Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Forwarded port, still get port closed message

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Aug 29, 2009 9:16 AM Last Post By: paladin181
paladin181

Forwarded port, still get port closed message
Posted: May 24, 2009 9:06 AM

Click to report abuse...
I have chosen port 49325 to use for Vuze. I have an internal router and used it to forward the port as well with the external router pointing the port to the internal router firewall, and that one pointing it to my computer.It did not work. Since, I have disabled the firewall on my internal router. On my ActionTec (Verizon) Router, I have forwarded the 49325 port directly to my computer for both TCP and UDP (different subnet than the router itself). On my computer, I have allowed Azureus, and created custom port exception for 49325 in both TCP and UDP. However, when I run any connection test I still get port closed errors, and Vuze specifically still says "NAT Error - Connect attempt to 96.253.81.131:49325 (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed."

Upon research, I have changed to port to 30525, but the result is the same. Little yellow faces and slooow downloads.

Is there something I am doing wrong or can I not forward ports in this setup properly?

Operating System:
Windows Vista Business Edition SP1
Antivirus: Avira Antivir 9.0.0.394
Firewall: Windows Firewall

System info from Vuze:
Java 1.6.0_06
Sun Microsystems Inc.
SWT v3448, win32
Windows Vista v6.0, x86
V4.2.0.2 az3

Router: ActionTec MI424-WR REV E.
ISP: Verizon FiOS, wired conection

Internal Router: Dynex DX-NRUTER

Edited by: paladin181 on May 24, 2009 9:41 AM

mmore1q3

Re: Forwarded port, still get port closed message
Posted: May 24, 2009 1:03 PM   in response to: paladin181 in response to: paladin181
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
Sounds complicated. If you use several routers (including software routers) then you need to configure them carefully.
On my ActionTec (Verizon) Router, I have forwarded the 49325 port directly to my computer for both TCP and UDP (different subnet than the router itself).
Sounds bad (if there are still more routers in the routing chain before PC).

On my computer, I have allowed Azureus, and created custom port exception for 49325 in both TCP and UDP. However, when I run any connection test I still get port closed errors, and Vuze specifically still says "NAT Error - Connect attempt to 96.253.81.131:49325
Sounds good in principle.

You need to check each step inward starting with the device with the public IP 96.253.x.x, so that the port in use (30525? or 49325?) gets always forwarded to the next device inwards. And then that device will further forward it towards your PC. You can't "jump over" devices in the forwarding chain, as each NAT device creates a new internal private network for devices in its LAN side.

Sounds like you need to config forward from ActionTec to Dynex, and then from Dynex to PC.

You might read section A of my Guide, especially the "double router port forward" part.
http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?threadID=80454
paladin181

Posted: May 24, 2009 2:41 PM   in response to: paladin181 in response to: paladin181

Click to report abuse...
As a networking professional, this all makes a lot of sense to me, except when the devices don't perform as expected. :P

After following your advice, I returned to my original setup (which I believed to be correct anyway), where I re-enabled my Dynex Router's firewall and configured forwarding on all devices. On the ActionTec, that means port 30525 (TCP/UDP)is forwarded to the "external" interface of my Dynex router (192.168.1.xxx) and on my Dynex Router, port 30525 (TCP/UDP) is forwarded to my computer (192.168.2.xxx). My software firewall still has the proper exceptions for the TCP and UDP on port 30525 and Vuze as a program itself.

NAT/Port test still comes back as port is blocked ("NAT Error - Connect attempt to 96.253.81.xxx:30525 (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed.") and I still have yellow faces.
paladin181

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 9:16 AM   in response to: paladin181 in response to: paladin181

Click to report abuse...
3 months later I am still experiencing this problem. I have changed the port numbers, and I have tried different connection options. Today I revisited this problem as I would like to have better access to seed and download torrents. I'm hosting 3 that a friend of mine has verified are uploading at massive speeds from himself and other users, however, I'm sitting with a yellow goose egg. If anyone has found a way to solve this issue, as others seem to experience the same problem, PLEASE help me to understand why. I am a networking professional and by my experience the setup I have (port forwarding from the modem to the router, and the router to my computer, with open ports on the firewall in all cases) should allow traffic, however the Vuze port test still says
"Testing port 50125 ...
NAT Error - Connect attempt to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:50125 (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed."

What is going on here? Is there a common thread between all of us? Any feedback is much appreciated.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums