Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: Suddenly Azureus causes lost internet connection

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 33 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Nov 7, 2008 4:20 AM Last Post By: jinomz
coops

Suddenly Azureus causes lost internet connection
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 11:18 AM

Click to report abuse...
I've been using Azureus for a couple of years now with no issues. Suddenly, last Friday 28 March 2008, a couple of things are behaving odd:

• The RSS Feed Scanner plugin (version 1.3.4) seemed to lose download history and tried to download about 20 files.
  • Since that point, whenever I launch Azureus I lose internet connectivity (firefox and IE). I sometimes get the "connection has timed out" message, other times "server not found".
  • I have also noticed that the NAT test tool intermittently errors, sometimes if gives "Testing port xxxxx ... OK !", other times, it gives the unknown host or timeout errors. (Error: Unknown host nettest.azureusplatform.com). This may or may not be related, it is still giving me a green NAT status.

Just to emphasis - Azureus itself still runs fine, the problem is the issue it is causing with internet browsing.

There has been a few upgrades to Azureus (and I seem to remember an RSS feed scanner upgrade). Does anyone know of compatibility issues out there?

Here's the stats on my machine:
* Operating System and version: Windows 2000 v5.00.2195 (SP 4), x86
* Java version: Java 1.6.0_05
* Azureus version: 3.0.5.0
* Firewall software + version: n/a
* Internet Service Provider: Telefonica (Spain)
* Using a Router with Network Address Translation? Answers: Yes
o Yes, I have you forwarded a port for Azureus

I have tried to reinstall Azureus, checked Java version and reviewed RSS Feed Scanner, but none of these seem to have resolved the issue so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers, coops

Edited by: coops on Mar 30, 2008 11:57 AM

Edited by: coops on Mar 30, 2008 12:06 PM

Edited by: coops on Mar 30, 2008 11:28 PM
The 8472

Re: Suddenly Azureus causes lost internet connection
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 11:50 AM   in response to: coops in response to: coops

Click to report abuse...
coops

Posted: Mar 30, 2008 11:31 PM   in response to: The 8472 in response to: The 8472

Click to report abuse...
Thanks, I've tried these and they didn't resolve the issue. I still have loss of internet when I connect Azureus.
The 8472

Posted: Mar 31, 2008 11:27 AM   in response to: coops in response to: coops

Click to report abuse...
check your windows event logs for event 4226
coops

Posted: Apr 2, 2008 11:09 AM   in response to: coops in response to: coops

Click to report abuse...
Thanks for the feedback.

In the end, I managed to fix the issue. It turned out that my PC was just cluttered with various malicious items from the web. I ran ad-aware 2007 and my connectivity (and Azureus) is much better.

coops
Washii

Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:10 PM   in response to: coops in response to: coops

Click to report abuse...
Thank you for posting back with your solution. I'll consider adding this information to the 'Read Before Posting' guide across the Support forums.
kansaswizard

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 5:49 PM   in response to: coops in response to: coops

Click to report abuse...
I had a problem with losing all internet connectivity on all the computers on my new router as soon as I started Azureus. I found that once I removed recent plugin updates for IRC, etc, and one of the others (can't remember what it was called) that everything works great. I left the Update Support Patcher and Rating plugins and am now running max download and limited upload speed and all three computers have no slowed response while surfing.

I had uninstalled Azureus and reinstalled 2.5 with updater disabled and everything worked fine but not acheiving the speeds I new I should be getting. I reenabled updater and uninstalled and reinstalled the updates one at a time until I found the two that caused me grief. Took a few reinstalls and uninstalls to find which ones caused the problem but got it now. Something to look in to.

Windows XP SP2
IE7
DSL
D-Link EBR-2310 wired router w/ port forwarding set and UPnP enabled. Global Limit at 100.
Fishbowler

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 8:07 AM   in response to: kansaswizard in response to: kansaswizard

Click to report abuse...
v3 has a lot of "under-the-hood" improvements over v2.5.
If you can re-install that and find out what the other plug-in was, we may be able to recommend a settings change.
kansaswizard

Posted: Apr 15, 2008 5:10 PM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
I did reinstall v3. I just uninstalled the updates: UPnP Media and IRC, etc. I discovered prior to starting this post that with Microsoft Messenger active on my daughters computer it was cutting my download speed in half. Yahoo Messenger has no affect. I am open to any tweaks and will try anything for improvement. I will reinstall all the updates and try all suggestions but if it doesn't match what I'm currently doing, they're gone.
Fishbowler

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 9:35 AM   in response to: kansaswizard in response to: kansaswizard

Click to report abuse...
What port do you have Azureus configured for?
MSN ports are very close the "default" port range.
Try setting the port to something in 50,000's then re-apply your port forwarding.
The later versions of MSN also use Sharing Folders, meaning that you're constantly synchronising files with friends (if they use the feature) - this could be bandwidth intensive.

Edited by: Fishbowler on 16-Apr-2008 17:36
Added sharing folders bit.
kansaswizard

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 4:38 PM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Port - 49152. Don't know why, the number just popped in my head. I have tried many ranges with the updates installed to no avail. I can set it to almost anything without them.

Two friends were having the same connectivity problem. All three of us have different computer manufacturers, routers, and providers. After I suggested they uninstall the same upgrades as I did, their issues disappeared. One was having problem with online gaming on his Xbox while Azureus was active on his computer even when not downloading. He was downloading and online gaming with no issues afterwards. If there isn't an issue with the upgrades, it would be one hell of a coincidence that all of us have the same configuration problem. It could happen though since I turned them on to Azureus and suggested set-up options for them too.

Still open to all ideas and suggestions. I know there's a conflict somewhere. Just haven't figured out where.
Fishbowler

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 9:14 AM   in response to: kansaswizard in response to: kansaswizard

Click to report abuse...
Try simply disabling Azureus' UPnP functionality.
It is, afterall, redundant when you perform your own port forwarding.
This is done in Tools > Options > Plugins > UPnP.
kansaswizard

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 4:14 PM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Step 1: disabled UPnP on computer
Step 2: disabled UpnP on router
Step 3: uninstalled UPnP Update in Azureus
Step 4: reenabled disabled UPnP on computer and router
Step 5: high speed downloads with internet connectivity

I spent most of last Saturday trying different set-ups, configurations, and mixtures. I read post after post and have tried all the basic and advanced options I could find. Nothing worked until I uninstalled the updates.

I know I haven't tried everything so......next.....
Fishbowler

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 9:45 AM   in response to: kansaswizard in response to: kansaswizard

Click to report abuse...
Do you mean that un-installing the UPnP plugins worked, or rolling back to v2.5 again?
kansaswizard

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 4:42 PM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Just uninstalling the UPnP update. I have all the latest and greatest Azureus offers......except that one. I still have updates enabled. I have to go in and uninstall the UPnP Media everytime I activate the program. Even when it list 0.0 for installed size. Just being active messes me up. Uninstall it and all flows well. I tried a few more higher ports and Messenger still slows my downloads by half. Without it, and UPnP, a download that indicates it will take 14 hours will download in about 14-20 minutes. I mean it is that big of a difference.
jinomz

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 3:31 PM   in response to: coops in response to: coops

Click to report abuse...
i have similiar problems, usually i dont have problems with my azureus. but suddenly I'm having not lost of connection but rather "gaps" in connection. I could still browse, but i have 2 refresh it many times before I get result. The same with the azureus "on vuze" browser. when I tried 2 browse for files on "OnVuze", it opens but the images didn't load or this comes out :
Sorry, there was a problem loading this page.
Please check if your internet connection is working and click retry to continue.
err: res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff_webOC.htm#http://www.vuze.com/content/BucketBrowse.htm?sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=1&sp=SPOPULAR&sp=SALL&sp=l23&sp=X&sp=S&sp=X&sp=X&sp=1&sp=0&sp=SALL

when I tried the NAT/firewall Test, the result differ between :
Testing port 46216 ...
NAT Error - Connection reset by peer (124.81.42.81:46216).
or..
OK
or..
Testing port 46216 ...
Unable to test: Invalid port given, or test service failed.
Another application may already be using this port..
(Error: Unexpected end of file from server).

I've tried running Ad-aware 2007 and removed some of the malicious things + Full system scan with my Kaspersky anti virus but still no result.
i've also tried the UPnP suggestion. but still... no results. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

My system :
Jave : ver. 6 update 5
Azureus ver 3.0.5.2
ISP : IndosatM2 cable 384Kbps (Indonesia)
No router just a ext. cable modem /w switch

PS : it seems this problem only appears in my computer, the other computer on my network seems fine.

thx b4
kansaswizard

Posted: Apr 27, 2008 6:09 AM   in response to: jinomz in response to: jinomz

Click to report abuse...
Also remove the IRC update (sorry, can't remember exactly what it's called) with the Uninstall Plugin. I also limit my upload speed so you might play with that. Start low and work your way up until you see a problem. The only plugins I have are the Updater Support and Rating. I took everything else out. MSN Messenger causes me problems too. I have to have my daughter shut it down when Azureus is up or I can't connect on anything.
Fishbowler

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 4:42 AM   in response to: jinomz in response to: jinomz

Click to report abuse...
So far, I've only performed nominal testing on XP SP3, using the last RC.
I didn't spot any troubles there.
Your Vuze troubles may come from IE settings - browse around http://vuze.com/app - all okay there?
Fishbowler

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 4:43 AM   in response to: kansaswizard in response to: kansaswizard

Click to report abuse...
How about simply disabling the plug-in? Does that do the trick?
kansaswizard

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 4:57 PM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Just having the UPnP Update listed causes problems, even though it indicates a size of 0.0. I have no problems surfing with it uninstalled. Even the high rez and fully embedded Vuze site loads fast and is crystal clear. With it listed, it loads like dial-up.
Fishbowler

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 12:29 AM   in response to: kansaswizard in response to: kansaswizard

Click to report abuse...
The 0.0 file size could be the problem. Try installing it manually using a download from http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=azupnpav.

I wonder if there might be conflict somewhere.
Do you have another UPnP Media app actively running somewhere? WMP 11, Nero Home, TVersity..
Do you use VoiP software?
kansaswizard

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 4:13 PM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Tried the manual update. Same problem. I have WMP 11. Acrobat Reader, Nero 6, Zune, Win TV 3. Disabled all through Task Manager. No help. I've tried it by disabling Norton, Zone Alarm, Ad Aware, and almost everything except Explorer itself. Same problem. I know it has to be something with this router, D-Link EBR-2310. Why Messenger on a different computer would interfere with download speeds still has me stumped also. None of this was an issue until I was forced to the new router. Provider tells me it has to be a D-Link because of some protocol they run. Don't understand that one either but they provided it for free. Is there a D-Link more powerful with better configurations selectable that are known to not have issues with Azureus? I will buy one and try it.
jinomz

Posted: Jun 3, 2008 6:37 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
i'm still experiencing this problem but now I've just upgraded my XP to Vista SP1, brand new fresh installation and it still does this.
I wonder if its the connection? but I still only experience the lapse of connection while azureus is on, even when it's doin' nothin'.
Fishbowler

Posted: Jun 3, 2008 9:32 AM   in response to: jinomz in response to: jinomz

Click to report abuse...
Do you know which chipset & network card you're using?
Have you got the latest drivers? Are they WHQL or non-WHQL?
jinomz

Posted: Jun 10, 2008 1:44 PM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
it's WHQL, and i don't use a card but I use the onboard LAN. and it's te latest (brand new Mobo)
btw my Yahoo! Messenger went offline (disconnect) when I open azureus and I have trouble connecting back

can plugins on IE cause this kind of problem? btw I installed the Megaupload toolbar.
and I'm also using IE8 on vista Ultimate SP1
does any of these could somehow contribute to this problem?
I've recently updated the azureus but still no luck, the problem stays. ("gaps" in connection)

i cant browse within "The Vuze" cause it keep failing 2 load the images, or even now it comes a white blank page with a word "null"

and also 1 more thing... my online game connection is fine and i can still download torrent with azureus @ full speed. it's only affecting my browsing capability and my messenger
Edited by: jinomz on 22-Jun-2008 15:54

Edited by: jinomz on 22-Jun-2008 16:03
jinomz

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 3:40 PM   in response to: jinomz in response to: jinomz

Click to report abuse...
i just upgraded to vuze 4.0. and yet my problem continues. now i simply cannot browse within vuze or from my browser when I turn on vuze. It seems that my connection is there but not >.>. anyways I think the problem is in my connection or "sadly" should say my ISP. when I plug my computer @ my cousins place with a different ISP vuze connects and I can browse fine. now I wonder what is it with vuze and my ISP. is it something that vuze does when it launches that doesn't suit my ISP? I really like Vuze but sadly my ISP does not. anyways thanks for the previous help. i just want to make a point here.
justanotheruser

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 11:06 PM   in response to: jinomz in response to: jinomz

Click to report abuse...
I'm almost 100% positive I've heard of some modems doing NATing - yes it seems pointless. I'm wondering if your modem is choking under the load of Vuze. It's pretty hard to check though at a guess...
Fishbowler

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 12:35 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
Good point.
Jinomz - what modem are are you using?
jinomz

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 3:12 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
I used a modem that was given by the ISP it has no brand, the label just say Cable Modem model No.CME210(EU-RoHS)
Fishbowler

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 6:46 AM   in response to: jinomz in response to: jinomz

Click to report abuse...
A quick google shows the CME210 to be a DOCSIS cable modem. No information I've found points to it having a routing ability. Are you using the ethernet port on it (as opposed to the USB)?
jinomz

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 12:59 PM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
i'm using the ethernet, not the usb port
Fishbowler

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 10:24 AM   in response to: jinomz in response to: jinomz

Click to report abuse...
Not that then. Does the NAT test still give the same result?
Shouldn't be this, but just to rule it out, drop you "Max connections globally" to 175 (Tools > Options > Transfer, IIRC)
jinomz

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 10:44 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
now the NAT test post this "binding server socket failed as no compatible addresses are available, please check your bind-to-ip settings" my max global connection is 167 @default, should i rise it to 175? btw my bandwith has risen from 384 kbps to 1 mbps and still vuze fails >.<
jinomz

Posted: Nov 7, 2008 4:20 AM   in response to: jinomz in response to: jinomz

Click to report abuse...
vuze works! on mac anyways. my friend connected his macbook @ my place and can browse vuze freely. and i browsed finely too. but still... my vuze on my PC have the same problem. it's driving me nutz
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums