Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: The JVM could not be started. The main method may have thrown an exception

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Feb 10, 2011 7:58 AM Last Post By: yelram4life
jeff823

The JVM could not be started. The main method may have thrown an exception
Posted: Feb 5, 2011 7:58 AM

Click to report abuse...
Just did a fresh install on a new system and right after it finished i got the "The JVM could not be started. The main method may have thrown an exception" error.

Running Windows 7 64bit.

This guy had similiar issue:

"I think my friend changed my setiings and i tried opening vuze i got the error message
"The JVM could not be started. The main method may have thrown an exception". and it wont open now. I asked him and he said he thought he increased the speed. he said he changed the heap. i dont know what that is?
so is there anyway to fix this i tried to uninstall and reinstall vuze and didnt work. so is there any way to fix this? i have a windows 7 laptop"

This solution was given:

"Use File Explorer and navigate to your configuration directory. In that directory do you see a file called java.vmoptions? If you do try moving it to your desktop and see if Vuze now successfully loads. If it does then it is likely your friend tried to change something at which point feel free to tell him he's an idiot. If it doesn't help report back here."

I don't even have a file called: java.vmoptions

any help is appreciated!!!

mmore1q3

Re: The JVM could not be started. The main method may have thrown an exception
Posted: Feb 5, 2011 9:16 AM   in response to: jeff823 in response to: jeff823

Click to report abuse...
Vuze runs ok in my Win7 x64.

You might reinstall both java and Vuze 4.6.0.2. Sometimes the JAR file of Vuze has been damaged and you see that option.

java: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1
Vuze: http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/files/vuze/Vuze_4602/
jeff823

Posted: Feb 5, 2011 10:12 AM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
That worked great! Thanks man...
yelram4life

Posted: Feb 9, 2011 8:17 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3

Click to report abuse...
I tried these options and get the same message... been using azu./vuze for YEARS up until my HD died yesterday and I've never had any problems... New install of Win7 64 bit ultimate. JVM Thrown exception. Any other ideas? I'd hate to leave Vuze after using it for so long... tried uninstalling java and same with the partial install of vuze then reinstalling both. NOTHING I'VE TRIED SEEMS TO WORK! i need to breathe... I just want to download the latest episode of HOUSE... please help?

Edited by: yelram4life on Feb 9, 2011 8:18 PM
light888

Posted: Feb 9, 2011 9:01 PM   in response to: yelram4life in response to: yelram4life

Click to report abuse...
I am on a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 and have been having this problem as well, while trying to get Vuze working again tonight. I believe I have solved the problem by right-clicking on the Vuze icon and choosing Properties, then on the Compatibility tab turning on compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.
light888

Posted: Feb 9, 2011 9:49 PM   in response to: light888 in response to: light888

Click to report abuse...
Update: I'm just trying to get my settings the way I want them, and I'm noticing that when I attempt to change to the Classic Interface and restart Vuze, the change does not take effect and I am still using the newer Vuze interface. :( So far I can't find a way to get it working.
yelram4life

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 7:58 AM   in response to: light888 in response to: light888

Click to report abuse...
Sorry for the freak out last night... I hadn't installed certain Windows updates and I reckon the lack of said updates were prohibiting me from installing Vuze but I got it all figured out now... BTW, the latest episode of HOUSE is frickin' great! (guilty pleasure...)
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums