Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: Slow torrent speeds, Port Forwarding Doesn't Help.

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Aug 28, 2009 1:16 PM Last Post By: lawlerskatez
lawlerskatez

Slow torrent speeds, Port Forwarding Doesn't Help.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 10:35 AM

Click to report abuse...
I've had this problem for so long now. I get slow speeds on all torrents i try to download. I never get more than 5kbps but when i go to my friends house with my computer the exact same torrent will get around 70kbps. I've tried port forwarding I'm pretty sure i did it right but theres a chance i screwed it up but i doubt it. I took a speed test and got a Download Speed of 5.3 mbps and an Upload Speed of 0.48 mbps. So i have no idea what the problem is maybe someone else can find the solution.
mmore1q3

Re: Slow torrent speeds, Port Forwarding Doesn't Help.
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 11:34 AM   in response to: lawlerskatez in response to: lawlerskatez

Click to report abuse...
I've tried port forwarding I'm pretty sure i did it right but theres a chance i screwed it up but i doubt it.
Do you get green smileys as torrents health? If yes, then you have portfowarding ok. If you only get yellows, then you have a firewall/portforward problem.

You might read section A of my Guide:
http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?threadID=78768

consider also that maybe you ISP throttles bittorrent?
Read http://wiki.vuze.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs
and consider encryption http://wiki.vuze.com/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping
lawlerskatez

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 6:10 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
I am getting a green smiley face but slow speeds. I went to your guide and didn't find anything helpful. I am now begining it has something to do with windows firewall. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Update: I downloaded utorrent and tried downloading the exact same torrent and got 300kbps but then within seconds i was down to the same speed as Vuze. That made this problem very confusing. PLZ help. I have no idea what to do. I cant go downloading torrents at bites per second

Edited by: lawlerskatez on Aug 27, 2009 6:39 PM
mmore1q3

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 11:30 PM   in response to: lawlerskatez in response to: lawlerskatez

Click to report abuse...
I am getting a green smiley face but slow speeds.
Good. Then the basic network settings and connectivity are ok.

I am now begining it has something to do with windows firewall.
I do not think so, as you get green smileys. Firewall would usually block connectivity, not reduce speed.

Update: I downloaded utorrent and tried downloading the exact same torrent and got 300kbps but then within seconds i was down to the same speed as Vuze. That made this problem very confusing.
My first guess is that maybe your ISP uses active bittorrent throttling firewall, which reacts to bittorrent traffic and then reduces your pipeline. You might try RC4 encryption. http://wiki.vuze.com/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping
lawlerskatez

Posted: Aug 28, 2009 1:16 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
Well somehow its fixed. I used the encryption method even thought my isp (Charter) isnt seen as a bad isp. The ecnryption didnt work immeadeatly so that might not be what fixed it but i am getting around 200kbps now. Thanks for the help.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums