Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Development Idea for Vuze

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Mar 16, 2011 5:07 AM Last Post By: Th0m4s
Starsquid

Development Idea for Vuze
Posted: Mar 9, 2011 11:36 PM

Click to report abuse...
My main complaint about the current Vuze product is that it's trying to be everything to everybody.

I have a media player. Several actually. Having one built-in is silly... I am only sorry I can't deactivate it or remove it permanently.

I don't need it to keep a library of files. I already do that myself. I download, put a copy in my library, then when I am done seeding, I delete. I have maybe 3 files on Vuze at any given time.

I use torrent site searches, I don't need anything built in.

I burn my own DVD's, I don't need the help of yet another (out of many) application.

The only part of Vuze that I actually use is the core Azureus code.

Vuze should shed the extra stuff, return to what it is supposed to be: Azureus and focus on the only issue that matters: Being the best torrent application possible.

justanotheruser

Re: Development Idea for Vuze
Posted: Mar 10, 2011 1:35 AM   in response to: Starsquid in response to: Starsquid

Click to report abuse...
Just unload those plugins you don't use.
mmore1q3

Posted: Mar 11, 2011 5:31 AM   in response to: Starsquid in response to: Starsquid

Click to report abuse...
And if select to use the old Azureus interface (like I do), Vuze looks pretty much like the old Azureus, but has all the modernizations.
http://forum.vuze.com/ann.jspa?annID=20

And like justanotheruser already told you, you can disable those unwanted plugins, including the built-in media player.
Starsquid

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 7:04 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...

Edited by: Starsquid on Mar 15, 2011 7:16 AM

Apparently I can't delete posts around here even if they're in reply to the wrong thing.
Starsquid

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 7:09 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
Of course, that's what I do too.

What modernizations? There's just Vuze and it's bells and whistles.
mmore1q3

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 7:26 AM   in response to: Starsquid in response to: Starsquid

Click to report abuse...
uTP, other plugins, etc.
Starsquid

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 7:37 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
But that's not for Azureus, that's Vuze.

I think that the Paid version should be named "Vuze," and the unpaid a stand-alone Azureus, with no part of the current "Vuze" attached to it.

Right now there's a choice of Azureus with extras called "Vuze", and Azureus with more extras called "Vuze Plus"

I think that Azureus shouldn't have anything to do with Vuze if it is free. The paid form can be Azureus with extras that together are called Vuze.

I see no benefit whatsoever to the features that the aforementioned "extras" bring to Azureus as a user of a bittorrent client. They're extra space wasted on my machine because I never use them.

justanotheruser

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 8:18 AM   in response to: Starsquid in response to: Starsquid

Click to report abuse...
Sorry but I can't help but think you're being stubborn. If you unload the plugins they aren't consuming memory or CPU time. All they're doing is taking up a very small amount of space on your hard drive. I just looked and a copy of Vuze on OS X comes in at 19.5MB. Firefox comes in at 55.9MB and a copy of Open Office at a stonking 427.1MB. The DHT plugins can be disabled, IRC, RSS, tracker, UPnP & iTunes all can be turned off too. Maybe you'd be better served with a different client, your tastes seem to be minimalistic, possibly the the original BitTorrent client or something like rTorrent. That's a genuine suggestion by the way, not a flippant comment. I like Vuze because of some of the plugins but mostly because of the ability to configure it and the queuing, none of which seem to be requirements of yours.

The beauty of Vuze is that with the exception of certain plugins (or at least this was the case at one point) it is still open source so you're free to create a compact version of you feel that keenly about it, it's just I'd say the efforts will far outweigh the results. You'd save maybe a couple of MB and probably nothing else.
kdean

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 10:40 AM   in response to: Starsquid in response to: Starsquid

Click to report abuse...
Starsquid wrote:
Of course, that's what I do too.

The core azureus code has been updated continously. Also plugins were around with Azureus before it became Vuze, so running with the Classic GUI and a couple of plugins turned off is exactly like running Azureus was, but with the benefit of updates to the core code.
Th0m4s

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 5:07 AM   in response to: Starsquid in response to: Starsquid

Click to report abuse...
I see what you mean, i acctually like it, everything in one. plus, i think the vuze media player is very good and shows great quality videos. its good to have a dvd burner in the program you use to download movies, makes it alot easier, and having to search for movies in the program is great xD. you can always just search on your browser but its alot easier to find movies when you search it on vuze. you get ratings and everything, well, thats what i think about vuze xD
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums