Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Community Open Support

Thread: questions about vuze

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Mar 15, 2009 12:28 AM Last Post By: mmore1q3
morticia

questions about vuze
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 10:28 AM
Click to report abuse...
i read this about seeding - Of course, participation in seeding files means that you are making available some of your computer bandwidth to others.

1. how does your computer bandwidth get used?
2. when you stop seeding is that what a leech is?
3. when you stop seeding is your bandwidth back to normal and not being used up?
4. to stop seeding you just click on the file and click stopped, right, just checking and when you open up vuze it wont reactivate unless you let it again?

thanks sorry iam new to this
mmore1q3

Re: questions about vuze
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 11:16 AM   in response to: morticia in response to: morticia
Click to report abuse...
I think you can find answers to many of your questions in http://faq.vuze.com/
You might also start here: http://wiki.vuze.com/index.php/This_funny_word

The "bandwidth" i.e. your internet connection gets used both for your download, and for send material to others (you uploading to other users). Everything you download, comes from other users who see that as uploading from their perspective.
morticia

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 4:02 PM   in response to: mmore1q3 in response to: mmore1q3
Click to report abuse...
thanks for the links but about bandwidth does it go back to normal once you stopped seeding?
morticia

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 7:06 PM   in response to: morticia in response to: morticia
Click to report abuse...
i have another question, when your downloading your seeding right? is there a way to not seed when you download?
Washii

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 8:40 PM   in response to: morticia in response to: morticia
Click to report abuse...
is there a way to not seed when you download?

No. BitTorrent is built on the equal exchange even while downloading.
morticia

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 11:23 PM   in response to: Washii in response to: Washii
Click to report abuse...
oh ok and like i asked earlier, bandwidth- does it go back to normal once you stopped seeding?
mmore1q3

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 12:28 AM   in response to: morticia in response to: morticia
Click to report abuse...
oh ok and like i asked earlier, bandwidth- does it go back to normal once you stopped seeding?
What do you mean by normal?
You have an internet connection from your ISP, which connection has some defined speed = bandwidth.
If you stop Vuze, yes, all Vuze traffic stops, and the whole "bandwidth" is free again for your other internet usage. Is that what you asked?

As long as you have Vuze on, it will use as much bandwidth as you let it, as it tries to download/send material as quickly as possible. This has nothing to do with the phase, if you are downloading or seeding a torrent.

Vuze uploads the ready parts of the file while you are still downloading the remaining part. So, during "download phase" it is both downloading and uploading, and (after torrent is completely downloaded) during "seeding phase" it is only uploading.

You might read sections B and C of my Guide, where speed monitoring and possible speed settings are discussed:
http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?threadID=78768
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)