Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: BT Home Hub & Vuze

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 23, 2011 2:28 PM Last Post By: porkcake
tommypepper

BT Home Hub & Vuze
Posted: Feb 14, 2009 8:11 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hi everyone

I'm fairly new to all this, and have read the forums for a while, but wanted to post in the hope someone would be kind enough to offer a bit of advice as the info on the forums gets a bit overwhelming! I've been reading for days but not really getting anywhere so I thought I'd ask here.

I've got a BT Home Hub with an 8 meg bandwith - I'm wired into it with ethernet cables, running a fairly highish spec XP PC, and when I do online speed tests my average connection is - 6000kb/s download and 360 kb/s upload -

• using the internet is fast, playing online is great, all that kind of thing, so I'm not worried about my internet speed, but I don't think I'm getting very good Vuze speeds. With a variety of torrents, some well-seeded, some not so, I seem to average out at 20 kB/s

I've run all the tests and spent ages reading about set-ups and stuff, but I'm not very good with computers, maths, that kind of thing, and I can't help thinking I'm doing something wrong. I've set up Port Forwarding okay, and all my NAT/Firewall tests are good, but what settings should I apply to Vuze, in regards to Upload/Download speeds? I've got green smiley faces too.

The highest download I remember getting was about 100 kB/s, which I guess is very good, but it lasted for a very short time and went back down low. My average upload speed is about the same as the download speed, i.e. around 20 kB/s

I guess what I'm asking is - am I doing anything wrong, or is this a kind of average speed?

Does anyone have a similar set-up? How have you set up Vuze? In short, what would you suggest I set my settings to?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but any help anyone could give would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tommypepper
mmore1q3

Re: BT Home Hub & Vuze
Posted: Feb 14, 2009 11:38 AM   in response to: tommypepper in response to: tommypepper

Click to report abuse...
I've set up Port Forwarding okay, and all my NAT/Firewall tests are good, I've got green smiley faces too.
Very good. Green smileys tell you that your basic network settings are ok. :-)

I've got a BT Home Hub with an 8 meg bandwith - I'm wired into it with ethernet cables, running a fairly highish spec XP PC, and when I do online speed tests my average connection is - 6000kb/s download and 360 kb/s upload -

• using the internet is fast, playing online is great, all that kind of thing, so I'm not worried about my internet speed, but I don't think I'm getting very good Vuze speeds. With a variety of torrents, some well-seeded, some not so, I seem to average out at 20 kB/s

but what settings should I apply to Vuze, in regards to Upload/Download speeds?
The highest download I remember getting was about 100 kB/s, which I guess is very good, but it lasted for a very short time and went back down low. My average upload speed is about the same as the download speed, i.e. around 20 kB/s.

I would guess that your slow downloads depend to some extent on your slow upload (compared to your download). 360 kilobit/s upload leads to only approx. 36 kB/s as practical upload speed in kiloBytes. Bittorrent clients (like Vuze) reward good uploaders when selecting to whom they send data. So, you will suffer from your vey low upload speed.

Traffic shaping:
In addition, it may also be that your ISP monitors and throttles bittorrent traffic. Check the Bad ISP list: http://wiki.vuze.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs
BT Broadband is on that list.... :-(
If you think you might be blocked/throttled/shaped, you might consider encrypting Vuze traffic: http://wiki.vuze.com/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping

For general discussion on speeds and understanding reasons for them, you might read section B from my Guide: http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?threadID=80454
rebeltuba

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 8:38 PM   in response to: tommypepper in response to: tommypepper

Click to report abuse...
Your speeds are similar to mine, though I have about 35% more upload speed. Even so, I can commonly get download speeds of 300-600K/sec. It took a bit of tweaking, but let me suggest a few things:

1. Are you using Auto Speed (Tools (or Preferences) > Transport > Auto Speed)? If not, try it. Sometimes Vuze will choke the up connection, especially if speeds are unlimited or set too close to the maximum possible. It has to have a little leeway, or protocol traffic that tells peers and seeds that you're ready for more data gets strangled, and download speeds suffer. You should experiment with Auto Speed Classic and Auto Speed Beta to see if they help.

2. Don't allow unlimited connections up or down. Too much protocol traffic can also strangle your downloads. I suggest limiting download connections globally (Options > Transfer) to a couple of hundred, and at your slow upload speed I wouldn't allow more than 7 or 8 upload slots max (also under Option in each detail tab to allow you to adjust each torrent). You can try fiddling with the numbers to see which produces the best results; too many or too few upload slots can mess with your rates. Give the torrent several minutes to stabilize after changing settings.

3. Results vary with the quality of seed and peer connections. Old torrents often have slow and unpredictable seeds that are given low priority, so you don't get much speed out of them. Newer torrents with a lot of seeds and peers usually give good results (but not always). Sometimes you get lucky and get a super-speed peer (or even two) and your rates go through the roof, but you can't count on it.

4. You might consider installing one of the traffic shaping detection plugins. They might let you know if your ISP is messing with your traffic. Try requiring encryption; again with a lot of peers, you should get good results, but with few peers, requiring encryption could slow you down by blocking available connections.

Edited by: rebeltuba on Feb 14, 2009 8:40 PM
tommypepper

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 2:54 PM   in response to: tommypepper in response to: tommypepper

Click to report abuse...
Thanks so much for your time and help guys - I've encrypted my downloads with the RC4 thingy, and have set my "Max connections globally" to 100, and "Max uploads per torrent default" to 7....funny thing is, different times of the day seem to give different download speeds - I guess this is something to do with BT and not me right?

I'm also trying auto speed beta to see if that helps, and will change to classicin a while to see if there's an improvement.

Do I need to change any other options on the Options>Transfer> screen? Currently "Global max upload speed kB/s" is set to 16, download speed is unlimited, and "max connection sper torrent" is at 50....

Thanks for your time though, it is really appreciated, sorry for being such a no-hoper with all this!

tommypepper
rebeltuba

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 7:26 PM   in response to: tommypepper in response to: tommypepper

Click to report abuse...
Are you having any download speed improvements?

Download speeds are going to vary throughout the day. Seeds and leechers will go on and off depending on the use requirements of their computers. Some will only seed at night, some the reverse. If there are a lot of users on your DSL line during the day and early in the evening, it will affect your practical bandwidth. Expect unpredictable rates.

By the way, Autospeed Beta will give a lower upload speed than Autospeed Classic, but you may get higher download speeds from it. If you're serious about seeding, Classic gives you a bit more of a start.

Personally, I don't mess with many of the transfer settings other than the ones I've mentioned. I do allow multiple connections from the same IP and prioritize the first and last pieces of a file, but they're not germane to your speed issues.

Vuze has so many tweaks and settings that it can take years to learn all the ins and outs. I still don't use or know half of what it can do, and I only use the Azureus Classic mode.

Good luck.

Edited by: rebeltuba on Feb 15, 2009 7:26 PM
EvoStevo

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 3:16 PM   in response to: tommypepper in response to: tommypepper

Click to report abuse...
Hi There,

I have a similar set up to yourself, adding another point to what has already mentioned.
I have found that downloading after 2am I am able to get 600kbs, during the day however I suffer the same as you. BT throttle during the day using Vuse, Like you it does not affect gaming or downloading direct from the web. If you get any breakthroughs I would be interested to hear otherwise my advice is do the downloading when you are asleep!!! It is far faster!

Regards

Stev
mmm_free_wig

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 2:08 PM   in response to: tommypepper in response to: tommypepper

Click to report abuse...
I have the same problem with BT.

I see excellent download during the night after 2am, often over 500kb. Through the morning it firstly gets capped at about 130kb, a few hours later 80kb, then 30kb, and during the late efternoon and evening down to a lowly 3kb.

I've played around with as many settings as possilbe to no effect.

If anyone is using BT and has succeeded in getting good download speed all day, let us know the secret, please!!
porkcake

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 2:28 PM   in response to: mmm_free_wig in response to: mmm_free_wig

Click to report abuse...
Hi

i've just moved house and switched from orange BB to BT BB. i was getting upto 800kbs with orange, and it didnt seem throttled, now i'm with BT its 3kbs! frustrating even though a speed test says 3.6Mbs download speed.

this is the first time i've run vuse at my new place, so hopefully (as i've been reading on the forums) it may speed up after midnight.

i've had a play with the settings with no luck.

if anyones got suggestions - lets hear them please!

porkcake
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)