Community Forums

Home » Vuze Forums » Download / Connection Problems

Thread: Setting up vuze for high download speeds.

Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Aug 26, 2009 6:10 PM Last Post By: yarbersgroove
katkoehler

Setting up vuze for high download speeds.
Posted: Nov 19, 2008 8:19 AM

Click to report abuse...
Hi,

I am completely illiterate when it comes to all this, but I am trying to maximize my download speed. I ran a speed test and my download speed is 1215kbps. I looked at the chart shown in the vuze help section but I don't understand how to figure out the best settings for the Trnasfer settings in Vuze as my speed is not on the chart. It mentions using the IRC to determine them but that is beyond me. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Right now my download speed are around 1.2 Kbps and sometimes 83bps My download speed is approx. 320 Kbps.

In terms of my computer information:

Operating System & version: WinXP SP2
Java version: Java 1.6.0_07
Sun Microsystems Inc.

(All info listed: Java 1.6.0_07
Sun Microsystems Inc.
SWT v3448, win32
Windows XP v5.1, x86
V4.0.0.2 1 az3)

Azareus version: V4.0.0.2
Firewall software & Versions: Norton Systems (Personal FIrewall) version 2007
Internet Service Provider Provider & Version - Telus Highspeed internet

Thanks,
Kathryn K.

Edited by: katkoehler on 18-Nov-2008 11:08 PM

justanotheruser

Re: Setting up vuze for high download speeds.
Posted: Nov 19, 2008 8:24 AM   in response to: katkoehler in response to: katkoehler
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
You didn't understand what I was getting at in my post to your other thread. To achieve the best download speeds you have to maximise the use of your upload speed. That's why the columns are ranked by upload speed and not download speed. BitTorrent uses tit-for-tat so the faster you can upload on a torrent the more the other peers will reciprocate - meaning faster download speeds.

So perform the speed tests again but this time make a note of your upload speeds. Check that against the wiki table and see if that makes more sense.
katkoehler

Posted: Nov 19, 2008 8:53 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
Once again thanks for your help. I set up my options in transfer and Queue. BTW, it there an upload speed that is considered to be GOOD. When I look at the speed of the torrents I often see an upload speed of around
6.4Kbps? *My upload speed when I did a speed test is 376Kbps
Your thoughts would be welcome as you explain these well.

Thanks.
Kathryn K.

Edited by: katkoehler on 19-Nov-2008 8:56 AM
mmore1q3

Posted: Nov 19, 2008 8:55 AM   in response to: katkoehler in response to: katkoehler
Correct
Click to report abuse...
No, there is not.
It typically makes good sense to restrict the global upload speed in Vuze to 5-10 kB/s lower than your ISP promises you. Thus you let enough bandwidth free for using web browser smoothly, in addition to Vuze running at "full speed" in background.

For example, I have 1 megabit upstream = approx 100 kB/s, so I have set max. upload speed to 94 kB/s in Vuze.
jeffw224

Posted: Nov 19, 2008 9:16 AM   in response to: katkoehler in response to: katkoehler
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
With an upload speed of 376kbps on the speed test, a cap of 37kB (about 80% of your upload capacity) in Vuze should allow enough room for communications and help download speeds (and web surfing).

You can also use the Azureus Upload Settings Calculator to give the proper numbers for adjustments to the upload and other options.

Be sure to enter the 376 in the kiloBit/second box.
justanotheruser

Posted: Nov 19, 2008 9:19 AM   in response to: katkoehler in response to: katkoehler
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
So 376Kbps is 47KB/s. Leaving yourself a little wriggle room (see mmore1q3's post) means a maximum of around 40 is about right. If you begin to find that browsing the web starts becoming laggy during certain hours you may want to reduce your maximum upload speed.

As to the average upload speed per torrent. It's based on many factors, with some of the out of your control. Speeds are dependent on the number of peers you're connected to and how many each of those peers is connected to themselves. If they're connected to somebody with a 10Mbps upload speed (that's 1280KB/s) you'll struggle to get any upload as they'll favour that peer. That's why Vuze has all of these queuing rules. It's about starting the minimum number of torrents that maximise your upload speed.
katkoehler

Posted: Nov 19, 2008 9:32 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
Thanks so much to "just another user (Again :)) and to jeffw224. You have both helped me settle this issue. don't usually get help from forums so I am finding the Vuze forums to be excellent and I would certianly recommend this program to others because so much excellent and clear help is available for problem solving.

Thanks again.
Kathryn K.
jonahdotDenver

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 7:29 AM   in response to: justanotheruser in response to: justanotheruser

Click to report abuse...
Hello,
I'm new to this, what do you mean when you say 'Check it to the wiki table'?

Thanks

justanotheruser

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 8:49 AM   in response to: jonahdotDenver in response to: jonahdotDenver

Click to report abuse...
Compare your upload speed to those presented in the table on the Good Settings page in the Azureus wiki.
yarbersgroove

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 6:10 PM   in response to: katkoehler in response to: katkoehler

Click to report abuse...
In the matter of setting the upload and download speeds for Vuze i found that for me that using the unlimited setting works best, and then again maybe you need to check the seed level before downloading torrents.
Legend
Master: 800 - 9999 pts
Expert: 400 - 799 pts
Advanced: 200 - 399 pts
Intermediate: 100 - 199 pts
Beginner: 50 - 99 pts
Newbie: 0 - 49 pts
Vuze Staff Member
Vuze Community Moderator
Helpful Answer (3 pts)
Correct Answer (5 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums