Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Open Development

Thread: Magnet URL's Dissemination, Doing A Stupid Moment

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Mar 23, 2012 12:18 PM Last Post By: parg
e8hffff

Magnet URL's Dissemination, Doing A Stupid Moment
Posted: Mar 22, 2012 9:49 AM

Click to report abuse...
Just wanted to bring to attention of programmers that it seems Vuze is determining trackers in the url of a Magnet-Link by STUPIDLY looking at the term 'announce'. It shouldn't matter what the string appears as (&tr=xxx), but what the destination acts when interacted with.

Can you please improve your code so that links that don't have 'announce' in them aren't dropped from the tracker list when adding Magnet-Torrent-URLs.

Regarding the term 'announce', it can be targeted in url scans, so we shouldn't reply on that being in the script name or address of a serving application.
e8hffff

Re: Magnet URL's Dissemination, Doing A Stupid Moment
Posted: Mar 22, 2012 10:59 AM   in response to: e8hffff in response to: e8hffff

Click to report abuse...
With further investigation, I was wrong.

Vuze Beta + Stable are ignoring all submitted trackers in the magnet url,

Looks like I'll be moving to other torrent client. I know uTorrent works.

Edited by: e8hffff on 22-Mar-2012 12:59
BLACKMAN 1

Posted: Mar 22, 2012 1:18 PM   in response to: e8hffff in response to: e8hffff

Click to report abuse...
it do not work for me
parg

Posted: Mar 23, 2012 9:48 AM   in response to: e8hffff in response to: e8hffff
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
Try the latest beta. FYI until recently the magnets were used to download entire torrent files using the Vuze DHT to locate peers. This meant that the downloaded torrent already contained the correct tracker list and therefore the &tr arguments were not needed. The &tr arguments are required to support the uTorrent approach to magnet downloads whereby only the 'info' part of the torrent is transferred from other peers, the &tr entries are used to obtain peers to download the torrent and the downloader also has to add the trackers from the &tr entries when constructing the torrent.

In recent betas I have also added support for uTorrent style magnet downloads - this will add the trackers as required.

I might look into ensuring that the &tr trackers are present in the torrents downloaded using the Vuze DHT.

Before calling people stupid I suggest you try to understand the issues - you wouldn't want to end up appearing stupid yourself now, would you?
e8hffff

Posted: Mar 23, 2012 11:40 AM   in response to: parg in response to: parg

Click to report abuse...
in recent betas I have also added support for uTorrent style magnet downloads - this will add the trackers as required.

Thanks. The problem is that the 'tr' field in the url is used by websites copying the magnet links directly. What this means is that if Vuze doesn't read them then the tracker site isn't tracking the torrent's peer status.

On the 'stupid' claim, well the 'tr' field is named for tracking, yet your programming crew didn't respect it of track importance. I now have to wait for the beta to go stable for this problem to be mostly corrected, so many torrents are not tracking properly out in the share environment currently. I did say I was wrong on the 'announce' check.

No offense and I thank you for your works. Please push the beta to live asap, other words please consider freeze on features so beta is complete quicker.

Edited by: e8hffff on 23-Mar-2012 11:47
parg

Posted: Mar 23, 2012 12:18 PM   in response to: e8hffff in response to: e8hffff

Click to report abuse...
Beta is probably more stable than the last release...

Try B32 - it has the magnet changes in it.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums