Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: Speed & port problems with BT Home Hub

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM Last Post By: afunnyone
supertod

Speed & port problems with BT Home Hub
Posted: Sep 8, 2008 9:16 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hi

I am experiencing very slow download speeds (0 - 10 kB/s), and the NAT / Firewall Test says

"Testing port 57715 ...
NAT Error - Connect attempt to **.***.***.**:***** (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed."

I followed this guide Here, but nothing has changed.

I have kaspersky antivirus (Maybe thats blocking it) and I have clicked the 'Unblock' button when the windows firewall message pops up.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Fishbowler

Re: Speed & port problems with BT Home Hub
Posted: Sep 11, 2008 5:37 AM   in response to: supertod in response to: supertod

Click to report abuse...
Do you have Kapersky Antivirus or Kapersky Internet Security?
If it's the first one, it can't be the issue. If it's the second, then maybe.

In the meantime, use the information here to set yourself to Level 2 encryption settings.
supertod

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 8:10 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
I have Kaspersky Internet security 7

and when I put level 2 encyyption on, it does not speed up.
Fishbowler

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 9:06 AM   in response to: supertod in response to: supertod

Click to report abuse...
Internet Security has an inbuilt firewall - that could be causing your problems.
Having two firewalls running is always a bad idea - disable the Kapersky one and see if that helps. This will be done inside the application - you need to disable only the firewall, and nothing to do with the antivirus - I'd never recommend that.

If it does work, we'll know what the culprit is and can work towards configuring it properly and disabling the Windows one.
supertod

Posted: Sep 11, 2008 11:39 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Ah, kaspersky that sneaky little bugger, I did the test with the firewall off, and all was ok. How do I forward the ports in kaspersky? I thought i had untill now.

Thanks

EDIT: I managed to forward the ports and I get a green smiley face on Vuze. But I am still getting slow speeds.. Can I help that?

Edited by: supertod on 11-Sep-2008 12:54
Fishbowler

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 2:23 AM   in response to: supertod in response to: supertod

Click to report abuse...
Start by ensuring that the Windows Firewall is off - as I said, two firewalls can cause issues.
The second thing issue is BT - they're a known Bad ISP.
In my experience, they're one of the worst. They shape BitTorrent traffic and they throttle encrypted traffic. Level 2 is the best speeds you're likely to get, although some find that Level 1 serves them better.

Your best option is to switch ISP.

Personally, I'm with Sky and I think they're great. 250GB FUP and no shaping.
supertod

Posted: Sep 14, 2008 8:05 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
I have managed to get around 20-40 kB/s

On vuze it shows the amount of seeds and the amount of peers like this

Seeds
34(12)

Peers
68(56)

What do the numbers in the brackets mean?

And is there any way to speed it up?

Edited by: supertod on Sep 14, 2008 8:06 AM
Fishbowler

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 2:58 PM   in response to: supertod in response to: supertod

Click to report abuse...
The numbers inside the brackets is the number currently being reported by the tracker. The number outside the brackets is the number you're connected to.

If you've got a number outside the brackets higher than inside, then either the torrent has multiple trackers and you've picked up peers from one not in the "active" state (that's a supposition - you'll need a developer to confirm that), or you've got peers from the DHT (trackerless communications).

As for speed increases, I rarely got above 30KB/sec on BT. I switched to Sky - they're good.
afunnyone

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Sorry for intruding,

But is there any way, by contacting them, to solve the question with slowing torrent downloads? I just got the contract and cannot cancel for a year, and would really like to solve my issues, which are exactly the ones stated above by the other user.

Thanks!
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)