Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Getting Seeder/Leecher Amounts

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 12:12 PM Last Post By: The 8472
beast

Getting Seeder/Leecher Amounts
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 12:38 PM
Click to report abuse...
Hey,

im new here. Im using some code of azureus within my studies at my highschool. I wrote a little tool that should show how the bittorrent protocol works. Now im confused. I have a tracker which sends me an empty Scrape-reply and additionally have not these fields within the accounce reply :

1. complete: number of peers with the entire file, i.e. seeders (integer)
  2. incomplete: number of non-seeder peers, aka "leechers" (integer)

( taken from http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification )

I wonder how azureus now gets the amount for seeder/leechers ? I thought this should be sent by scrape or within the announce-reply. My assumption is, that azureus maybe fetched all the peers that are sent within the announce-reply and contacts the peers to see if they have all pieces (seeders) or not (leechers).

Is that correct ?

Thanks for your helpfull answers and greets,
oliver

The 8472

Re: Getting Seeder/Leecher Amounts
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 4:23 PM   in response to: beast in response to: beast
Click to report abuse...
if neither scrapes nor scrape-announces are available then the seed and peer count can be derived in various ways, mostly from the currently connected count or incoming-requests for the torrent
beast

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 12:43 AM   in response to: The 8472 in response to: The 8472
Click to report abuse...
are there documentations about these details ? Or do i have to go inside the code ? You know a good starting point ? ( Do you know where may i find the method that updates the seeder/leecher-number for the running torrent-task. Using "used by" would give me a good overview i think. )

But then again...i retrieve a list of peers within the accounce. These are all known peers, seeding/leeching as far as i know. right ?!
How does azuerus find out at the very beginning when a torrent starts, which of those are leechers/seeders ? I mean counting every incoming connection as leecher is correct, but at the beginning there wont be such incomings, but azureus still gives a number for seeder/leecher.

How does that works ? Is that information somehow encapsulated within the peer-list of the announce-reply ?

many thanks for your help...!!
oliver

The 8472

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 12:12 PM   in response to: beast in response to: beast
Click to report abuse...
of course there is no documentation, if we'd document such tiny, meaningless details we'd never get done coding :) I suggest you have a look at the startstoprules core plugin, it's a good starting point for everything queue related and makes heavy use of announce data too.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums