0. So, you can configure Vuze to stop torrents after you have uploaded the torrent as much as you have downloaded it...
iTheBadGuy

Posted: Oct 6, 2009 5:35 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
Yes, i know it's built for sharing, But why can't i decide to "share" when i want to (when all of my downloads are complete, that's when they should start seeding.)

Otherwise, when 2 torrents complete, i can't download anymore torrents until these are stopped (after completion it starts seeding, 2 max active torrents.) My connections speed is of 600kbps/128kbps. For some reason while seeding my torrents lose speed, from 65KB/s to about 23KB/s. The max i can upload (to get good download speed) is 9KB/s. It takes me about 3 hours to download a 400MB file at full speed, how long do you think it will take to upload the same MB's @ 9KB/s(max)? So i have to wait over 3 hours, 6 if there are 2 seeding/uploading so the third torrent will start downloading?. doesn't make any sense to me dude, even tho it uploads while downloading, my connection is to slow to upload the same amount that i downloaded in a short period of time.

Let me explain my frustration a bit better.

When i go to sleep, i leave some torrents downloading so when i wake up in the morning i can watch/play/install them right? ok. But if i'm downloading 6 torrents, and 2 of them finish a 12:00AM the rest of the 4 torrents won't download, so for 8 hours (i wake up around 8:00AM) all it does is seed until when i wake up and stop the 2 seeding ones.

All i want is for the torrent that finishes downloading to go into queue seed mode while the rest of my downloads finish. I will then seed all day, because i won't be downloading anything. Is this possible? just answer Yes or No. If Yes, then please tell me exactly how to do it. If no then just say it..

If the only way is manually stopping them, then it sucks hard, because this means i have to wake up in the middle of the night to check on my torrents?, ffs.

Edited by: iTheBadGuy on Oct 6, 2009 5:36 PM

Edited by: iTheBadGuy on Oct 6, 2009 5:41 PM
mmore1q3

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 12:23 PM   in response to: iTheBadGuy in response to: iTheBadGuy

Click to report abuse...
Is this possible? just answer Yes or No. If Yes, then please tell me exactly how to do it. If no then just say it..
The answer is "No".
Like I already said: You have to manually stop them.

But it looks like you didn't read my advice in the first message:
I think that you should be able to configure Vuze to have at least 1 download active always despite the high priority seeding files:
Max simultaneous downloads: 2
Max active torrents: 2
Min simultaneous downloads: 1

This would enable always at least 1 downloading torrent.
Kusherian

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 12:29 PM   in response to: iTheBadGuy in response to: iTheBadGuy

Click to report abuse...
Listen. You cannot use VUZE if you don't want to share. The rule is, you have to share at the time that you are downloading material. I know you want to control that but maybe you need to find another torrent app that will give you that option. The least that is required is that when you are downloading a file, that SAME file will be available for seeding even before the download is complete. As for your other downloaded content, you can control those. We suggest you allow seeding of all your content. This will make your download speed increase exponentially. Keep it real.
jpboyrox

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 9:54 AM   in response to: iTheBadGuy in response to: iTheBadGuy

Click to report abuse...
Do what I do - set 'Up Limit' to '1' until you want to seed something. Please tell me if that is stupid or not, I have no idea - total n00b
bronnie

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 4:09 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
Thanks very much....this was REALLY helpful in even though had a number in queue at least they all downloaded overnight, ie. with one seeding, whilst the other downloading...TERRIFIC. :x
lukewatson1

Posted: Apr 23, 2012 9:35 AM   in response to: iTheBadGuy in response to: iTheBadGuy

Click to report abuse...
Very useful discussion thanks for sharing friends..

Magento Templates ~ Magento Themes

Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)