Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: AZUREUS as Media server PS3/Mac OS X

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jun 12, 2009 1:04 PM Last Post By: jrs.reign
thsfour

AZUREUS as Media server PS3/Mac OS X
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 5:15 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hello,

I use Azureus on Mac OS 10.4.11 with a PS3 in my living room. I bought Medialink from http://www.nullriver.com in order to serve my media files to the PS3.
The results were o.k. but Medialink is not very reliable. To my surprise I found Azureus in the list of available media servers on my PS3 and so far it has been working great - it is fast and much more reliable than Medialink.
However, Azureus' UPNP server works only with (downloaded) files in the Azureus library.
Therefore my suggestion / feature request would be to implement a way of locally sharing media files by adding them to the Azureus library. That way Azureus could be used to not only serving downloaded files to
other devices on the network but as a full blown media server. On top of that if Azureus could manage to read iTunes playlists and offer them under the available music sub section that would be the icing on the cake.

Is this something that other users would find useful?
Is this already possible and I haven't figured it out yet? (if so please tell me)
ksalexander

Re: AZUREUS as Media server PS3/Mac OS X
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 8:47 AM   in response to: thsfour in response to: thsfour

Click to report abuse...
The PS3 supports DLNA, which is basically what the Az upnp media server uses. Because apple is a horrible company, Itunes doesn't support DLNA (probably because it competes with their other content distribution hardware) (geeze even microsoft is on the boat with DLNA).....(enough rant). What you need is a DLNA server for mac, here's a comparison of the available ones.

http://www.rbgrn.net/blog/2007/08/how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-software-in-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux.html

You'll probably want cyber media gate.
thsfour

Posted: Oct 31, 2008 9:10 AM   in response to: ksalexander in response to: ksalexander

Click to report abuse...
Thanks for your reply, ksalexander.
My point is that if Azureus already works great as a server with both, the PS3 and the Mac, wouldn't it be great if that functionality could be expanded by adding your music, video and picture libraries to the Azureus library.
Since Azureus/Vuze is already so much more than a bittorrent client I am sure it would further extend it's appeal as a serious, unique bit of software.

You're right about the Mac sucking with UPNP by the way - pretty shoking!
ksalexander

Posted: Nov 1, 2008 10:21 AM   in response to: thsfour in response to: thsfour

Click to report abuse...
I'll leave it to the devs to decide in the end. In my opinion that kind of feature goes beyond the scope of what Vuze is designed for. Above all else, it's a torrent client, not a media player or media organizer, those are added so that you can better interact with your torrents, IMHO.
paqur

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 9:54 AM   in response to: thsfour in response to: thsfour

Click to report abuse...
I'm running vista & I have the following functionality available to me... I assume mac can do it too?

You can add local media by dragging them to the seeding area of the 'My Library' window.
This will add them as a Classic Share which will be seen by the PS3...

You could also, go to the file menu & make a new torrent of the media you want to see.

I would love to see an option to arbitrarily select which files are shared using the media server!
My PS3 shows EVERY file in my Vuze library?!?

Also as you mentioned, the watched/ unwatched attribute would be nice to have in the 'My Library' window.

With your Mac OS X, does the VUZE HD network mkv format work on your PS3?

My PS3 shows the vuze network's mkv as unsupported data.. :(

Edited by: paqur on Jan 17, 2009 9:55 AM
Washii

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 3:43 PM   in response to: paqur in response to: paqur

Click to report abuse...
Are you saying that other MKVs are watchable on the PS3? As far as I know, the PS3 doesn't have a Matroska splitter to use the container file.
thsfour

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 3:35 PM   in response to: paqur in response to: paqur

Click to report abuse...
Classic share does not work very well - some folders never show up, irrespective of how many times I share them.
Also, Vuze only supports one level of folders so my hierarchy is lost and I get literally thousands of files in one big list.
I have since stopped using Vuze as a UpNP server and use the brilliant, new ps3server.blogspot.com instead.
For iTunes support I have finally found Apple Remote for the iPhone so I can get rid of the buggy medialink.
It's caused me grief with unbelievable entries into my console.log (ended up >35GB).

ps3server supports real time transcoding of files. This might include MKVs as well but I don't know out of the top of my head.
paqur

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:30 PM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii

Click to report abuse...
From the PS3 all VUZE files in my library show up. I do not know of a way to arbitrarily pick & choose what shows up on the ps3
The mkv's show up as unsupported data in the file list... :(
Washii

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:44 PM   in response to: paqur in response to: paqur

Click to report abuse...
Okay, that's what I thought.

I've heard good things about TVersity and I think it can transcode the MKV's to a PS3 supported format on-the-fly. I can't help you much more than that, however.
Fishbowler

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 9:44 AM   in response to: paqur in response to: paqur

Click to report abuse...
You could also use a plugin to transcode MKV files upon completion if you have no need for them to remain in MKV format.
It's a shame that the MKV format isn't being picked up more by the independent players (PS3, DVD manufacturers, etc) - it's an updated & superior version of the .avi container that's been around for years.
jrs.reign

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 3:01 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Classic allotment does not plan actual able-bodied - some folders never appearance up, irrespective of how abounding times I allotment them.

Also, Vuze alone supports one akin of folders so my bureaucracy is absent and I get actually bags of files in one big list.

I accept back chock-full application Vuze as a UpNP server and use the brilliant, new ps3server.blogspot.com instead.

For iTunes abutment I accept assuredly begin Apple Remote for the iPhone so I can get rid of the buggy medialink.

It's acquired me affliction with astonishing entries into my console.log (ended up >35GB).

Edited by: Washii on Jun 12, 2009 1:03 PM
Removed PBX link.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)