Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Relation between DHT and IP Filter functionality

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Dec 11, 2011 4:19 PM Last Post By: mr6n8
Peterchen42

Relation between DHT and IP Filter functionality
Posted: Dec 8, 2011 12:27 PM

Click to report abuse...
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to find out if there is a connection between the IP Filter functionality and the DHT functionality.

More specific:

If the IP Filter filters out a specific IP, is it then still possible to get the additional peer source information over the DHT functionality. Or is the IP Filter on connection level and the whole connection gets filtered and I also do not get the additional sources through the DHT functionality.

Thanks for answers.

mr6n8

Re: Relation between DHT and IP Filter functionality
Posted: Dec 8, 2011 12:51 PM   in response to: Peterchen42 in response to: Peterchen42

Click to report abuse...
An IP filter blocklist would not close out DHT completely if that is what you are asking.
If an IP address was within a range on the blocklist, then it would be blocked whether a connection was made through a tracker or DHT (or PEX).

Not sure what you mean about not getting additional sources through DHT.
On the bottom gray bar of Vuze there might be a status indicator for DHT and next to it should be the number of users available (mine shows 1,659,856)
If you are not seeing that, go to Tools>Options>Interface (expand)>Display and enable the "DBB status" option.

If that number is showing 0, then you might not have cleared the UDP port for Vuze (DHT uses UDP).
You can check your UDP port (which is easier if it is the same as TCP) at Help>NAT / Firewall test
Peterchen42

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 1:39 AM   in response to: Peterchen42 in response to: Peterchen42

Click to report abuse...
Thank you for your quick reaction to my question.

My level of information was ...

that my client gets to know about other peers by the response of the tracker and by the DHT functionality.
To get to know about additional peers by DHT, I need a connection to another peer who sends me these additional peer sources.

My question is now if I block a peer because I do not want to get data from him or send data to him, is it still possible to get the mentioned additional sources by DHT.

PS: UDP Port is checked and it is ok.

mr6n8

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 8:36 AM   in response to: Peterchen42 in response to: Peterchen42

Click to report abuse...
I guess I am not understanding your question, since it seems to me you are asking what I answered above.
Peterchen42

Posted: Dec 11, 2011 3:28 PM   in response to: mr6n8 in response to: mr6n8

Click to report abuse...
I am sorry but I still do not get it.

Is it right that ...

if a connection to a peer gets blocked by the ip filter, I am not able to get the additional peer sources from him.

Or ...

the functionality to get additional sources from other peers has nothing to do with the connection that has been blocked an I still get all possible sources.

My goal is to restrict with whom I interchange data, but without loosing any possible source (Tracker, DHT or PEX).

Thanks.

mr6n8

Posted: Dec 11, 2011 4:18 PM   in response to: Peterchen42 in response to: Peterchen42

Click to report abuse...
Peterchen42 wrote:
I am sorry but I still do not get it.

Is it right that ...

if a connection to a peer gets blocked by the ip filter, I am not able to get the additional peer sources from him.

Yes. You are not going to have any communications with that IP.

Not sure why you would want peer sources from someone who you believe is anti-P2P (which is theoretically what the list is all about).

If you connect to one IP (not on the block list) that has DHT enabled, you will get all the peer sources anyways.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums