Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Vuze doesn't start anymore on Mac OS X

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Oct 1, 2011 6:27 AM Last Post By: kdean
johnlocke2342

Vuze doesn't start anymore on Mac OS X
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:48 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hi!
I've been using Azureus, then Vuze 3 on my desktop PC for the past 2 years. Now I own a macbook running leopard 10.5.5 and upgraded Vuze 3 to Vuze 4.0. It worked well for about 2 weeks and since last week, the dock icon just jumps and never lauches. I tried re-installing from the installer, fixing permissions, it still doesn't work.
Any help?

Thanks
justanotheruser

Re: Vuze doesn't start anymore on Mac OS X
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 2:44 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
Look in Vuze is crashing. You should find the error log files in Users\ +user name here+\Library\Application Support\Vuze

If you're still having trouble attach the latest error log file here in your next post.
johnlocke2342

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 7:15 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
I didn't found the file needed, but I think this one is relevant.
It seems I have a Java issue. I've been searching all around the web for fixing Java on OS X, when I find something, it says my Java version is newer.
wedowee

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 11:24 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
I'm having the same crash problem as of this morning. It was working fine yesterday (and the year prior). The CrashReporter log shows a problem with Java also, just stating that different threads are crashing upon launching of the Azureus/Vuze. It's a Mac Pro tower running the latest version of Leopard. After crashing 4 times, I right-clicked the Application file and chose Show Package Contents. I expanded the window to show MacOS, then I opened the JavaApplicationStub file, which launched Vuze and another window (Terminal) showing all that was happening while Vuze was trying to launch. The program crashed, and here are the last couple of lines of Terminal (in quotes). Can anyone debug this? Thanks much.

"at com.aelitis.azureus.core.networkmanager.impl.tcp.TCPConnectionManager$5.runSupport(TCPConnectionManager.java:209)
at org.gudy.azureus2.core3.util.AEThread.run(AEThread.java:74)
Invalid memory access of location 00000000 eip=00416552
Bus error
logout

Process completed"

Java version 1.5.0_16
OS version - Leopard 10.5.5
Vuze version - 4.0.0.2 1 az3

Edited by: wedowee on Nov 13, 2008 11:46 AM

wedowee

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 11:57 AM   in response to: wedowee in response to: wedowee

Click to report abuse...
I've just reinstalled Vuze and it works okay for now. Thanks for reading.
johnlocke2342

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 3:55 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
I tried reinstalling many times, but I still have no result...
wedowee

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 7:21 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
I removed the app from the Applications folder first, then reinstalled. Part of my problem was that I moved several files that had downloaded while Vuze was still open, and it could not locate the new path of the files. Besides that, I had the Java error, but don't know how the reinstall fixed it. Good luck.
johnlocke2342

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 3:20 PM   in response to: wedowee in response to: wedowee

Click to report abuse...
that's what I did at least 10 times, but I think I have a Java problem on my system because I have another Java app that doesn't launch properly.
justanotheruser

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 2:20 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
You could try re-installing the latest Java on your machine and see if that helps. You can find Java for OSX here.

If it complains that you have it already installed you could try the following:

Enter /Library/Receipts and do a search for Java. The list, I think, will include a couple in the format of JavaForMacOSX10.5Release x .pkg. Assuming what I've linked you to above is the latest version then try moving the most up-to-date sounding on to another location and see if that allows you to perform a reinstall of Java.
johnlocke2342

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 1:02 PM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
Thanks for the Java for 10.5 link, I've been searching all around the web without no results.
However, it didn't work nor complained for the update being already installed.
So, I reinstalled OS X this afternoon, then backed up my docs and settings from Time Machine, everything is fine now.
justanotheruser

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 1:36 PM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
Well I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted, but it's a shame that it required replacing OS X. I wonder what the cause was in the end...
johnlocke2342

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 1:50 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
I think it was the latest Java update because since I ran the apple software update after reinstalling, I'm having the same problem again.
johnlocke2342

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 1:51 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
Problem reappeared after system update.
justanotheruser

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 2:30 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
Jobs! shakes fist in air.

So it could be down to a faulty update. Certainly that would help explain why we've seen a few OS X users in here recently.

At this point you're probably best to set system updates to advise you that there is something new and to pick and choose what you load, at least until somebody can figure out why the latest update for Java from Apple is causing this.
wedowee

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 7:17 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
And my problem reappeared after a reboot. I'll troubleshoot it later tonite.
NimChimpsky

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 8:25 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
I've been using Azureus (Vuze) 3.1.1.0 under OS X 10.5.5 with no problems. It seems from this discussion that it's an interaction between Vuze 4 and the latest OS update that causes problems. I guess it's a good idea not to update to 4 at this time.

Edited by: NimChimpsky on Nov 16, 2008 8:26 AM
Orgill

Posted: Dec 5, 2008 6:37 AM   in response to: NimChimpsky in response to: NimChimpsky

Click to report abuse...
To force applications to use an older java version (without reinstalling os x)

Go -> Utilities -> Java -> (some people may have different folders here, go for the latest) -> Java Preferences. Where it says Java Application versions drag J2SE 1.4.2 to the top.

This worked for me, just waiting now for apple to update their update..
zsutomato

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 3:57 PM   in response to: Orgill in response to: Orgill

Click to report abuse...
I got the same problem, change back to JRE 1.4.2 and Vuze 4.0 start up again!
mistermartin75

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 3:45 AM   in response to: zsutomato in response to: zsutomato

Click to report abuse...
This solved it for me:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_for_Mac_OS_X_10_5_Update_2

Just download and install that, it solves all Apple java errors.
macdiesel

Posted: Feb 8, 2009 5:26 PM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
Is Vuze an SWT application? I'm pretty sure that it used to be but I'm unsure if it still is.

Anyhow, the OS X version of java 6 64 bit does not have the SWT bindings written for it yet, so any SWT applications do not start under java 6 64 bit. The fix for this is to go into your java prefs and change the JVM to java 5 and vuze will just start up just fine. The option is something like this: -vm c:/Java/jdk1.5.0_11/bin/javaw.exe (but obviously it would be the OS-X path)

Here is some more info on the problem:
http://www.damnhandy.com/2008/11/29/eclipse-on-mac-java-6-reveals-more-swt-shortcomings/

For what it's worth eclipse has a command line arg that you can add that will run eclipse under java 5 without having to switch the item over in prefs (this is handy as I have some java programs that I have to compile under java 6, but need to run anything with SWT bindings under java 5).

Mac
cyberqat

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 12:57 PM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
Yes, this is the SWT problem.

The solution is as follows:

(1)run Java Preferences
(2)Pull Java 5 above Java 6 in the lower (application) window
(3)Launch Azureus
(4)Pull Java 6 back above Java 5
(5)Exit Java Preferences

This will work for any Java 5 compatible SWT based app.
marcowww

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 4:55 PM   in response to: cyberqat in response to: cyberqat

Click to report abuse...
Hello Guys!!

it took me a couple of seconds.
open the file
/Applications/Vuze.app/Contents/Info.plist

look for this
<key>JVMVersion</key>

change this
<string>1.5+</string>
to this
<string>1.5</string>

It will tell the launcher to use UP TO java 5 and no further.

It works!! You can keep your java6 (i've waited so long for a new mac only to use java6 cos i really need it) in the pref pane, and vuze will use java5.

There still a minor issue though (sorry). In the order of the java preference you must put java 5 32 bit as second choice. That's because it seems not be possible specifying the TYPE of virtual machine (32 or 64 bits) but only the release.

Hope this helped!!

Ciaooo
Marco
PetShopGirl

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 2:35 AM   in response to: johnlocke2342 in response to: johnlocke2342

Click to report abuse...
I found all this stuff with Java a bit too complicated, and installed older version of Vuze (4.4), and Vuze launched again!
Found it on http://mac.oldapps.com/azureus.php?old_azureus=38
kdean

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 6:27 AM   in response to: PetShopGirl in response to: PetShopGirl

Click to report abuse...
Older versions can also be downloaded directly from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/files/vuze/

or even older ones at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/files/x_obsolete/
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts