Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: Error: Disk write error - File 'bla bla bla' is in use by 'bla bla bla' ??

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 3. Correct answers available: 1.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jul 25, 2009 3:00 AM Last Post By: mysh13
1i

Error: Disk write error - File 'bla bla bla' is in use by 'bla bla bla' ??
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 4:44 PM

Click to report abuse...
Error: Disk write error - File 'bla bla bla' is in use by 'AC13A440A31AD969C06E730583A25F27960F0A271393 write,AC13A440A31AD969C06E730583A25F27960F0A271402 write', flush fails

client version 3.1.1.0. Java 1.6.0_01 Sun Microsystems Inc.SWT v3430, win32 Windows XP v5.1, x86

I have stopped and started the torrent, error re-occurrs
I have stopped, forced recheck, restarted, the error re-occurrs
I have restarted windows, the error re-occurrs

I've got about 400 mb of a 1.4 gb torrent, so I'd like to rescue it if I can.

Any suggestions?

tia

1i
Fishbowler

Re: Error: Disk write error - File 'bla bla bla' is in use by 'bla bla bla' ??
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 2:54 AM   in response to: 1i in response to: 1i

Click to report abuse...
Do you have an indexing application running? This could be Windows Live Desktop Search, Google Desktop, Roxio Media, Nero, and a host of others.
Especially with MP3's and the like, where extra information is held within the file (in the case of MP3 - ID3 tags) indexing services can cause havoc by locking the files whilst reading the information from them.
The 8472

Posted: Jul 3, 2008 5:40 AM   in response to: 1i in response to: 1i

Click to report abuse...
this means you're running another torrent that's also using the file 'bla bla bla'
1i

Posted: Jul 3, 2008 8:42 AM   in response to: Fishbowler in response to: Fishbowler

Click to report abuse...
Thanks for the help.

I did have a Nero indexing service running, Nero Scout, which was a surprise to me. I removed it with

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"

as the Nero install/modify/remove application somehow neglects to mention Scout.

I also noticed a google toolbar process running; I removed it through the add/remove programs widget.

On starting the torrent, it runs for a period (less than 5 minutes) and then gets the same error. Always on the same file name. No other torrent client is running. If I mark this miserable file as not to be downloaded, I get a different error, (after roughly the same <5 min period). Resume data save fails, file in use.

Did a forced re-check, restarted the torrent. Now, of course, there are no seeds and I'm at 31.3% along with 26 peers, so I don't know if the error will happen again if a write were to actually occurr. So I don't know if this is fixed, or not. I am wondering why an indexing application would be trying to muck with a file that is open for write; I guess those mad media marauders haven't heard of isolation levels and the reassurance involved with a repeatable read.

If/when the torrent starts writing again, I'll update the thread. Does anyone know how to identify the blocking process that is generating this locking error? There has got to be a lock table somewhere that has that info.
jeffw224

Posted: Jul 3, 2008 10:25 AM   in response to: 1i in response to: 1i

Click to report abuse...
I see that The 8472 said it was another torrent using that file and a Google search of AC13A440A31AD969C06E730583A25F27960F0A27 shows this torrent with that as its info hash.
1i

Re: Error: Disk write error - File 'bla bla bla' is in use by 'bla bla bla'
Posted: Jul 3, 2008 11:10 AM   in response to: jeffw224 in response to: jeffw224

Click to report abuse...
That is the torrent that is downloading, and generating the error. There are no other torrents downloading, and that same torrent is not uploading off of a different hash.
The 8472

Posted: Jul 3, 2008 3:10 PM   in response to: jeffw224 in response to: jeffw224

Click to report abuse...
ah, that torrent probably contains a file name collision, i.e. 2 files pointing at the same file name, thus overwriting each other.

THEPIA~1.MP3 probably evaluates to one of the longer names under windows, i suggest you rename that file using the rename functions.
FutureMoth

Re: Error: Disk write error - File 'bla bla bla' is in use by 'bla bla bla'
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 8:46 PM   in response to: 1i in response to: 1i

Click to report abuse...
So, I'm having that same problem. "Disk write error - flush fails, open fails, etc...."
I don't know if any indexing programs that I suddenly would have now that I didn't have before. And yet this only recently started happening.
abud

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 3:20 PM   in response to: 1i in response to: 1i

Click to report abuse...
You had to check it is Vuze problem or windows problem, follow this step:
1. Choose one smallest file that have problem(say named 'something.mp3')
2. Copy paste that file in same location windows will automatically adding "copy of" in start of filename. It will be your backup file and test directory write access. Now you have 'something.mp3' and 'copy of something.mp3'
3. Edit 'something.mp3' using any editor that can edit that file, usually I use kind of HexEditor. If file is small enough, notepad can handle it. Make random changes and save. If there is error message, take a note on that message.

If you can save, then post again here... that means Vuze/torrent problem

but if you cannot... that windows problem, It can be:
1. Another program or user(network user) using that file
2. That file is read only
3. You don't have sufficient permission to write to that file(common problem NTFS)

usually it point 2 or 3.
Don't forget to revert to your backup file.
clarke

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 11:11 PM   in response to: 1i in response to: 1i

Click to report abuse...
its like the file is being used already by another program the easy solution is to stop that program by turning it off either by task manager or though msconfig to keep it from starting when windows starts then the program will only run when it needs to just be careful using mconfig rule of thumb is if you dont understand it dont mess with it. if it is confilicting with another file with the same name just check to see if where the other file is if it is the same file then the above solution will fix the problem otherwise just rename the dl file and it should fix it then just restart VUZE
mysh13

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 3:00 AM   in response to: 1i in response to: 1i

Click to report abuse...
i don't know if anybody has already said this but for me it was that i was downloading two torrents that had the same file names within them. as soon as i stopped downloading that specific file, i was able to download both torrents no problem.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums