Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Checking write permissions and installation on OS X

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jan 16, 2011 8:17 AM Last Post By: Roosterman
justanotheruser

Checking write permissions and installation on OS X
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 2:42 AM
Click to report abuse...
Would it be possible to do the following?

1. For installation on OS X either supply Vuze as an app or use whatever system Apple use for installing programs. If installing applications from a standard user account the Vuze installer will fail due to lack of write permissions on /Applications. Currently the only solution I see is to shift the installer to a common area, log on as an administrator and install from there. If it is supplied as an app or uses whatever installer (is it pkg) Apple seems to supply then from a standard user account it would attempt to authenticate any administrator account and allow installation. My preference would be for as an app, which would require only a drag and drop.

2. Current Vuze checks for write permissions and will throw up a warning message. Could it be changed to check write permissions inside Vuze.app, at least for OS X? Any update should only require write privileges inside Vuze.app rather than the more general location of /Applications.

Cheers.
yetanotheruser

Re: Checking write permissions and installation on OS X
Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:16 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser
Click to report abuse...
I second this request. When installing/upgrading to Vuze 4.0.0.4 with my non-admin account, I get this error message:
"You have no write permissions for this directory. Please choose another one."

All other Mac software pops up an authentication window, when I'm trying to install as non-admin or don't have enough permissions. And after entering my admin password, the software gets installed. I wish this could behavior would be implemented in Vuze too!

Many thanks for the great program!
mmore1q3

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:55 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser
Click to report abuse...
Same also regarding Microsoft Windows, and especially Vista, where the directory permissions are more conservative than in XP and earlier.

I suggest tranferring the Windows install to using Microsoft installer and .MSI packages. (or .EXEs, if so wished)
Then there might be less trouble in Vista environment, as install permissions would work more nicely due to MS installer being the "trusted installer".

Ps.
And also the blame on possibly deleted OS files would lie elsewhere...
Bamejinn

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 10:56 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser
Click to report abuse...
For the OS X users, I have found a way to avoid this problem of permissions:

1) Check if the folder "Applications" exist in your home folder (your personal folder, where you can find the folders Desktop, Music, Movies, ... also known as ~/). If not, create it (write it the exactly like that, it's case sensitive : Applications )
2) Download Vuze
3) Launch the installer
4) Check the "Customize installation" and then "I agree", you should get an error message about permissions
5) In program directory, select the Applications folder in YOUR home directory
6) Run the installation

You can now use Vuze without any problem as a simple user, but you'll have to install it for every standard user.

Hope it helps!
nolar

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 4:04 PM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser
Click to report abuse...
I've looked into this problem a bit, and unfortunately it looks like we'd have to choose between always prompting for admin credentials (even if not really needed) or never :(
As most users have the proper privileges in the first place, we decided to detect the problem and offer the user another dir choice in the cases where they don't. I agree it's not ideal, but it would take some time to see if there's a better option from the above.
justanotheruser

Posted: Feb 19, 2009 8:55 AM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
Is there anything location specific created by the installer? I was wondering if those of us affected by the use of this installer will be able to drag and drop Vuze to Applications afterwards.

What will this do to the installation of the toolbar by the way?

I still wonder about making use of the installer system Apple seem to use. Sadly I have no experiencing developing for OS X so maybe it really is of no use. I only suggest it as, based on my experience as a user, it requests the appropriate authentication if required.
nolar

Posted: Feb 19, 2009 3:34 PM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser
Click to report abuse...
Nothing path specific, no. You can have the installer do its thing and install Vuze.app anywhere you like, then move it over to Applications afterward if you want. Toolbar is a firefox install path, so nothing to do with the Vuze.app one.
gandalf_t_gray

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 6:07 AM   in response to: nolar in response to: nolar
Click to report abuse...
Problem I've found is once moved to the /Applications folder, you then get a message that Vuze can't update because you don't have write permissions. I second the motion to request the password each time in the same way other apps do.

This is the only application that behaves this way on my Mac - seems an odd (and annoying) choice of install options.
claireb

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 2:16 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3
Click to report abuse...
Please I need help... I am not all that computer literate and it has taken me ages to actually reply to your message to get help.

I have paid for Vuze and the installer is saved on my desktop but when i go to open it, it says you have no write permissions. If i check the box and change the location it still does not accept anywhere and i am desperate to get this app working.

I hope you can help and if so please can you make give me advice in layman's terms...

thank you very much
justanotheruser

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 12:46 AM   in response to: claireb in response to: claireb
Click to report abuse...
Wow, you replied to a message that is over 3 years old. If a thread is that old you can probably create your own thread ;)

Okay two things.

1. You say you paid for Vuze. Do you mean you subscribed to Vuze Plus directly from either Vuze or vuze.com? If you didn't then there is a change you've been scammed as the basic vuze is free. http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Vuze_Is_Free.

2. To help you with your permissions issue we need to know at least what operating system you are using. Slightly more complicated based on your claimed abilities with computers is, is the account you use an administrator account?
Roosterman

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 8:17 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser
Click to report abuse...
After flawlessly installing (what seems like) dozens of these Vuze updates I am now getting this permissions issue.

According to the referenced Vuze wiki:

I+f you get an error indicating that, for example, "/Volumes/Azureus/Azureus.app/Contents/Resources/Java" isn't writable then you are running Azureus from the wrong location.+
You need to stop Azureus, move Azureus.app into "/Applications" and then restart it from that location.
You need to have administrators rights to write to the /Applications location.

But Vuze is where it has always been, in the Applications folder. So there is clearly something new going on here. As Administrator I have full r/w permissions.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums